Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

CTAw1j7.jpg

Woof! The Sheraton, Hilton and 30 Dalton are a commieblock horror show from this angle.

It's astounding that Samuels took the hardest of these parcels and is developing a great project full steam ahead while the Viola is on hold/redesign and parcel 15 fell through.

Isn't Samuels kind of cheating, though? My understanding is that the deck is only for a plaza/park and doesn't have to support the weight of the buildings, which are on terra firma. The deck for the Viola has to support the whole building. And there's also a subway station to take into account.

Isn't Samuels kind of cheating, though? My understanding is that the deck is only for a plaza/park and doesn't have to support the weight of the buildings, which are on terra firma. The deck for the Viola has to support the whole building. And there's also a subway station to take into account.

Half of the right tower is built over the tracks/highway.
Rendering1-300x169.jpg

Parcel 15 at least would have had the tower built completely on solid ground.

By
It's astounding that Samuels took the hardest of these parcels and is developing a great project full steam ahead while the Viola is on hold/redesign and parcel 15 fell through.
Samuels has shown himself to be extraordinary adept in not only his acquisition of strategic Boylston St properties, but in the timely nature of a finished product. As to Viola: they have zero experience regarding what is a fairly technical build, and does ANYBODY want a biolab in the the Back Bay? NIMBY that idea and I don't even live there. It's across the street from Berkeley for "hecks" sakes. Parcel 15: If logic prevails, the right to develope this parcel should include the the sale of the Haynes Convention Center, and I think of it as a more 2030 idea, after Back Bay Station.

But Samuels, you have to give credit where credit is due: the man has played the Boston real estate game better than most in recent memory. I cannot remember a time in the last 10 years there wasn't a crane in the sky with his name on the check.

As to Viola: they have zero experience regarding what is a fairly technical build, and does ANYBODY want a biolab in the the Back Bay? NIMBY that idea and I don't even live there.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of more lab space in Back Bay, but if that's what it takes to cover up Parcel 13 then I'm in favor of it.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of more lab space in Back Bay, but if that's what it takes to cover up Parcel 13 then I'm in favor of it.
That corner, to me, is worth getting right. Boylston needs to connect to Mass Ave better than public housing and a biolab.

Sameuls has more non-air rights land to work with for construction, one of the big issues with the Viola project is working around the substation for Hynes station, along with the egress and fire requirements for the station and how much of their parcel is highway. It leaves them with a very small amount of terra firma land to build on. P12 was able to have both cores on solid ground and all the main foundations on solid ground, with their only real air rights construction being some of the frame above the commuter rail, which is easier to span than the highway anyway.

Parcel 15 has the same advantage where the tower was going to be built on solid ground. Hopefully somebody can get that project going again soon and then well only have parcel 13 to worry about.

Parcel 15 has the same advantage where the tower was going to be built on solid ground. Hopefully somebody can get that project going again soon and then well only have parcel 13 to worry about.
Yeah the lack of building on parcel 15 definitely is a blight walking down Boylston and encourages all sorts of noxious traffic patterns too.

Building on 13 would be great if only to reopen the Boylston entrance to Hynes and to expand the sidewalk on the east side of Mass Ave, but completely understood how it's surprisingly difficult to work with. Is it any worse than Fenway Center (parcel 7), though, which has two buildings on the highway?

Was/is Parcel 14 always considered part of the Parcel 15 development?

I'm pretty sure that's a no. I'm not sure Parcel 14 can ever be anything more than what it is.. I can't remember if Berkley's plans for corner building on the corner of Boylston/Mass Ave had Parcel 14 factored into it.

I'm pretty sure that's a no. I'm not sure Parcel 14 can ever be anything more than what it is.. I can't remember if Berkley's plans for corner building on the corner of Boylston/Mass Ave had Parcel 14 factored into it.
Either way, I've long wished they'd close down that short section of Cambria and replace it (along with 14) with something else... a park, a plaza for Berklee musicians, or even extend parcel 14 to the abut the Performance Center. As a cyclist/pedestrian, traveling eastbound on Boylston here has often been a point of conflict with high-speed drivers who treat this as an "offramp," and it's redundant, because there is a right turn onto St. Cecilia just ahead.

(sorry for engaging in the tangent, this just brought my age-old gripe to mind)

cambria.jpg

Either way, I've long wished they'd close down that short section of Cambria and replace it (along with 14) with something else... a park, a plaza for Berklee musicians, or even extend parcel 14 to the abut the Performance Center. As a cyclist/pedestrian, traveling eastbound on Boylston here has often been a point of conflict with high-speed drivers who treat this as an "offramp," and it's redundant, because there is a right turn onto St. Cecilia just ahead.

(sorry for engaging in the tangent, this just brought my age-old gripe to mind)

View attachment 23552
Maybe the City should just sell it. Allow it to be built on for more housing.

Back