Maine - General Photo Thread

IMG_3273.jpg

Nice find. Skyline hasn't changed much, or anything over 6 stories, that is. And wow, look at this military presence. The carrier, a frigate at Maine State Pier, and BIW dry dock. A bigger footprint on the pipeline facility too.

The air looks more polluted but it might be the quality of the picture.

I'm guessing it's the quality of the camera in 1987 and it was probably taken from the side opening of a Navy SH-3 helicopter.

Last edited:
More of a historical photo but impressive none the less. USS John F Kennedy's visit to Portland in September 1987.
Beautiful photo! Is First Baptist still standing in this one? The brick tower to the right of City Hall, partially obscuring the law school?

Good eye markhb, it's still standing but was demolished shortly after this photo due to the compromised structural integrity of the structure. Somma's sub shop next door was also razed around the same time to add even more parking to the Top of the Old Port lot.

Last edited:
255968_170856046312163_8169252_o.jpg

Early1982 photo showing the First Baptist Church and Somma's sub shop. Two Monument Square just completed, One City Center and One Hundred Middle Street still in the planning phase, Portland Museum of Art under construction and One Portland Square still five years away.

View attachment 4821
Early1982 photo showing the First Baptist Church and Somma's sub shop. Two Monument Square just completed, One City Center and One Hundred Middle Street still in the planning phase, Portland Museum of Art under construction and One Portland Square still five years away.
Great photo of a phase of the city that Historic Aerials doesn't have (they skip from 1970 to 1990 IIRC). Also visible: the W.L. Blake pipe yard on Franklin St., the old jail next to the county courthouse, the Grand Trunk yard actively working, Wilmot St. between Cumberland and Congress, and a hint of the old Casco Bank concrete "bunker" on Commercial.

My apologies to DZH22 who originated this post. He may have wanted more scenic shots of the entire state of Maine and it's turning out to be more of an urban theme even though I did include my own shots of Portland Headlight and some harbor views earlier.

Last edited:
My apologies DZH22 who originated this post. He may have wanted more scenic shots of the entire state of Maine and it's turning out to be more of an urban theme even though I did include my own shots of Portland Headlight and some harbor views earlier.

Nah it's cool, you can post whatever you want. :cool:

Another one from Mt Battie.

IMG_6808 by David Z, on Flickr

Maine Imaging took that. He has another from the same shoot with Mt. Washington in the background, downtown in the midground, and Portland Head Light in the foreground. You will also find some new photos for sale on their site of Portland's East End waterfront that are quite impressive. He (Dave) shoots at a high pixel rate, so the pics of downtown with Mt. Washington could be wall sized. It would be a stunning shot to use for the baggage claim area of the Jetport. Currently, there isn't much there to grab attention, and the life size Moose taxidermy is such a Maine cliche (and disturbing for some).

Last edited:

Back