IMG_0851.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0857.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg

Saw this development from the Pike today. I *hate* these new buildings. And I’m almost always impressed by new developments. They look cheap. The color makes it look like twenty years of dirt has accumulated on it already. At least they added trees and landscaping.

Saw this development from the Pike today. I *hate* these new buildings. And I’m almost always impressed by new developments. They look cheap. The color makes it look like twenty years of dirt has accumulated on it already. At least they added trees and landscaping.

Most of the recently-built structures in Boston, I like, except for one. Thay ugly building that was recently built on Comm. Ave. as part of Boston University. I think that one is so frigging UGLY!!!!!! It's THIS one!!!!!! Looks like an ugly tall stacked box building that was once thought of for part of the new World Trade Center in New York!!! :sick::eek:
Boston University..jpg

Last edited:
Most of the recently-built structures in Boston, I like, except for one. Thay ugly building that was recently built on Comm. Ave. that's part of Boston University. I think that one is so frigging UGLY!!!!!! It's THIS one!!!!!! Looks like an ugly tall stacked box building that was once thought of for the new World Trade Center in New York!!! :sick::eek:View attachment 43116
The finished building looks better than the above render. That seems to happen in a lot of cases. The rendering of proposed buildings seems to have lost its flair and imagination since CAD took over.

Most of the recently-built structures in Boston, I like, except for one. Thay ugly building that was recently built on Comm. Ave. that's part of Boston University. I think that one is so frigging UGLY!!!!!! It's THIS one!!!!!! Looks like an ugly tall stacked box building that was once thought of for the new World Trade Center in New York!!! :sick::eek:View attachment 43116
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. That said, this opinion is incorrect.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. That said, this opinion is incorrect.

This isn't like a surgeon weighing whether to operate, it's an opinion on aesthetics; not correct or incorrect, just a reflection of taste. My opinion is that this building was an ugly render that became an ugly build, and this belief doesn't impede or invalidate your enjoyment of it.

I personally like the Parcel 12 buildings and design, and I think the BU Computing Center turned out better than the renderings. The LEGO headquarters and the public plaza they are building could be spectacular.

Do any of you remember the Hotel Commonwealth disaster years ago? That was really BAD! I was recently sent this article by a friend in the UK, and it reminded me of the Hotel Commonwealth issue.

Sorry to derail this excellent project thread a bit. :)

I personally like the Parcel 12 buildings and design, and I think the BU Computing Center turned out better than the renderings. The LEGO headquarters and the public plaza they are building could be spectacular.

Do any of you remember the Hotel Commonwealth disaster years ago? That was really BAD! I was recently sent this article by a friend in the UK, and it reminded me of the Hotel Commonwealth issue.

Sorry to derail this excellent project thread a bit. :)
Couldn't they just strip off the ugly cladding and replace it with something better, rather than tearing down the entire building?

Couldn't they just strip off the ugly cladding and replace it with something better, rather than tearing down the entire building?
It's not just the cladding--the massing is off and the public realm is gone. I suspect they are drawing a line in the sand so no one else tries this.

Clearly wouldn't work in the US

The moderate solution is to deck the entire pike so no one ever has to see these buildings from their cars ever again. I implore people to walk Mass Ave from Boylston to Beacon and marvel at what this project has done for the people who choose to be IN the city rather than under it.

I would never use CarGurus simply based on how ugly these buildings are and how they've ruined the view of the drive in Eastbound on the Pike. Absolute garbage.
That’ll teach em!

You’re so right - it was much better having a two block stretch of barren nothingness disconnecting the city. Let’s never change anything and keep Boston as it was circa 1970 forever - yea!

I don't mind the architecture and am 100% for developments that deck the pike. What I can't stand is the cheezball branding front-and-center. This, to me, feels like the early dot com era when cities were building gleaming new arenas named things like "Yay-I-Sold-My-House.com Arena" with 80-ft lettering across their roofs. I feel like Boston caved with the approvals for this b/c it was early pandemic and everyone was freaking out about whether the city was dying. It is not, so let's stop acting like desperate sell-outs.

Back