Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

The steel is just galloping upwards, good for them!

A query, did they jump the main crane (Boylston) back down a section? I hadn’t been by for a couple weeks due to July 4 vacation travel back to Ireland. It looks lower than I thought it did in early June. Anyone know? Curious if that’s a logistical choice, financial savings on renting sections (from Marr, presumably?), or if I’m just wrong thinking it the crane was taller when they topped out the concrete shaft-way.

Words like "transformational" are thrown around a ton, but this project is going to change everything around here. Incredable it is getting built and I am interested in what the vibe of the area is going to change to after it is open and settles in. Will it make this windswept corner of the city feel more vibrant? Will it fill up with people that actually use the surrounding area or will it be insular? Will it be just a pretty background or will the city flow into and out of it?

*edited cuz I suck at typing*

The steel is just galloping upwards, good for them!

A query, did they jump the main crane (Boylston) back down a section? I hadn’t been by for a couple weeks due to July 4 vacation travel back to Ireland. It looks lower than I thought it did in early June. Anyone know? Curious if that’s a logistical choice, financial savings on renting sections (from Marr, presumably?), or if I’m just wrong thinking it the crane was taller when they topped out the concrete shaft-way.

The photos don't lie. Click back a few pages :)

(It's been shorter than the core for a long time now)

Words like "transformational" are thrown around a ton, but this project is going to change everything around here. Incredable it is getting built and I am interested in what the vibe of the area is going to change to after it is open and settles in. Will it make this windswept corner of the city feel more vibrant? Will it fill up with people that actually use the surrounding area or will it be insular? Will it be just a pretty background or will the city flow into and out of it?

*edited cuz I suck at typing*

Im interested too seeing that parcel 13 and 15 are still open holes if this will be substantial enough on its own to really change the street level activity or does it still need 1 or more gaps filled in to really make it work.

Im interested too seeing that parcel 13 and 15 are still open holes if this will be substantial enough on its own to really change the street level activity or does it still need 1 or more gaps filled in to really make it work.
For me, parcel 12 was always the biggest scar. The others along this section are strange and even somewhat interesting, whereas 12 was just a giant wasteland. I think it will make a huge difference. Hopefully it will be enough to raise the overall value of property in the area to justify the required investment in the proximate air rights parcels. But even if not, it's a huge win.

52208266719_573c0cf7e0_k.jpg

I'm obsessed with the urbanity in this photo. The way this parcel knits Back Bay and Fenway/Kenmore together is transformational as noted by @found5dollar, but to capture the regional players affected by this site (I'm talking to you, #1 bus riders) is exciting to contemplate as well. I love that I not only fail to see I-90 anymore, but also that it would be damn near impossible for the untrained observer to point out to you where they'd think a highway cuts through the neighborhood in this photo. I love that 160 years of architecture coexists here in a complex hodgepodge of colors, activities, and different uses at every corner.

The only thing, ironically, that doesn't fit in is that the anchor tenant will be CarGurus. Not a complaint (they've gotta work somewhere), but it's just strange to see circumstantially in such a post-car neighborhood.

Back