Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

The Bullfinch Triangle is all disputed land. If you're in the West End, North End, or neighborhood unto-itself is up to the person you ask. The BRA says the West End goes all the way to North Washington Street though, so I guess that makes it "official."

Yeah, that's sort of what I thought. It's just strange, from a functional standpoint, to think of that spot as the West End.

Bullfinch is basically a neighborhood of its own at this point, especially considering the dubious nature of the West End as a residential neighborhood anymore.

I agree. I think that as many of the gaps and surface lots get filled in with mixed-use development and the triangle becomes a little more lively, most people will think of it the same way. The Triangle is essentially walled off by the State Services Building/Lindeman MHC, The Courthouse, The O'Neil, The Garden, The Greenway, and the Government Center Garage. I know walls are poor urban form, but having a neighborhood with the scale of the Bullfinch Triangle surrounded by such monstrosities (and a park that acts as a buffer) really gives the neighborhood it's own unique feel.

The Triangle is essentially walled off by the State Services Building/Lindeman MHC, The Courthouse, The O'Neil, The Garden, The Greenway, and the Government Center Garage.

Add in what might be the ultimate offenders: North Washington and Merrimac Streets.

Add in what might be the ultimate offenders: North Washington and Merrimac Streets.

eventually the city will get around to fixing congress/merrimac and n wash. we're still waiting on causeway improvements which have been talked about for years, but sooner or later, they will get there...

picture in 20 yrs: no more haymarked garage, improved causeway, merrimac and n wash, a new n wash bridge, and a building over the ramps in front of haymarket... not to mention this lovejoy wharf development, new n station buildings all around and maybe even those long-promised bridges under the zakim connecting paul revere park to lovejoy to the nashua st park. we're getting there!

They opened the fence on the harborwalk through the site (though maybe accidentally). Super nice, albeit a little sterile at the moment.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone pic, but on my ride by today it appears they're hard at work putting in pilings of some type. Also, note the crane about to drop the rebar form for some type of concrete column.

Converse.jpg

It will likely be West End for residential parking permit purposes... so there's that.

I don't believe there are plans for any additional resident permit parking anyway though since everything built since the "renewal" has parking included or optional. The few areas of RPP that exist now are meters during the day so they only cater to resident car commuters, not people who want to have a car available when they need it. I like that about the neighborhood.

It would be great IMO in portal park could be developed. Would this be technically feasible with the highway below?

It would be great IMO in portal park could be developed. Would this be technically feasible with the highway below?

I like portal the way it is.

Anyone know if merano is still happening ?

^ That's what I like to see! Drill baby, drill!

I believe Converse has moved. A friend who works for them posted a picture in Lawrence the other day saying "Last day of commuting!!"

This used to be the most prominent ugliest building in Boston... Looks really good now.

Back