Lyrik Back Bay | 1001 Boylston Street (Parcel 12) | Back Bay

That’ll teach em!

You’re so right - it was much better having a two block stretch of barren nothingness disconnecting the city. Let’s never change anything and keep Boston as it was circa 1970 forever - yea!
I'm all for change. More so than many folks on this forum. But I'd rather nothing over a dated-looking POS eyesore that we're stuck with forever.

We're better off for having this, but it does flat-out ruin multiple iconic views (both 90 and Fenway) and in a city like Boston that should matter too. The proposal from the 90's, twice as high and half as wide, was the way to go.

To those of you who are 100% utilitarian-over-aesthetics, please move to any other city in the country that's out of the Northeast corridor. We have a lot of historical layering that needs to coexist here, and fat/stumpy buildings are not the way to gracefully do it. Let's have our cake and eat it too.

I would never use CarGurus simply based on how ugly these buildings are and how they've ruined the view of the drive in Eastbound on the Pike. Absolute garbage.
It's not the apex of architectural excellence, but after a while it becomes more at home in the city, like the Verizon building at N Station has.

a dated-looking POS eyesore that we're stuck with forever
We had a POS eyesore right there. It's called the Mass Pike. This building blocks it. That's a vast improvement.

I think this building looks cool, which is subjective opinion. But they could have made it so much worse, and it still would have been better then walking along Mass Ave and having to see, hear and smell the Pike. They could change the logo on top to a Yankees logo and have it shine down on Fenway, still better.

1698259787623.png

This may be the most out-there opinion but one of the things I love most about the aesthetics of this city is how non-conforming everything is. In many neighborhoods you can walk down a street and time-travel through different architectural ages. It really shows how the city has grown and changed with time whether the building is beautiful or ugly.

In this half-mile stretch of Mass Ave from Newbury to St Botolph there are classic brick and brownstone round-cornered apartments, a WWI-era railway office and warehouse, war-era brick apartments, the boxy late 2000s-early 2010s Berklee dorm building, mid-20th century concrete condos, whatever the Christian Science Center is, and now a gaudy lots-of-windows and white concrete office tower fitting of the current times. To me, this is very emblematic of the city of Boston; ever growing and changing from before the country's founding to present day.
1698364231382.png

We had a POS eyesore right there. It's called the Mass Pike. This building blocks it. That's a vast improvement.

I think this building looks cool, which is subjective opinion. But they could have made it so much worse, and it still would have been better then walking along Mass Ave and having to see, hear and smell the Pike. They could change the logo on top to a Yankees logo and have it shine down on Fenway, still better.

View attachment 43868

Down the road, another development either has covered, or is about to cover the Mass. Pike!! Forgot what it will be called. Developers are now seeking to develop spots of real estate over the Pike!! Fenway Center!!!! :unsure:

Last edited:

Back