Longfellow Bridge update

I think that it's high time that this long-neglected iconic bridge get some TLC! It is long overdue!! :eek:

How long is the project supposed to last? Three years?

This has been up for a few weeks now, it looks like they're trying out different paint colors for the ironwork. There are four new colors to compare against the current rusty green.

LcH3zfg.jpg

^ Tough to make a call in that lighting, but I like the 2 colors on either side of the blue. The dark brown is conservative and understated. The warmer orangey-tan is, well, warm.

^ Tough to make a call in that lighting, but I like the 2 colors on either side of the blue. The dark brown is conservative and understated. The warmer orangey-tan is, well, warm.

Faatony -- I would Stick with the"'rusty green" -- it makes the relatively common cast iron look like a whole lot more exotic patinated bronze

Westy

The brown/bronze is gorgeous. I hope they stick with it, though I'm fine with any except the gold.

The brown/bronze is gorgeous. I hope they stick with it, though I'm fine with any except the gold.

DownB -- I agree that for this photo --by far the best color is the Brown-Bronze

So far that one is the leader in the early counting

A glossy black would be perfect, but failing that I'll go with the Brown-Bronze.

The "salt & pepper" towers will be temporarily dismantled and removed for cleaning and then put back in their original spots on the bridge ;).

I don't think either picture gives an accurate representation of the colors. I spent a few minutes looking at them today and in order from right to left, I'd say they looked like Drab Olive, Federal Blue, Mustard Brown, and Baby Poo Green. The olive was really the least appealing--looked like an oil slick washed up onto the bridge. The blue was bo-ring. the mustard was most appealing in my opinion, and the green (despite its associations in my mind) was not that bad.

I really hope pieces of the tower don't go missing. There aren't any current or former DCR people with access to the storage yard, are there?

Saw it going across on the red line today. Either the towers were in really bad shape, or they really wrecked up the lower stones taking it apart. It looks like they went at the base with a jackhammer.

Back