Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

That would be interesting. Has there ever been regularly scheduled non-stop service between Logan and Africa?

Does Praia count?

Yeah, Cape Verde is in africa. Just not the mainland.

If Praia counts as Africa, does Ponta Delgada? Yes, the Azores are politically part of Europe, but so are Guadeloupe and Martinique. Geographically, Cape Verde and the Azores (as well as Madeira and the Canary Islands) are all part of Macaronesia.

I think the point stands that (as far as we know) there has never been a direct commercial flight from Boston to mainland continental Africa.

If Praia counts as Africa, does Ponta Delgada? Yes, the Azores are politically part of Europe, but so are Guadeloupe and Martinique. Geographically, Cape Verde and the Azores (as well as Madeira and the Canary Islands) are all part of Macaronesia.

I think the point stands that (as far as we know) there has never been a direct commercial flight from Boston to mainland continental Africa.

About a decade ago, there wasnt a single flight between the US and African mainland. This was when the only existing flight (Houston to Lagos) ended.

American Airlines Introduces Premium A321T Aircraft to Transcontinental Service Between Los Angeles and Boston

A321T flight schedule (subject to change):
LAX–BOS
AA156 Departs LAX at 7:45 a.m.
AA156 Arrives BOS at 4:16 p.m.
AA2455 Departs LAX at 9:55 p.m.
AA2455 Arrives BOS at 6:22 a.m.

BOS–LAX
AA211 Departs BOS at 7:24 a.m.
AA211 Arrives LAX at 11:10 a.m.
AA2542 Departs BOS at 5:45 p.m.
AA2542 Arrives LAX at 9:28 p.m.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...e-Between-Los-Angeles-and-Boston/default.aspx

I go by tectonic plates. The Azores are mostly on the Eurasian plate with a couple on the north american plate. Cape Verde is 100% on the African plate.

I also consider the Canaries to be in Africa for the same reason.

About a decade ago, there wasnt a single flight between the US and African mainland. This was when the only existing flight (Houston to Lagos) ended.

First do you mean sub-saharan Africa? EgyptAir has been on Cairo-JFK for a long time. I need to check on Royal Air Maroc too.

I believe South Africa has been connected to the USA for over a decade but I think some flights may have stopped in Ghana or Cape Verde. I'll check the history when I get a chance with aviationdb.net.

First do you mean sub-saharan Africa? EgyptAir has been on Cairo-JFK for a long time. I need to check on Royal Air Maroc too.

I believe South Africa has been connected to the USA for over a decade but I think some flights may have stopped in Ghana or Cape Verde. I'll check the history when I get a chance with aviationdb.net.

The South African flights stopped in Cape Verde for gas.

But you know what, I was thinking direct flights by US carriers.

i flew jfk-accra sometime around 2008 or 2009 i think

There have been flights from Dulles to Addis Ababa for a long time, I believe. This is one of the busiest North America - Africa flights as Addis is a regional hub.

There have been flights from Dulles to Addis Ababa for a long time, I believe. This is one of the busiest North America - Africa flights as Addis is a regional hub.

Ethiopian used to stop in Rome both ways but now only stops in Rome one way since 2007.

I would love to see Ethiopian come to Logan.

To follow up Royal Air Maroc and EgyptAir have been at JFK for over 15 years.

South African actually had stints in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Atlanta in late 90's and early 2000's.

In 2000 South Africa ran 4 weekly Jo'burg-Cape Verde (Sal)-Atlanta-Jo'burg and 3 weekly Cape Town-Fort Lauderdale-Atlanta-Cape Town

We're starting to see what Delta has in store for Boston once they take full control of A

Washington Reagan starts September 8 at 6 daily
Newark starts September 8 at 4 daily
Chicago O'Hare starts September 8 at 5 daily

Air Canada is trimming its Vancouver to Boston seasonal service. The flights will not operate in May this year and they've cut frequency in September.

United is dropping Cleveland service from Boston. Last flights at March 7, 2019.

UPDATE

Official Delta press release

https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-m...rs-chicago-cleveland-newark-and-washington-dc

They're also adding Cleveland.

Cleveland beings April 1, 2019 - 3 x daily
Chicago O'Hare begins September 9, 2019 - 5 x daily
Newark begins September 9, 2019 - 4 x daily
Washington Reagan begins September 9, 2019 - 6 x daily

Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville and Philadelphia will also see frequency additions.

Delta will also be upgrading one of its two SkyClubs in 2020.

Last edited:

Excellent. I hate United, and the only other choice is Jetblue, but I have yet to get on this flight anywhere remotely on time. Sorry Jetblue, I love your planes, but my flight shouldnt take longer than Amtrak.

6x daily to Reagan is aggressive.

The AA shuttle is getting hit hard with competition, with Jetblue bringing down LGA yields and now Delta at Reagan.

Also someone must have tipped UA off that DL was planning on starting CLE flights. Not a big enough market for 4 carriers (B6, DL, NK)

Last edited:
Air Canada is trimming its Vancouver to Boston seasonal service. The flights will not operate in May this year and they've cut frequency in September.

Really wish they flew this route in the winter so I could do a long weekend of skiing in BC without connecting.

We're starting to see what Delta has in store for Boston once they take full control of A

Washington Reagan starts September 8 at 6 daily
Newark starts September 8 at 4 daily
Chicago O'Hare starts September 8 at 5 daily

United is dropping Cleveland service from Boston. Last flights at March 7, 2019.

UPDATE

Official Delta press release

https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-m...rs-chicago-cleveland-newark-and-washington-dc

They're also adding Cleveland.

Cleveland beings April 1, 2019 - 3 x daily
Chicago O'Hare begins September 9, 2019 - 5 x daily
Washington Reagan begins September 9, 2019 - 6 x daily

Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville and Philadelphia will also see frequency additions.

Delta will also be upgrading one of its two SkyClubs in 2020.

Nashville native here! Good news for us!

Back