Maine Public Broadcasting Bldg. | 25 Commercial St. | Portland

Sad news....This project is officially dead. Maine Public is going to be moving into the former public market building on Prebble / Cumberland.

Apparently Maine Public had some fundraising issues and the board wasn't fully supportive of the huge upfront cost for constructing a new HQ and wanted funds directed elsewhere.
Looks like they've updated their presentation video to reflect this - https://www.mainepublic.org/a-new-home-for-maine-public-the-need

Last edited:
On the one hand I'm disappointed that the 25 Commercial St building isn't happening, on the other hand I don't hate this reuse of the Public Market building, on the third hand I still like the Public Market as a Public Market best and any other use of that space will be a little disappointing.

While it isn't the most inspiring stretch of street right now, remember the Bayside MDP calls for modifying some of the ground floor of the parking garage into retail and/or incubator space.

The original public market building did not work because it was kind of hidden behind the Fidelity Trust building, adjoining a part of town we would all avoid (and still do). It was also a different decade (1998), one in which for the residents of the city it was more about the Old Port or Commercial Street for experiencing food and drink. It was somewhat of an architectural masterpiece, ideally designed as a public food and gathering space with high ceilings featuring beautiful wood beams bathed in natural light. And the centered majestic granite fireplace rising up into that light created a feeling for an almighty food worship. If Jesus were around, maybe he would have a roll here. From the outside at night, the inside of the market as seen through its full skin of windows drew one in with its warm and inviting glow.

Today, for its planned conversion from a layout designed for Cash Star, a marketing firm of which added a second level floor dotted with cubicles, a media center and production space idea will need opened up spaces and substantial new wiring configurations. A large warehouse space would have been the better choice for this kind of use. I think they were focused on wanting something relatively new and grand and centrally located (and the connected garage with a skywalk was a plus for the winter months). Building at least two big production sets/stages with easy access for changing configurations requires a substantial dock and access. The limited in/out access for larger trucks and the narrow "L" shape of the building is not conducive to a production space. Additionally, hanging anything from above (heavy lights, etc.) will require new framework and so the beautiful wood beams bathed in sunlight will need to be an after-thought. But it will be a fun place for them to sit and do their webcasts.
C+

Last edited:
We could probably have an entire thread talking about the original Public Market and what went wrong. I think part of it was that it was priced and marketed for the folks working downtown and commuting in from Deering and the suburbs, but they didn't make the trek down the hill to buy groceries for dinner before heading home.
But I still remember the first time I entered via the bridge from the parking garage, and how explosive the color was on the A.J. Kennedy produce stand.

Can't MPB expand the WCBB studio building in Lewiston? It's not like they're producing a nightly newscast that needs to be proximate to downtown. Or, how much might it cost to buy the former Channel 8 studio in Auburn, which wasn't that old when they bought Channel 51 and moved to their place in Westbrook.

Back