Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

I am extremely upset with the demo of this building. Up close these buildings aren't perfect, but they are much better than the stock that is in the immediate area.

A fairly unremarkable building is being torn down and replaced with a shit building that will bankroll the preservation of the beautiful building adjacent to it.
Not ideal, but a net win.

^ this statement is a perfect explanation for this entire project.

The other day, while Biden's motorcade was holding up I-93, I was watching them put in the first pilings and beams for the new wharf at Lovejoy Wharf. Great to see this moving at a good clip. The barge the crane is on is HUGE.

897980_10151466095212669_87256100_o.jpg

A fairly unremarkable building is being torn down and replaced with a shit building that will bankroll the preservation of the beautiful building adjacent to it.
Not ideal, but a net win.

Yup. The floor plates do not work in the part being torn down. Ceilings are too low and the column spacing is below par. That's why nothing except dead storage and paintball have been in there since the Carter administration.

IMG_0406 by geep9, on Flickr

IMG_0401 by geep9, on Flickr

The parking garage for the Strada must be in back. That backhoe (in use) seemed uncomfortably close for the cars going back there.

This was actually my preferred of the two buildings here. This demo is shameful.

This stretch bared a resemblance to Gothic Edinburgh. At least we still have there to visit.

Last edited:

This was actually my preferred of the two buildings here. This demo is shameful.

The complete disregard and neglect of these buildings for the past however many years is what's truly shameful. At least one of the sections will be restored. I definitely hate to see things go, but this certainly is as tragic as losing, say, the Dainty Dot building.

wow, so that building really was all columns. It looks like virtually every 8 feet in any direction there is one.

More like 12'-14'.

That's the problem and challenge with reusing these older buildings. The structural grids are so ridiculously tight that modern uses really aren't suitable without major structural redesigns (ie increasing some columns' capacity and eliminating some columns). Everyone cries fowl when they announce the demo of a seemingly well-crafted building like this, but it's more of a challenge to work with than it appears.

Although it is sad to see these old buildings go, they look to be in such terrible shape, in addition to the comments about column spacing, perhaps it is best they are knocked down.

I'm sure people would've still lived in it or offices could've used it with the columns as is. Not every building use is a lab or trading floor with highly specialized requirements. Lots of tenants like quirky spaces.

I'm willing to accept the trade-off of sacrificing half of this building to save the other half.

^^^That is has been my exact thought all along. And they're saving the best half.

Back