Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Surprising that Jet Blue decided to close the Dulles station within a few months of Amazon announcing it's selection of it's new headquarters location, with the odds on favorite being Northern VA/DC. If indeed, the Dulles area were chosen, the travel business between Dulles and Logan would increase tremendously. Maybe Jet Blue knows something we don't.

Surprising that Jet Blue decided to close the Dulles station within a few months of Amazon announcing it's selection of it's new headquarters location, with the odds on favorite being Northern VA/DC. If indeed, the Dulles area were chosen, the travel business between Dulles and Logan would increase tremendously. Maybe Jet Blue knows something we don't.

Where in Northern Virginia would the campus be built? My guess is that Jetblue feels their presence at DCA is sufficient to capture DC traffic and Northern Virginia traffic. They run year round, daily non-stop flights to a pretty decent network - Boston, Charleston, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Hartford, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, San Juan, Nassau and West Palm Beach.

Where in Northern Virginia would the campus be built?

The most likely HQ2 site is said to be literally across the street from Dulles Airport (the street being VA-28, and admittedly, the airport has a big front yard), but basically you can think of it as if the Boston HQ2 were at Maverick or Wood Island.

The 30-acre CIT campus and 2 adjacent parcels (all basically greenfield, and "right there" on both the highway grid and WMATA's Metro Silver Line)

CIT is also getting its own Metro stop (Innovation Center, now under construction), putting it 1 stop away from the airport.

http://www.dullesmetro.com/silver-line-stations/

If Amazon does pick that spot (at the star, below), I don't see how JetBlue could resist having to reopen its IAD service from at least FLL, BOS, JFK, and LGB. Or, if Boston gets HQ2, it is hard to see how they don't ask for IAD as a destination in its own right.

5abe74282f2ece1c008b4646-960-720.png

Last edited:
The most likely HQ2 site is said to be literally across the street from Dulles Airport (the street being VA-28, and admittedly, the airport has a big front yard), but basically you can think of it as if the Boston HQ2 were at Maverick or Wood Island.

The 30-acre CIT campus and 2 adjacent parcels (all basically greenfield, and "right there" on both the highway grid and WMATA's Metro Silver Line)

CIT is also getting its own Metro stop (Innovation Center, now under construction), putting it 1 stop away from the airport.

http://www.dullesmetro.com/silver-line-stations/

If Amazon does pick that spot (at the star, below), I don't see how JetBlue could resist having to reopen its IAD service from at least FLL, BOS, JFK, and LGB. Or, if Boston gets HQ2, it is hard to see how they don't ask for IAD as a destination in its own right.

It's also possible that JetBlue is not one of Amazon's major air carriers and there's simply no reason for them to be in the market. Considering how little they offer in Seattle, I think that's a fairly safe bet. Also worth noting is that most people who travel frequently for business want the flexibility of a major airline and some of the perks like upgrades and lounge access.

Last edited:
^ KMP, can you edit that post to remove the giant graphic (since it is not salient for your response)?

I think we know that even if B6 isn't an AMZN corporate travel partner, that its going to be irresistible for job interviews and vendors to access a campus across the street from IAD (even the way DCA serves Crystal City)

It's also possible that JetBlue is not one of Amazon's major air carriers and there's simply no reason for them to be in the market. Considering how little they offer in Seattle, I think that's a fairly safe bet. Also worth noting is that most people who travel frequently for business want the flexibility of a major airline and some of the perks like upgrades and lounge access.

Yup, corporate contracts are a big deal.

Not huge news by any stretch, but BOS will be one of the first U.S. cities to see service on the new a220. Starting in January, Delta will run it between BOS and LGA: https://news.delta.com/delta-s-new-a220-narrowbody-coming-sale-january-debut

I assume this will replace the 717s (the A320s probably aren't going anywhere) they use frequently on the route?

Jetblue will also replace the E190 with the a220 over the next 10 years.

The a220 is smaller then the A320, competing more with E190s or 717s and MD-90s

Jetblue is also going to close three stations - Daytona Beach, St. Croix and Washington Dulles.

Someone posted a slide over on airliners.net that mentioned expanded service from Boston to Aruba, Nassau, Orlando, Punta Cana, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.

These increases are loaded but somewhat seasonal. For example Santiago-DR is increased for January and February only and Nassau for March/April.

Boston-Aruba is growing like a weed. JetBlue will average three daily flights in peak season and there's an overall peak of 5 flights on Saturday (4 Jetblue 1 Delta). Punta Cana wins the peak flight contest with 6 (4 JetBlue, 1 Delta, 1 American).

Aeromexico is suspending service to Boston, along with Portland (OR) and Washington Dulles (not a good week for IAD). Last flights are January 6, 2019.

Looks like JetBlue gets a nice gift just in time for their upcoming services.

Aeromexico is suspending service to Boston, along with Portland (OR) and Washington Dulles (not a good week for IAD). Last flights are January 6, 2019.

Looks like JetBlue gets a nice gift just in time for their upcoming services.

Having flown to Mexico City a couple of years ago, the 4:25am arrival time into Mexico City was a big factor why I didn't book (via SkyMiles) with AeroMexico and flew Delta via JFK instead.

I've got to think that late night/early AM arrival is far from ideal for people considering a nonstop from Boston.

Probably very much off-topic, but I've been noticing lots of new flights and possibly new airlines at T.F. Green. Anyone have the pulse on what's been cooking there?

Having flown to Mexico City a couple of years ago, the 4:25am arrival time into Mexico City was a big factor why I didn't book (via SkyMiles) with AeroMexico and flew Delta via JFK instead.

I've got to think that late night/early AM arrival is far from ideal for people considering a nonstop from Boston.

It is. In February when we flew, we chose a slightly more expensive flight via IAH on United rather than the direct on Aeromexico due to the timing. I'm sad an international carrier is pulling out, but it was a crappy flight and at least the route is still served.

Delta to launch season daily Boston- Edinburgh on D1 loaded 757 in May 2019.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...ttish-capacity-with-second-edinburgh-us-route

This is great! Did BOS-EDI via DUB on Aer Lingus two weeks ago and I've been miffed that Norwegian is the only direct flight there from New England and that's out of PVD (though not for much longer I think).

Mexico City airport is full, so most US flights arrive at garbage times. I think the new Jetblue flight from BOS was able to grab a slot that Alaska dropped from LAX.

When the new airport opens in 2-3 years, everyone will be able to fly it at a better time.

Sucks that theyre dropping it, but the flight was never competitive price-wise, and Jetblue blew them away with the new flight. (Although Jetblue is also dropping some MEX frequency from Florida)

Its been quiet in this thread since the recent JetBlue additions.

1)Southwest has made some changes in recent schedule update.

Increased St Louis (5 daily) and Nashville (4 daily). Atlanta appears to be in critical care and Indianapolis on life support (1 weekly probably to position a plane). Chicago-Midway got trimmed to 5 daily and Kansas City/Houston-Hobby got trimmed to one daily.

Southwest will now have same amount of flights to St Louis as Chicago-Midway

There are rumors of Indianapolis getting a new carrier which could be JetBlue entering the market from Boston.

2) Massport had a recent board presentation with Norwegian starting Boston-Rome but with Norwegian's fleet and financial issues that may have been put on hold. http://massport.com/media/3010/final_september-board-deck_92019-website-watermark.pdf

3) Sichuan Airlines has not loaded the Chengdu flights yet.

Back