Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

9485666149_c71d6555a5_b.jpg

What a great addition to the neighborhood and to the Harbor Walk this is gonna be.

Every time I look at these pics I just hate the floors they added to the sunshine building behind it so much I don't even look at lovejoy.

Every time I look at these pics I just hate the floors they added to the sunshine building behind it so much I don't even look at lovejoy.

The good news is, from the angle of most of these pics, Lovejoy is going to block out the majority of the building. Although personally, I like that one too.

The good news is, from the angle of most of these pics, Lovejoy is going to block out the majority of the building. Although personally, I like that one too.

Im more afraid lovejoy is going to come out just as badly. Sunshine is a textbook example of how NOT to put an addition on an historic building. If it was all that green metal I think it would be fine, but the way they used new brick, and had it reach tendrils up into it the new brick just aweful, and completly detracts the really nice brickwork of the historic part.

/rant

That cop is gonna arrest the shit out of that hose.

??

Edit: apparently this is a weird response to kz's first pic from 8/15...

Condo building without parking spaces proposed for Lovejoy Wharf project: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...near-garden/0buL4C7AXU4YdhOodbRBSJ/story.html

A luxury condominium building next to TD Garden in Boston would not include any parking spaces, setting up the first test of whether a city notorious for traffic-clogged streets is ready to embrace housing developments that discourage automobile use.
---
The proposed project, from Related Beal LLC, would have 175 units. Residents would rely on public transportation or park in an existing garage nearby. The condo plan is part of a bigger project by Beal that would include a new corporate headquarters for Converse Inc.
---
Initially, Related Beal had planned to build apartments on the site, which is off Causeway Street next to TD Garden and the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge. But in documents released Wednesday, Related Beal asked the BRA to approve multiple changes — switching its planned apartments to condominiums and eliminating a 315-space parking garage that had been approved under a prior development scheme.

Sounds like the developer is trying to spin a huge cost-cutting maneuver for them as an innovative decision.

Correct me if I'm off base here: While it's great that someone is proposing a carless housing development (next to North Station, duh), what is the tipping point for condos? It seems like every last developer proposes apartments and then suddenly switches to luxury condos after the approval. Lots of condos are fine, but it's disappointing to me that we don't see more apartments getting built. You know, for the rest of us...

Last edited:

Luxury condos without parking is a horrible idea.

... it's disappointing to me that we don't see more apartments getting built. You know, for the rest of us...

Nothing stops the condo owners from rent them out. It is really just a difference in ownership - someone owns the whole building and rents it out or someone owns a single unit and rents it out.

One practical difference is that condos tend to be finished in higher quality materials that would attract higher price (and thus rent). It certainly doesn't have to be that way, but as long as there are customers in the higher price range, why would anyone settle for leaving money on table?

Luxury condos without parking is a horrible idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there are a hell of a lot of luxury condos without attached garages in New York. It is not a bad idea there and is not a bad idea here.

Nothing stops the condo owners from rent them out.

Actually, yes, a lot stops condo owners from renting units out. The condo association might have specific rules against that. Several mortgages specifically prohibit you from renting out your condo. Also, many banks simply won't give mortgages to buy units in buildings where too great a percentage of the units are rented out.

Back