Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

In this 1949 Warren Bridge photo (found on this page), it looks like the lower building on the right used to be longer? Perhaps it was truncated during construction of the dam that replaced the bridge?

(click image to embiggen, though resolution is pretty low)

It was chopped for the Central Artery, AFAIK:

002752.jpg

Wikipedia says that the Warren Bridge remained open until 1962, which is well after the Central Artery opened. It could be wrong. The road to the Warren Bridge (Beverly Street) runs right next to this building.

pCBg0.jpg

You can sort of see the two buildings in this pic. The one being razed starts at the step down on the roofline. It has the balconies(?)

It's clearly the lesser of the two buildings, but still a nice building in it's own right.
I think there are three buildings. The one on the right is coming down. The one in the middle, which looks to have the balconies, either is renovated or replaced with a building with similar height and mass. The building next to N. Washington st bridge is renovated and gets penthouse floors on top.

Can someone explain why the residents of Strada 234 (specifically one resident if I remember correctly) was able to tie up the development of Lovejoy for years but now, with the new developer, everything is strangely quiet! The new development is adding a few floors to the old section which was one of the reasons (loss of views) why the lawsuit was brought in the first place!

Maybe they lost the lawsuit or were persuaded it was a loser and withdrew it?

Can someone explain why the residents of Strada 234 (specifically one resident if I remember correctly) was able to tie up the development of Lovejoy for years but now, with the new developer, everything is strangely quiet! The new development is adding a few floors to the old section which was one of the reasons (loss of views) why the lawsuit was brought in the first place!

IIRC, there was a financial settlement (i.e.,the owners in Strada were paid off to drop the suit).

Thanks, AmericanFL!

One can only hope that the attorney's ate up most of that settlement! Suing for a lost view in the city and collecting, just ain't right! The residents didn't do their due dilligence when they bought at Strada 234 and now they're rewarded!

Real glad that this project has the green light!! It's gonna be a winner, I think!

Based on the demolition photo, I'll correct my observation, and say that the middle building is coming down as well.

8599563458_20b45f4720_c.jpg

That's what? 5 rows of brick thick? Jesus. And what are those square pipe things? Chimneys?

^^ My guess would be ventilation/heating ducts.

I gotta say, part of me hates seeing stuff like that get torn down. Wish there was a way to repurpose it...

I mean, walls that thick must be pretty damn solid.

I gotta say, part of me hates seeing stuff like that get torn down. Wish there was a way to repurpose it...

Yeah. "Just" the lower portion on this image is being demolished, but if you can't see the beauty that brickwork, I don't know what to say....

8598494305_0db4e772d3_c.jpg

Are you guys joking? Its the bucket of a bobcat.

LOL, I'm pretty sure Statler is talking about these...

859956345820b45f4720c.png

...in which case yes those are old ventilation shafts.

I was talking about building demolitions with someone the other day, and thought, they don't really implode buildings anymore. I know the technology for tear downs is pretty strong, but I thought a building like this >10 stories, would be beyond what you can do with on the ground machines.

Anyone else able to shine a little more light on the demo processes?

Back