Longfellow Bridge update

That's sensible. That said, I won't be surprised to see the project move incrementally at a snail's pace. The example of the Empire State building going up in a year is used a lot, but I do think we've lost the ability to coordinate work over the past eighty years. I tend to think much of it can be tied to union rules that regulate who can be on the job site and for how long.

That's sensible. That said, I won't be surprised to see the project move incrementally at a snail's pace. The example of the Empire State building going up in a year is used a lot, but I do think we've lost the ability to coordinate work over the past eighty years. I tend to think much of it can be tied to union rules that regulate who can be on the job site and for how long.

Keeping the bridge open during rebuilding slows the process down significantly.

And especially, keeping the Red Line running at all times (except for 25 designated weekend closures). They will have to twice build, then later tear out, a temporary Red Line track -- once on each side.

It's too bad it's not feasible to simply shut down the bridge completely to all traffic for say 18 months and bang out the rebuild.

Five people also died putting it up. A lot of the slowdown with construction today is due to safety. Expecting to loose a few workers every project is no longer socially acceptable.

Took the bus shuttle between Kendall and Park St today (and back). Kendall to Park St was pretty quick and easy, but the way back took forever (as the bus was stuck in traffic on Tremont St going the wrong way before circling around the Common). It seems like the buses could turn right and load on Park St instead of Tremont?

I'm wondering why they don't just reverse Charles Street (or make it temporarily two-way) between Beacon and Cambridge Streets on these weekends?

In the 1980s, when this part of the Red Line was shut for night-time construction, the shuttle buses used Storrow Drive northbound between Beacon Street and Charles station.

I never really understood the one-way circuit around Beacon Hill/Boston Common.

Oh ok, thanks. Yeah, it seems they've decided switching Charles' traffic flow is too much hassle to be worth it.

I never really understood the one-way circuit around Beacon Hill/Boston Common.

Nor have I, it becomes a real pain especially as a cyclist. North to south is OK, but the only real legal routes from south to north downtown are either up and over Beacon Hill (not fun in a heat wave), picking through a million side streets, or fighting it out on Cambridge st. I'd love to see either cycle tracks or at least a contraflow bike lane on at least Charles Street.

I get the feeling Charles Street is one way from MGH-Boston Common because Beacon Hill doesn't want drivers using it to get to Storrow Drive.

Eh, it's a 3-lane highway from Storrow Drive though. How's that better?

Nor have I, it becomes a real pain especially as a cyclist. North to south is OK, but the only real legal routes from south to north downtown are either up and over Beacon Hill (not fun in a heat wave), picking through a million side streets, or fighting it out on Cambridge st. I'd love to see either cycle tracks or at least a contraflow bike lane on at least Charles Street.

There are plans to do just that.

Back