Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Re: Lovejoy Wharf

That's easily the most realistic-looking precast brick I've ever seen. (Unless it is real? I'll have to look for myself in a few days.)

But the request to remove parking wasn't to meet buyers' expectations, right? It was to lower the cost of construction. Or, is that too obvious to mention?

From the Boston Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/09/lovejoy-condos-no-parking.html

Related Beal’s proposal to erase parking from its 175-unit condominium project near Boston’s North Station may have more to do with the bottom line than being a “responsible developer.”

The cost of a mechanical parking garage runs from $25,000 to $50,000 per space, according to the Urban Land Institute. For Lovejoy’s 315 spaces, that means a cost anywhere between $8 million and $16 million to build the high-tech parking garage.

If that's the new design then I can't wait till Menino leaves office.

But the request to remove parking wasn't to meet buyers' expectations, right? It was to lower the cost of construction. Or, is that too obvious to mention?

I'm picking up an undertone, but I'm not sure what you are getting at.

It is obvious that this move lowers the cost of construction. Which lowers the cost of the units (I know they were apartments before and condos now, but hang with me here). Which increases the customer base and makes it more likely to fill up faster. It is clearly a bottom-line business decision, not some environmental statement. But its not some nefarious scheme to screw buyers either.

Do you mean they simply can't afford to build the original plan, even if the units w/ parking would fetch a higher price? So they need to cut construction costs somewhere?

I don't get it. I thought this building was approved already...

Was eliminating the parking a project change that needs approval from the BRA?

^ It's either teak or that redwood colored Trex

10215153603_4dae693e85_b.jpg

10215149853_9834fc6215_b.jpg

Given the prominent new Boston HQs of two of the city's footwear giants - New Balance and Converse - it's really too bad Reebok doesn't move its own HQ into the city.

It would be particularly cool if Reebok were to set up a highly visible HQ in the Seaport / Fort Point Channel area. If that were to happen, the major entryways into the city - from the West in Brighton, from the North at Lovejoy Wharf, and in the Seaport/FPC - would all be anchored by a prominent global footwear giant's headquarters.

Unfortunately, Reebok's acquisition by Adidas may make this less likely :(

(And something tells me the likes of Timberland, Rockport, Saucony, Stride Rite, Sperry, and Bostonian, itself owned by Clark's of the UK, are less likely to go big on a Boston HQ.)

Reebok has an awesome campus down in Canton too. They're not moving anytime soon.

Don't forget we already have PUMA's NA HQ here in the congress st. garage.

I'm not sure of their entire function, so this could come off as a dumb question, but is there any plan to change the locks that stretch across the river here? Lovejoy is building this big walkway/deck, Northpoint is livening up the scene across the way, and the locks sit in the middle-- big ugly slabs that are only accessible to pedestrians if they go single file. Is there any plan to change them?

Back