Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Well props to you for digging up a post from over 3 years ago.

It did take me awhile to type the word "Hawaii" into the search box at the top of this thread. I was curious if anyone had predicted this route per jass' post.

Absolutely. And I've done this (Sydney to Chicago, with stopover in Honolulu) and it is fantastic. We were on a Hawaiian 767 on the Sydney to Honolulu leg, and of the ~250 people on board, only a small handful of us went through the immigration/customs line for U.S. citizens, and the rest were in the other line...so we FLEW through. (Tourism of Australian nationals to Hawaii is actually a thing). Not to mention that Honolulu is basically directly en route from Sydney, not out of the way at all distance-wise. And it nicely breaks up the flight from a duration standpoint.

So, yes, Hawaiian air is already on that route on the other end.

Long story short, your observation is correct: a GREAT stopover (and perhaps layover) spot.

Not to mention, if you do a stopover coming from Sydney, your flight basically straddles the international date line, so you end up with this weird effect of being in the same calendar day for some very large number of hours.
I'm actually doing this route this December (SYD to HNL to JFK to BOS). Leaving Sydney in the afternoon on 12/10, arriving in Honolulu on the morning of 12/10.

Lots of airliners.net items:

Sun Country going seasonal on Minneapolis-Boston and will not fly between 1/7 and mid-Spring.

Delta is rumored to launch seasonal Boston-Lisbon in Summer 2019

Air Italy (formerly Meridiana and 49% owned by Qatar Airways) is planning 4 new North American destinations from Milan-Malpensa. An airliners.net poster who was right about KLM has mentioned Milan is a possibility but didn't say who.

Norwegian is dropping Providence-Edinburgh

The last one has a better source:

Guangzhou Airport announced that China Southern will serve Boston by 2020

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/34947-...-flight-routes-from-chinese-city-of-guangzhou

Air Italy already serves what? New York and Miami in North America?

Boston being one of the 4 adds makes sense, they need to fly their incoming sizable fleet of long range Boeing 787 planes somewhere.

I'd really like to see how Massport will handle all of the service come April. Assuming Primera actually launches Brussels, Berlin, Frankfurt and Madrid, plus Air Italy to Milan, Terminal E is going to be a mess for the late afternoon/early evening rush.

I am going to guess it's too late, but Massport should have just built the entire Terminal E expansion in one shot rather than doing the 4 new wide-body gates for later 2021 and then the 3 additional gates for some time in 2026.

I am going to guess it's too late, but Massport should have just built the entire Terminal E expansion in one shot rather than doing the 4 new wide-body gates for later 2021 and then the 3 additional gates for some time in 2026.

Absolutely agree! Massport's success at landing foreign carriers to Logan over the past 12 years is the envy of airports around the country, but this success has not been followed with Massport's expansion of Terminal E to accommodate this growth.

http://sponsored.bostonglobe.com/rocklandtrust/infrastructure-logan/

So what are the needs now and how do you prioritize them?

A: The biggest one is adding seven gates to Terminal E, the international terminal. It was built with 12 gates in 1974 for 1.5 million passengers per year, and we now have six million passengers coming through those same 12 gates. We’ve gone from about 26 international flights per day in 2006 to 53 per day in 2016. That’s about a $750 million project over multiple years. That’s all funded. The second project deals with the shortage of parking spaces. In 1974 we had about 10 million passengers and 10,000 parking spaces. Now we have 36 million passengers and 18,000 spaces. We went from a 1-to-1 to a 2-to-1 ratio. So parking is a pretty serious problem. We have a plan for 5,000 new parking spaces and that’s a $250 million project that’s moving through the environmental permitting process.

I pulled the above quote from an interview with Massport CEO Thomas Glynn back in Feb, 2017. Terminal E was built in 1974 with 12 gates, and Terminal E still has 12 gates even though the number of passengers jumped from 1.5 million per year to six million passengers. Finally, something is getting done with Terminal E!

JetBlue is adding seasonal flights to Palm Springs. Twice weekly flights beginning February 14, 2019 and they will end on April 30, 2019.

Schedule:

BOS - PSP Flight #1405 PSP - BOS Flight #1406
5:01 p.m. – 8:31 p.m. 9:26 p.m. – 5:30 a.m. (+1)

Jetblue is also in a rapid decline to shit city. Just announced basic economy.

Jetblue is also in a rapid decline to shit city. Just announced basic economy.

What’s the problem with that? There’s obviously a segment of the traveling population whose only standard of service is that the plane doesn’t fall out of the sky en-route.

What’s the problem with that? There’s obviously a segment of the traveling population whose only standard of service is that the plane doesn’t fall out of the sky en-route.

Umm, what's your problem with Jass' comment:
Just because market forces prompted JetBlue's move doesn't mean Jass has to like the product that came out of it...that's his/her prerogative. Since when did capitalism mean we aren't entitled to thinking something is shit, even if we're stuck buying it?

And secondly, JetBlue has to deal with the word-of-mouth shitting upon them that is going to result from choices such as this.

Jass' spreading of-the-negative-word is part of the very system you think is "natural"

Also part of that system: JetBlue loyalists who had fallen into a bit of complacency in terms of being vigilant for competing options...will now become more vigilant, thanks to Jass and people like him/her that help spread the word...

I will be sure to tell all my friends to watch out for JetBlue's declining product.

Just because market forces prompted JetBlue's move doesn't mean Jass has to like the product that came out of it...that's his/her prerogative. Since when did capitalism mean we aren't entitled to thinking something is shit, even if we're stuck buying it?

And secondly, JetBlue has to deal with the word-of-mouth shitting upon them that is going to result from choices such as this.

Jass' spreading of-the-negative-word is part of the very system you think is "natural"

Also part of that system: JetBlue loyalists who had fallen into a bit of complacency in terms of being vigilant for competing options...will now become more vigilant, thanks to Jass and people like him/her that help spread the word...

I will be sure to tell all my friends to watch out for JetBlue's declining product.

First off, full details of what their basic economy will include have not come out. Second, JetBlue is just matching what the the US3 legacies have already done in that they've added basic economy tickets. So United, Delta and American have all added this fare class recently.

As long as they don't lessen their seat pitch and also lessen the seat pitch on the Even More Space seats (one of the best values in US aviation), then this should not have any major negative affects for JetBlue.

They do however need to revamp their operations for better on time performance.

First off, full details of what their basic economy will include have not come out. Second, JetBlue is just matching what the the US3 legacies have already done in that they've added basic economy tickets. So United, Delta and American have all added this fare class recently.

As long as they don't lessen their seat pitch and also lessen the seat pitch on the Even More Space seats (one of the best values in US aviation), then this should not have any major negative affects for JetBlue.

They do however need to revamp their operations for better on time performance.

mass88, come on. kmp's comments were ideological, and not about the specifics. My comments were not about the specifics either.

Moreover, a "watch out" warning is what JetBlue's announcement warrants.

And, finally, the US3's "basic economy" product is NOT identical across all three; the features and privileges vary.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see how JetBlue plays this. It is easy to say "they are simply responding to the market"...yet it is hard to get the details right. Many a strategic product manager have been fired for getting it wrong in the history of consumer commerce...

I never said he had to like it nor did I mean to imply that he was wrong to express his outrage. I’m sure I’d be ticked if I had been a JetBlue loyalist and was used to getting a certain level of service for my dollar. Most of the other major airlines have adopted a similar offering though and it seems to be working for them so if the consumer doesn’t approve then they can use another airline(maybe Southwest?) or book a different fare tier.

I never said he had to like it nor did I mean to imply that he was wrong to express his outrage. I’m sure I’d be ticked if I had been a JetBlue loyalist and was used to getting a certain level of service for my dollar. Most of the other major airlines have adopted a similar offering though and it seems to be working for them so if the consumer doesn’t approve then they can use another airline(maybe Southwest?) or book a different fare tier.

Fair enough, and peace

I don't see any issue with JetBlue adding a basic economy product. From what I have heard, the tvs aren't going anywhere, the leg room will still be among the best in the sky for domestic carriers and the snacks still unlimited. Also, they do not plan to charge for carry on baggage so you can still bring your backpack/briefcase to put in front of you in addition to a bag that fits into the overhead space. The real question to me is will basic economy purchasers get to select seats. If so, what exactly are they taking away?

Back