Logan Flight Additions

Lrfox

Reaction score
Interestingly enough with all this talk of American's contraction, AA announced new daily nonstop between BOS-LHR on a 777-200 starting in March. Buried in news of their Miami-South America adds (seemingly in response to the LATAM/Delta news). I wonder if this will have any impact on BA's BOS-LHR operations, or if BA will continue to operate as normal.

Massachoicetts

Reaction score
Interestingly enough with all this talk of American's contraction, AA announced new daily nonstop between BOS-LHR on a 777-200 starting in March. Buried in news of their Miami-South America adds (seemingly in response to the LATAM/Delta news). I wonder if this will have any impact on BA's BOS-LHR operations, or if BA will continue to operate as normal.

it has been confirmed that the AA flight addition will compliment BA's 4x Daily service, meaning Oneworld has 5 daily LHR flights. Boston will have 8 daily flights to LHR and 2 more to LGW, meaning the BOS-LON market will have 10 a day.

Level is also starting 3x weekly service to ORY airport, meaning the BOS-PAR market will have 4x Daily to CDG, and 3W to ORY next summer. So peak days will see 5 flights a day to Paris. Thats insane. Back in 1995, BOS had 1x to CDG on TWA and 5W on Air France.

This is great for Boston's economy. Companies will love this ... hopefully we see a few more developments spur from all this insane growth of air traffic in Boston. We should grow a healthy 10% this year to 9.5 million pax this year, and possibly 11-12 mil by 2022.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I do wonder how this large London growth will impact Norwegian's LGW-BOS passenger numbers. I've taken it a few times and it seems well travelled but it has notably bad connections on both sides of the Atlantic since they aren't part of a big alliance. Means that most consumer sites won't reccomend them because they usually rely on multi-ticket flights with no guaranteed connections unless you happen to be going just from LGW to BOS.

I'd personally like to see perhaps JetBlue partner with them but with their upcoming offerings it seems unlikely. JetBlue used to partner with Thomas Cook and offer single bookings from anywhere JetBlue served, via Boston to Manchester with Thomas Cook. Obviously that is no more. The JetBlue to Thomas Cook connection was even useful because you flew into terminal C on JetBlue and could connect to terminal E without leaving security.

tysmith95

Reaction score
^London is a market with a large Origin and Destination market. Still, there is a good chance that it could be over capacity with these new flights.

whighlander

Reaction score
^London is a market with a large Origin and Destination market. Still, there is a good chance that it could be over capacity with these new flights.
All dependent on BREXIT and potential Trade Deal with US

One proposal which I just heard about -- without any official statements so far -- would extend the new USMCA to incorporate the UK as well [UK economy is more compatible with US and CA than with bulk of the EU]

Boston and Logan could really gain from such an agreement due to the approximately 1 hour closer flights via BOS

Massachoicetts

Reaction score
Very much so. AA should think about trying to connect passengers through places like Syracuse, Harrisburg, Rochester and eventually any newer flights they get. I think 10 flights a day to London with an A380 on BA is a bit overkill. Not to mention, B6 is planning a LON flight... ssomeone (Most likely Norwegian) is going to be shut off the route. But maybe not, the vast majority of

Also Im sitting in AA concourse now and the terminal from 5-7pm only has a few occupied gates. 1 LGA, 2 DCA, 1 ORD, 1 MIA, 1 SYR and a CLT. But by 8pm, I think only a DCA flight or two will be going out. They definetly have the gate space for LHR and possibly more expansions. This is prime time for TATL and the gates are pretty empty too. It doesnt hurt that this new Terminal B is absolutely gorgeous... Id love to see AA pick up a SAN, CDG again and possibly something to the Bay area. Love all these expansions however from AA affter a solid 14 years of downsizing.

kmp1284

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to see otherwise I don't think any expansion by AA is in the cards. This is all about the BA/AA JV and AA having the fleet elasticity to provide the added lift. BA is seemingly always short on planes and is also in the process of retrofitting 777-200s with their new business class product. I wouldn't be surprised to see this switch over to BA metal in the future, assuming it lasts.

tysmith95

Reaction score
AA lost a big opportunity when they receded from the Boston market, Boston has been very profitable for DL and Jetblue.

stellarfun

Reaction score
Very much so. AA should think about trying to connect passengers through places like Syracuse, Harrisburg, Rochester and eventually any newer flights they get. I think 10 flights a day to London with an A380 on BA is a bit overkill. Not to mention, B6 is planning a LON flight... ssomeone (Most likely Norwegian) is going to be shut off the route. But maybe not, the vast majority of

Also Im sitting in AA concourse now and the terminal from 5-7pm only has a few occupied gates. 1 LGA, 2 DCA, 1 ORD, 1 MIA, 1 SYR and a CLT. But by 8pm, I think only a DCA flight or two will be going out. They definetly have the gate space for LHR and possibly more expansions. This is prime time for TATL and the gates are pretty empty too. It doesnt hurt that this new Terminal B is absolutely gorgeous... Id love to see AA pick up a SAN, CDG again and possibly something to the Bay area. Love all these expansions however from AA affter a solid 14 years of downsizing.
Data may be more authoritative, but when they jiggered the gates on the AA side of B, they made no provision for a gate for aircraft larger than a 757. This is unlike the United gates, where there is at least one gate that can accommodate a 777.

kmp1284

Reaction score
AA lost a big opportunity when they receded from the Boston market, Boston has been very profitable for DL and Jetblue.
Not sure there’s room for two legacies to have major operations in Boston.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
Not sure there’s room for two legacies to have major operations in Boston.
I think the interesting point is AA did create the secondary hub in Boston in the '00s, then pulled away from that concept. Not necessarily because Boston didn't work as a secondary hub, but they walked away from the concept wholesale, across their network.

Now DL is recreating the same concept. Perhaps with better timing (many more international connection options).

jass

Reaction score
AA also just lost the entire south american business market.

I cant see them holding up through the next recession. Thats what happens when you let Ameria West runa global airline.

whighlander

Reaction score
I agree, though Delta just moved in because American was cutting back.
Key was Delta had originally planned for this -- that's why they built Terminal A -- it was to be the Delta Terminal -- now it is becoming the Delta Terminal the same way Terminal C is now essentially the Jet Blue Terminal

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Flight's now available on AA.com

dep BOS 7:30p, arr LHR 7:30a
dep LHR 9:35a, arr BOS 12:35p
Brings back memories...I was routinely on AA's 777-200 to LHR out of BOS on business travel in the 2006-2008 timeframe. Was sad to see AA first downgrade the equipment, then shut down the service (even though, beyond nostalgia, obviously no big deal with the BA interline options).

To be honest, with their strategic decisions re: BOS since then, I'm quite surprised it's back. Might have to hop on this thing for old time's sake.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
Flight's now available on AA.com

dep BOS 7:30p, arr LHR 7:30a
dep LHR 9:35a, arr BOS 12:35p
I'm not sure I understand the market choice here. British Airways (same alliance and codeshare) does a 747:

dep BOS 7:55p, arr LHR 6:30a

Which is quicker, cheaper, leaves at the same time and has more seats.

Edit: the more I search, the more confused I get. BA also runs a A380:

dep BOS 7:15p, arr LHR 6:50a

That's so much capacity on one codeshare all leaving within an hour of each other...

Edit 2: after further research it looks like the BA 747 is ending that month actually... Is that right? That'll be sad, fond memories of transatlantic 747s to Boston.

Last edited:

mass88

Reaction score
Looks like JetBlue is closing down Mexico City effective January. So Boston will lack non-stop service to Mexico City again.

adamh8297

Reaction score
Korean Air going daily on Boston-Seoul in May with 77W aircraft (more J class and also has F) on the two new frequencies (Mon/Thurs).