Lyra (née The Huntington) | 252/258/264 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

1000008899.jpg

This is going to be an important tower once it gets going because most other towers will wrap up before then and the next round hasnt started yet. When this is rising out of the ground it may be the only high rise u/c outside of Kendall, unless I’m forgetting something which I probably am.

This is going to be an important tower once it gets going because most other towers will wrap up before then and the next round hasnt started yet. When this is rising out of the ground it may be the only high rise u/c outside of Kendall, unless I’m forgetting something which I probably am.

Off the top of my head, Somerville, Everett, and Fenway all have high rises that should be vertical in 2024.

Dumb question, but what do those big tanks hold? Something to do with foundation work, obviously, but what? Water to keep the groundwater level stable?

Almost certainly slurry wall rigs for the basement levels and foundational support, but the firm does have other capabilities as well.

If you’re not familiar with how these things are built, take a look. Cool engineering.

Edit: previous video was terrible

Last edited:
I see the somerville, everett, fenway buildings more as mid rises than high rises.

The Kenmore lab over the highway will be a high rise somewhere in the vicinity of 350'. The taller MGH building is apparently going to just eclipse 300'. Kendall has the 454' but also will have some others exceeding 300' over the next few years.

Back Bay Garage might have something gross on the way. Motor Mart? What about Congress Street Garage's 2nd residential building? South Station's secondary residential building? There could be a few things going, and at least one more near 300' in Somerville. Overall I think Kendall will be leading the way for the rest of this decade.

I'm pretty sure South Station Tower will still be under construction.

For me there's 3 main phases of construction, with the middle phase probably the one Stick is referring to.
1. Prep/foundations, typically about 18 months just to dig and fill the hole back to ground level. Sometimes this drags on closer to 2 years.
2. Vertical stage!!! South Station Tower should be long topped off by the time Lyra gets out of the ground. This is the most exciting stage because the building literally makes a bigger visual impact by the day.
3. Cladding, "stitching" up, often opening before final visual touches are applied.

Right now we only have 2 building over 200' in Phase 2, and both of those haven't moved vertically for about a month (South Station Tower and Landmark Center Building in Fenway). In a way it's the worst I can remember, as there's never been 0 "Phase 2" visual growth in the city since the covid shutdowns, and otherwise not for at least the last dozen years. I guess technically SST in particular is progressing, but it's been an excruciating wait to exceed the office core which has been T/O for 6+ months already.

Back