Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Another week, another new route added by Primera. This time they're adding non-stop flights to Boston from Madrid. 3 weekly flights. They're also adding daily flights to Newark and 4 weekly flights to Toronto.

Flights to Boston begin on August 17, 2019.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/3...s-trans-atlantic-service-from-madrid-in-3q19/

So next summer we'll have Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt, Berlin, London Stanstead and Paris Charles de Gaulle.

With the exception of Paris and London, most of these routes will need a decent amount of business travelers to be sustainable, but I wonder how appealing the value prop of Primera is for this segment. I am flying to Europe at least once a month and for example the Delta/AF Sky Priority benefit is a major reason for me to stick with a legacy carrier like Delta, despite its sometimes absurd prices for transatlantic flights.

Anyone flown Primera yet?

US airline JetBlue could radically lower the price of business-class travel across the Atlantic, says airline CEO Robin Hayes, giving the strongest signal yet that the discounter may jump into the world’s busiest aviation market.

“We look at the obscene fares that carriers are charging in that market and we think we can bring price discipline,” Hayes said in a Bloomberg Television interview.

While the company hasn’t taken a decision, “we think it’s a good opportunity, and when the time is right to take advantage, we may very well do that.”

Martin St. George, JetBlue's vice president for commercial and planning, said Wednesday that a trans-Atlantic flight would likely run between Boston and London.

“I think London is now the biggest market we don’t serve out of Boston,” St. George said at the Cowen Global Transportation Conference. JetBlue has a strong corporate presence in the U.S. city, he said, and companies have told the carrier, “Can you just look at London because this is what we’re paying, your service is fantastic.

JetBlue would look to bring its Mint premium offering to bear on the North Atlantic. Hayes said that since its U.S. rollout in 2014, the service with lie-flat beds has helped to halve the cost of transcontinental business-class flights.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/jetblue-eyes-boston-london-for-airbus-a321-mint-business-class

Getting closer

I just don't see how JetBlue can add TATL until Massport expandes Terminal E and that's still 3 years off. You have Koreanair coming. Primera (assuming their added routes materialize) that will be sending upwards of 3 planes a day to Boston. Terminal E late afternoon and early evening is already bursting at the seams. It doesn't help that customs can be understaffed at times.

Massport should just do the Terminal E expansion all at once, that way they have 4 new wide body gates and 3 narrow body gates coming online at the same time rather than 4 new wide body gates in 2021 and 3 narrow body gates in 2026.

I just don't see how JetBlue can add TATL until Massport expandes Terminal E and that's still 3 years off. You have Koreanair coming. Primera (assuming their added routes materialize) that will be sending upwards of 3 planes a day to Boston. Terminal E late afternoon and early evening is already bursting at the seams. It doesn't help that customs can be understaffed at times.

Massport should just do the Terminal E expansion all at once, that way they have 4 new wide body gates and 3 narrow body gates coming online at the same time rather than 4 new wide body gates in 2021 and 3 narrow body gates in 2026.

One advantage being a large carrier in Logan is that the plane that lands from London doesn't necessarily need to be the plane that returns to London. You can also pick and choose your departure time from Boston easily.

They could easily squeeze 2-3 daily in right now - even do a morning flight. New Virgin flight arrives at 11:00pm so CBP is staying open later now.

JetBlue xx1 Depart Boston 6:30 am Arrive STN/LGW/LHR 6:30pm
JetBlue xx2 Depart STN/LGW/LHR 8:30pm Arrive BOS 11:15pm

Jetblue xx3 Depart Boston 6:00pm Arrive STN/LGW/LHR 6:00am
Jetblue xx4 Depart STN/LGW/LHR 8:30 am Arrive BOS 11:30am

I put in longer flight times since A321neoLR will be slower than widebodies.

My guess is a 6:00am arrival into LHR is expensive though. No Boston flights arrive before 7 right now.

Punta Cana finally opening pre-clearance would give a little more wiggle room too.

Not BOS, but another relatively close airport, Portsmouth, will see new service to Orlando on Frontier: http://www.unionleader.com/business...r-59-more-competition-for-manchester-20180913.

It puts pressure on MHT (and probably even PWM) and adds a 2nd carrier (Allegiant is already there) to PSM. If you don't mind the ultra low cost model, Portsmouth is a great airport to fly from.

Ugh. I'm willing to pay the extra money to be less miserable flying though. Here's to hoping Delta or JetBlue come here some day.

I'll be curious to see which gate they will use.

EDIT: Looks like they will be arriving and departing out of Terminal E. Here is the schedule someone posted over in Airlines.net:

BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

It's a similar schedule to their JFK service, that flight leaves Honolulu at 3:15 pm and arrives at JFK at 6:30 am and also United's Honolulu - Newark service.

I'll be curious to see which gate they will use.

EDIT: Looks like they will be arriving and departing out of Terminal E. Here is the schedule someone posted over in Airlines.net:

BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

It's a similar schedule to their JFK service, that flight leaves Honolulu at 3:15 pm and arrives at JFK at 6:30 am and also United's Honolulu - Newark service.

The Globe article says they'd wanted Terminal C to be near JetBlue, but there "was no room." Only a few gates at C can accommodate an A330, and they have Aer Lingus and TAP to handle as well.

The Globe article says they'd wanted Terminal C to be near JetBlue, but there "was no room." Only a few gates at C can accommodate an A330, and they have Aer Lingus and TAP to handle as well.

With the (wonderful) new C-E post-security terminal connector, this is basically a non-issue, no?

Who would be sitting at those C gates with a wide-body between 6AM and 8AM??

Who would be sitting at those C gates with a wide-body between 6AM and 8AM??

No one. But JetBlue has every gate in C in action (regardless the equipment) multiple times between 6 and 8 AM. They also use several of the near E gates in that window. JetBlue's flight density at Logan is immense.

Non-stop flights to Hawaii! Great news. Logan has never had non-stop service to Hawaii, correct?

Who had money on Hawaii, I didnt

Fare is $617, nice touch

No one. But JetBlue has every gate in C in action (regardless the equipment) multiple times between 6 and 8 AM. They also use several of the near E gates in that window. JetBlue's flight density at Logan is immense.

Yea it is. They have all of their red-eye flights - Seattle, San Francisco, San Jose (seasonal), San Diego, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Portland (seasonal), Salt Lake City and Denver all coming in between 5 - 8 am. Plus all of the outgoing flights. It's a jammed terminal.

Terminal E by comparison is very quiet in the morning.

Not sure about how the times bank, but HNL would be a great spot for a stopover or layover to Australia and New Zealand.

Absolutely. And I've done this (Sydney to Chicago, with stopover in Honolulu) and it is fantastic. We were on a Hawaiian 767 on the Sydney to Honolulu leg, and of the ~250 people on board, only a small handful of us went through the immigration/customs line for U.S. citizens, and the rest were in the other line...so we FLEW through. (Tourism of Australian nationals to Hawaii is actually a thing). Not to mention that Honolulu is basically directly en route from Sydney, not out of the way at all distance-wise. And it nicely breaks up the flight from a duration standpoint.

So, yes, Hawaiian air is already on that route on the other end.

Long story short, your observation is correct: a GREAT stopover (and perhaps layover) spot.

Not to mention, if you do a stopover coming from Sydney, your flight basically straddles the international date line, so you end up with this weird effect of being in the same calendar day for some very large number of hours.

Who had money on Hawaii, I didnt

Well, there is this (sorry mass88!):

A non-stop flight from Boston to Hawaii would never happen. While I don't have hard numbers, I am making the assumption that the demand is not there to fill a plane even at less than daily frequency. No airline is going to throw planes on the route given that fact alone, never mind that the route would flyover several hubs, such as Detroit, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

and the Boston Business Journal was all over this 3 years ago: https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...support-for-direct-boston-hawaii-flights.html

Back