Malden Center and untapped potential

What do you mean South of rt 60? I lived south of rt 60 near Bell Rock. Nothing ever bad I have heard happened. I think you are thinking of the projects near Lincoln park.

Well are there drive-bys? No. Did I know a lot of dysfunctional people that lived in that part of Malden? Yep. By dysfunctional I mean did drugs, sold drugs, commited the occasional crime and if you didn't personally know them they'd have no problem stealing some of your stuff. Pluss that part of town looks grittier. And I can't see the average american Walf-Disney-World-approved family saying this would be the best place to raise our kids. I like Malden and Everett for what they are but I can also safely say most people I know from Malden laughed when they heard this claim.

The section of Malden I walked through on Sunday looked like this. Not the least bit gritty.

Yep thats the nice part. That neighborhood is almost disassociated with the majority of the city. Kind of like the reverse of Milton and E. Milton. I lived , delivered pizza, and know many people from there. Maplewood sq. recently had anti-gang police busy over there, I almost got help up twice and delivered to many "shaddy people". Throw in the fact that OC's are most certainly present there (else where as well). All and all it's not horrible, but this claim is funny to me and most people who really know Malden. By the way it's awsomely diverse (which I do thing is cool) high school has a daycare. I think that is actually a good thing, but it would make a fair amount of parents think twice. Plus about a year ago at the pizza shop I was informed that the police did a drug sting in there. And finally, The Honey Fitz on Pleasent st., go there, thats Malden.

Because there are no ?outskirts? to the cities and towns in the area, they often tend to reflect each other at their borders. The section of Malden that you've shown Ron is near the Melrose line and in my opinion it reflects that proximity more than the entirety of Malden.

The problem that I have with these ?Best Places To? lists, is that they often evaluate cities and towns as wholes rather than discussing neighborhoods. Furthermore (similar to the walk-able cities/towns website we?ve discussed) they tend to rely on statistics too heavily and do not examine the details. For example, Statler wrote:

?Malden is a completely different animal than Melrose. Malden has two Orange Line stops, one commuter rail stop and a lot of Bus routes.?

It is true that Malden has two Orange line stops within their borders and Melrose has none, but from a practical standpoint Oak Grove serves Melrose as much as Malden as it sits directly on the line. Melrose also has at least three Commuter rail stops, and they?re not just park and ride stations?they serve the local residents. Melrose like most any city/town around also has bus routes.

Just because something like a T station is located on the property of one town verses the next, does not mean that the city/town in which it is located is better served by it than its neighbors. Wellington station is located in Medford, but with the exception of the recent development, I wouldn?t say that the majority of Medford residents benefit from the station any more than the majority of Malden or Everett residents do. It?s not like Davis Sq. where there?s a clear advantage to being a Somerville resident. Also consider that these lists would not give Medford credit for having access to Malden Center, while it serves many Medford residents better and for some at least as well as Wellington.

Throw in the fact that OC's are most certainly present there

I don't understand -- people from Orange County CA live in some part of Malden? Where?

It?s not like Davis Sq. where there?s a clear advantage to being a Somerville resident.

Not the best example, as you can walk five minutes out of Davis Square station and be in Cambridge. (The converse is true for Porter Square station.)

5 minutes? Is it that close? In this case people in Cambridge w/in a 5 minute walk from Davis benefit just like those in Somerville w/a 5 minute walk regardless of their zip.

Oh yes. I live right at the Cambridge-Somerville line and can walk to the Davis T station in 3 minutes on a good day.

I lived on Dudley St in N Cambridge for a while and would often tell people I lived in Davis Sq instead of N Cambridge (no one outside of the neighborhood knows what exactly N Cambridge is any way). Davis Sq. is only about a 5 min. walk. It's actually a perfect example of what you're talking about with regards to Malden/Melrose.

?Malden is a completely different animal than Melrose. Malden has two Orange Line stops, one commuter rail stop and a lot of Bus routes.?

It is true that Malden has two Orange line stops within their borders and Melrose has none, but from a practical standpoint Oak Grove serves Melrose as much as Malden as it sits directly on the line. Melrose also has at least three Commuter rail stops, and they?re not just park and ride stations?they serve the local residents. Melrose like most any city/town around also has bus routes.

What I was trying to get at was that Melrose is much more your typical leafy suburb with a typical New England style commercial town center. Malden is (or should be) an actual city with a more mixed-used downtown, with some outlying leafy 'burb type neighborhoods. The problem Malden (and sadly a lot of similar type cities) faces is that are actively trying to emulate places like Melrose by becoming more suburban when they should be trying to become more urban and emulate places like Somerville and Cambridge.

Ironic that Melrose and Malden are trying to move in opposite directions.

Ron OC means Oxycoton, which has been the worst drug to enter the scene since crack. It's been a bad drug in a lot of areas, but places like Malden and Everett have been extra hard by that one.

I'm not sure that Melrose is really on a big push to urbanize.

Aside from admittedly impressive Oak Grove Village what else have they done?

The Malden Planning Board and Master Plan Steering Committee invite you to join fellow citizens and City officials at a Master Planning Public Forum on Thursday, April 30, 2009 from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Council Chamber, Malden Government Center , Third Floor, 200 Pleasant Street , Malden , MA .

Space is limited. Please RSVP at www.mapc.org/rsvp/Malden_RSVP.htm.

The Master Planning Public Forum is the next step in the community-based master planning activities known as the Malden Visioning Project and part of on-going efforts to implement the Malden Vision, a statement of the community?s goals and a decision-making guide for future land use planning and development. Come hear how the Malden Vision is being used as a springboard for our community?s next planning initiatives, including formalization of a comprehensive Master Plan. Forum attendees will participate in scenario planning exercises regarding housing development and key roadway corridors. Results will be considered when recommending revisions to the zoning ordinances consistent with the Malden Vision.

To learn more about the Malden Visioning Project, visit www.cityofmalden.org, go to COMMUNITY and click on Malden Visioning Project.

Please feel free to pass on this email and/or the attached Forum flyer.

Hope to see you on April 30, 2009.

Michelle A. Romero
Principal Planner
City of Malden
Government Center
200 Pleasant Street
Room 617
Malden, MA 02148
Tel (781) 397-7020
Fax (781) 397-7023

Question: Do you want to be a city or a suburb? (like asking if you are a man or a boy)

Boston Globe - December 23, 2009
A place where all belong
Immigrants transforming Malden anew

By Maria Sacchetti, Globe Staff | December 23, 2009

MALDEN - At J&R market on Salem Street, the shelves are stocked with Kenyan tea, Nigerian flour, and Mexican cactuses. The public library boasts a collection of 2,000 books in Chinese, 10 times the count a decade ago. French classes, fading elsewhere, are thriving at Malden High School as Haitian families have poured into the city.

Malden, an unassuming community of 56,000 residents just minutes north of Boston, has quietly become a major destination for immigrants, second in the state only to Chelsea in its percentage of foreign-born residents.

The foreign-born population of Malden has doubled since 1990 to 37 percent, according to US Census Bureau estimates, mirroring a trend of immigrants moving to suburbs evident in communities such as Winchester, Lexington, Melrose, Revere, and others across the nation.

?Malden is great,?? said Jean Louis, a 42-year-old taxi driver who arrived six years ago from Haiti and moved to Malden because a sister lived here. ?My children are safe. There are a lot of great schools. My wife, too, she loves Malden so much.??

Immigrants have long flocked to this city on the banks of the Malden River, from the Irish and Italians who came to work in the factories at the turn of the 20th century to Jewish immigrants who fled Europe before and after World War II.

Now, immigrants from China, Haiti, India, Pakistan, and Morocco are transforming Malden anew, choosing it for many of the same reasons: affordable housing, decent schools, low crime, access to public transportation, and proximity to jobs in Boston. Chinatown is just eight subway stops away.

?It?s a little bit of history repeating itself,?? said Mayor Richard Howard.

The recent influx is remarkable because Malden has avoided conflicts that have caused divisions in other cities and towns, according to city officials here and advocates for Chinese, Haitian, and Muslim immigrants.

St. Peter?s Parish on Pearl Street, a longtime Italian church, is now Eglise de Dieu de la Grace, a Haitian Seventh Day Adventist church. A mosque opened more than a year ago above a pharmacy downtown, attracting hundreds of mostly Moroccan immigrants for prayers each week. Malden High principal Dana Brown bans tests or homework on Chinese New Year, so that students can celebrate with their families, and recently led a school trip to China.

Though Malden is outwardly peaceful, advocates say the city should do more to promote civic engagement by newcomers, by hiring more employees of different backgrounds or bilingual liaisons who can communicate with different groups. Boston, for instance, has an Office of New Bostonians, and the state has an advisory board for immigrants and refugees.

Mohamed Brahimi, founder and interim president of the Moroccan American Civic and Cultural Association in Malden, wants the city to set up an advisory board of immigrants to recommend ways to better integrate the new arrivals.

?It would give the constituents of the city a feeling that they all belong,?? Brahimi said. ?The person will start saying, you know what? I?m part of this city and the city cares about what I?m saying, instead of saying, we know what?s best and you guys are just there. You pay the taxes and that?s it.??

Nekita Lamour, a Haitian immigrant who ran unsuccessfully for City Council this year, said she is pushing for more immigrants to get involved in civic life, such as running for public office to improve their neighborhoods. On her street, the abandoned train tracks are choked with weeds, the sidewalks are broken, and the house next door is strewn with debris.

?It?s been like this for a year,?? she said, with a shake of her head.

Howard, a Democrat, said his policy is to treat people of all backgrounds fairly. He said he has hired additional bilingual firefighters and police officers, provided grants to fund English classes at nonprofits, and makes occasional appearances on Chinese-language TV.

?Our contention would be that people are happy,?? said Howard, the grandson of Irish immigrants who has been mayor for 14 years. ?People are happy with the fact that they live in a community that is kind of safe and they?re not being unfairly picked upon or singled out because of their particular background.??

Budget cuts have prevented additional hiring, but he said he would be open to an immigrant advisory board. ?I wouldn?t hesitate a moment to have it,?? he said.

Malden?s schools have been at the forefront of the changes. Brown, the principal, said the school system is far different from the one he graduated from in 1977. In 1993, minorities accounted for 28 percent of students; now they make up 64 percent. Nearly 40 percent of students speak another language at home.

But Brown said the children of immigrants and their parents appear to be eager to seize the opportunities they are given, which is one reason Malden?s schools, though struggling, often test higher than other urban schools. He recently gave a talk at a local church to Haitian parents eager to participate in the schools.

In the high school cafeteria early one morning last week, students chatted easily in English over pancakes at breakfast. Garvin Cius, a 15-year-old sophomore whose parents are from Haiti, said his family moved from public housing in Arlington to Malden when he was in the fourth grade because they could afford to buy a home. Now he is setting his sights on college and said he wants to be an engineer.

?I feel safe here,?? he said. ?There are no worries. Everyone knows each other.??

Anielly Zeferino, a 15-year-old sophomore from Brazil, said she was overwhelmed when she first came to the United States several years ago and could not speak English, but she felt that Malden embraced her. Now she speaks English with barely a trace of an accent.

?This is my second home, basically,?? she said of Malden.

For their parents, the biggest attraction in Malden is the price of housing, then the schools. Many residents said they fled higher rents in Cambridge, Somerville, and Boston for Malden, where they have easy access to the T but fewer headaches with parking, traffic, and the cost of living.

In the Bel B?b? hair salon on Salem Street, Marthane Jeune rolled her eyes as she recalled her cramped apartment in Everett. For a little more than $300,000, she was able to buy a six-bedroom fixer-upper in Malden, where her husband and three children have space to breathe.

?I?m like a bird. Freedom!?? said Jeune, 43, throwing up her hands as she waited for customers in her salon.

San San Mew, a 39-year-old tailor from Myanmar, said that Malden fits perfectly into her hectic lifestyle. The rent is cheaper than Boston, and her children attend K-8 schools, so she does not have to shuttle from one school to the next. She works days, and her husband works nights.

?It saves the time,?? she said, running a steam iron over a pair of tweed pants in the cramped shop. ?Bus. Train. Everything is easy here.??

Maria Sacchetti can be reached at msacchetti@globe.com.

This is pretty cool. But how come Malden has been steadily shrinking over the past decade in the census estimates? That much white flight?

I've only been there 5 years and in that time I've see a few good size (but horrible looking) apartment towers go up, so I'm not sure. There was one major block razed downtown, but I think that was just commercial.
However there are lots of scars (parking lots, etc..) all over town from earlier attempts to suburbanize Malden, So I'm assuming there were a lot of townhouses and apartment buildings torn down from the 60's thru the 80's.

All and all Malden is a solid safe city, but that article is painting everything with very broad happy strokes. I used to work at a mom and pop pizza shop (by the way pizza shop owners know a lot of dirt) down the street from the highschool, both in 2005 and 2006 Malden police's narcotics unit conducted drug raids at the High School. This year two seperate shootings happend on Salem st. and a policemen fatally shot someone. In 2007 an elderly woman was murdered in a breaking and entering, and Maplewood sq had antigang units in it after a 2007 shooting. So take this "Yay everybody loves eachother in Malden" article with a pinch of salt.

Back