Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

Really excited to see this thing making progress. When is it slated to be finished?

The site, from yesterday. Still no big changes as far as I can see.

I think they plan on finishing the new pier first, so they can position equipment/materials on it.

These are not new images but I did not already see them in the thread. Images give a better sense for what the pier/dock will be like. I love the pedestrian connection staircase to the bridge.

fXMeGRW.png

VPAk48c.png

xGyYo8Q.jpg

Performance space? That sounds like fun!

Does anyone know the reason for a trench being dug just west of here, between the TD Garden and Portal Park? Is it a water main? A sewer pipe? A new pedestrian tunnel?

^I am pretty sure it is a new steam pipe from the co-gen plant in Kendall. It heats a lot of the buildings downtown, and there is currently a pipe going across the Longfellow. I don't know if the longfellow work would have interrupted its flow, but there is also increased demand for this heating as the state pushes energy efficiency.

I really like the new boardwalk though they'll have to clean up quite a bit there. The water is pretty nasty looking there for the past forever. It's really unfortunate that the Charlestown bridge kind of cuts this area off.

I like how the last drawing looks like a well paid two year old.

They should hire data to do their renderings.

That is some serious freehand drawing. The other pics look good though.

All of the renderings of this project have been kind of weird...not really the best quality to be honest.

However I like the way they're planning the outdoor space. I just hope they're going to use good materials throughout the project.

That boardwalk area and connection to the bridge look really nice. Are there any plans for replacing the Charlestown Bridge at some point? I assume it's still structurally sound, but it shows its age. It was apparently built in 1900 and last rehabilitated in 1956.

And I like how the new building's footprint makes it look like it has multiple personality disorder.

How would board members (you people) rank this development compared to others in the city? Do you think the location is "prime"? Do you think the owner can charge prices at the top of the market, middle of the market, or below market? I don't remember if there is parking onsite or what type of amenities are included, so perhaps not able to make a fair comparison, but how does this rank compared to Kensington, other projects at North Station, One Back Bay, and Cambridge apartment buildings such as Watermark?

I can speak only about location. I think it's one of the top sites in the city: not on a major road, easy walking distance to Charlestown, North End, Beacon Hill, Downtown. Waterfront (closeby) and Zakim views, Harborwalk, nearby parks. Downside: kind of stuck on the "business end" of the river and area still in transition, backside views will be blocked by another building, albeit and interesting one architecturally, parking(?). Hopefully future amenities will pop up locally like gym and supermarket. The Bulfinch Triangle and future Causeway St. developments should attract lots of new businesses.

I think it looks fine. This rendering was clearly generated by hand through a stream of thought and spatial sketching. It's not necessarily representational of the actual finished product, but very strongly represents a concept.

They should hire data to do their renderings.
*blush*

That is some serious freehand drawing. The other pics look good though.

All of the renderings of this project have been kind of weird...not really the best quality to be honest.

However I like the way they're planning the outdoor space. I just hope they're going to use good materials throughout the project.
I agree. I love me a hand-drawn/rendered plan and rendering. I think what is more concerning is TAT using Times New Roman on presentation drawings... =/

Really what they teach you in architecture school is that drawing is a tool to be used to effectively communicate an idea. If you look, the perspective is all correct, which is not something the average kid (or most adults) can do. Unless you take extra classes on watercolor/pencil rendering that's pretty representative of how most in the field draw (granted the crayons may be a bit much...)

Would you prefer comic sans?

Arial, or Stylus BT

Basically anything sans-serif. Serif is for body text, its too busy for bullet points.

Across the expressway from this site, actually next to the entrance to TD Garden/North Station there is a lot of earthwork going on. Is this related or something else?

Back