Malden Center and untapped potential

I want to ask something that still bothers me, why did they tore a street wall of shops for a parking lot? I recalled that when I asked someone about it, they told me that they had a plan to build something new in place of the shops and the lot was temporary.

BTW, to the first page, I don't like Condo either. Well, to be exact, condos that have no retail and taking land that was once retail. I think that reasoning is justified.

A private parking lot? I don't know specifically about this situation in Malden, but parking lots are good money-makers for developers, and I'd be surprised (though delighted!) if it were anything but a parking lot for as long as this recession lasts, even if they did claim it was "temporary".

^^It's basicaly a mini-Filene's situation.

Developer buys a large block of (admittedly crappy single-story) buildings in the heart of the city with big plans to redevelop the block. Does all the demo work and then..."Whoops! No more money!" And Malden gives birth to a new parking lot. Yay!

I'd always thought it was that 6 story building on the southwest corner of Pleasant and Main, but I can't remember where I heard that.

This may help:

I still remember downtown, crowned with Joslin's Department Store at the corner of Main and Pleasant and across from the old City Hall (it later became Jordan Marsh, now also just a memory, and today is partitioned into smaller stores and offices). Going up Pleasant was a row of long-ago retailers: Kresge's, W.T. Grant, Woolworth's, and Rexall Drug. There were four movie theaters in those days - Granada, Strand, Auditorium, and Orpheum, - and all (I believe) had started out as vaudeville theaters. And we had a Sears, a Western Auto, a First National Supermarket, and several fine restaurants.

There's a pic of Malden Square with the Jordan Marsh in the background at this site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~daddytom01/Malden.html

Is the Joslin in "Joslin's Department Store" the same as the Joslin in the Diabetes Center?

Thanks. Now that we know it's still standing, were the upper floors converted to offices or to residences?

The current street-level uses (pizza parlor, realty office, etc.) sure are a big come-down from having a big multi-story department store in your downtown.

^^If it's any consolation, the pizza place (Two Paisans') is quite good!

^^It's basicaly a mini-Filene's situation.

Developer buys a large block of (admittedly crappy single-story) buildings in the heart of the city with big plans to redevelop the block. Does all the demo work and then..."Whoops! No more money!" And Malden gives birth to a new parking lot. Yay!

So, is there any pressure to build eventually, even it if it takes a decade? Or that parking lot is now the new permanent structure?

Here's the thing I've figured out about Malden.

There are 100+ year old single family homes sitting next 100+ year old apartment buildings everywhere throughout this city, so as far as I can figure there have always been this push/pull between making the city urban and more suburban at the same time.

I think economic forces have pushed towards urbanism while political forces have done their level best to suburbanize it.

Right now the parking lot is being held in flux between the two. The people who live in auto-centric neighborhoods think a parking is best because 'downtown lacks parking" (I've had real live people say this to me). While obviously the highest and best use is a new retail building (preferably with apartments above -eek! transients who don't care about the city!)

But right now I'm guessing that the developer either doesn't have the money to rebuild or is 'land-banking' (ugh) waiting for prices to rebound.

Supposedly there are plans filed somewhere in City Hall:

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

Well the family homes isn't that suburban, houses and yards are pretty close to each other and plenty of sidewalks and etc... if the family homes of Malden are suburban, then it's fine by me.

The problem is just Malden Square, it took me a long time to put my finger on it (basically by coming here), but I can now cite the problem of Malden Square that every Maldonian notice. Even if you knock down City Hall so people coming out of Malden Station can see that there is a shopping district like how Davis Square or Harvard Square works, it's still only one street. A person coming out of the station would still see on the far-right some fenced off utility place (and bit more is the Stop and Shop with its giant parking), on the right is just some plain office building, then on left is a few shops (and a condo), and on the far-left is condos. The retail is just too spread out and separated with even the most dense area of the square itself continues to lose ground. If we can take all the little shops from the Super 88, shops near the supermarket, the other little shops doting the center and mush them together, then there might be some life again.

Edit: Oh just reading back, I still want to respond to this.

Any place that has a giant hole in the center of their city and people just shrug and say, "Well, better that than more new condos" isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of condos. To be exact, when you raze a commercial district in the center of Malden and put up a condo, that sucker is permanent. The parking lot, not so much. I much rather have that damn parking lot replacing the retail on Main St. than a condo that replaced a block of retail on Pleasant St. and a different block on Main St. near the train tracks. I'm assuming, of course, that the parking lot will eventually be redeveloped in a few years. The condo is there, forever.

edit: One more thing I want to add. I was looking around on Wicked Local trying to find out any article of that hole. They plan on using federal funds to try and beautify Pleasant St. again (well the last time was before I was born....) with a new bike lane and a mini-parking garage.

Last edited:
I don't see what's wrong with having condos, as long as the first floor is retail or restaurant.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of condos. To be exact, when you raze a commercial district in the center of Malden and put up a condo, that sucker is permanent. The parking lot, not so much. I much rather have that damn parking lot replacing the retail on Main St. than a condo that replaced a block of retail on Pleasant St. and a different block on Main St. near the train tracks. I'm assuming, of course, that the parking lot will eventually be redeveloped in a few years. The condo is there, forever.

Why not both? Retail on the ground floor and residential above?

edit: shakes fist at Ron!

If they have retail on the bottom, then I have no problem with condos in the center of Malden. It is just that, so far, they haven't done that. They razed commercial retail buildings and put a condo there. If that parking lot turns into a condo with retail on the bottom, I have not problem with that all and I hope the others who complains about condos would think the same.

^^Agreed 100%. Ground floor retail is key to any downtown development.

Not development related, but still interesting.

Boston Globe - October 17, 2010
Asian population burgeons, attracted by affordable housing and public transit

By Steven Rosenberg, Globe Staff | October 17, 2010

On a recent morning, Fugian Weilin and Ekaterina Taunova held pencils and quietly discussed an algebraic equation in their advanced placement physics class at Malden High School. Like generations of Italian, Jewish, and Irish immigrants who made Malden their destination in the last century and used the district?s school system to get ahead, Weilin and Taunova are part of the city?s fastest-growing minority: Asian immigrants.

According to the 2008 Census, Asians now represent 16.7 percent of the city?s population and 21 percent of the district?s students. With more than 9,400 residents, the population has jumped significantly since 1990, when just 5.2 percent of the city identified as Asian. While no formal demographic research has been conducted, residents such as Mei Hung, who runs the Chinese Culture Connection, say eight of 10 Asians living in the city were born in China, and the rest come from Vietnam, Cambodia, and India.

While their backgrounds and stories may be different, almost all point to inexpensive housing and Malden?s two subway stations as the main reasons why they?ve made the city their home. ?Malden is on the Orange Line and it goes to Chinatown and it?s convenient,?? said Hung.

Hung says Chinatown still serves as a hub for Asians living in Greater Boston. While some have opened businesses such as restaurants, cosmetics shops, and auto body shops in Malden, a majority of the adults still take the subway most days to Chinatown. There, they work in restaurants, shop for groceries, and can access medical care, legal help and social services without the need of a translator.

According to Hung, the first wave of Asian immigrants included mostly blue-collar workers who helped fill out the roster of employees at restaurants in Chinatown and in cities around Malden. That first generation, which came to Malden in the 1990s, has been followed by a more educated group. Many are graduate students, health professionals, and academics. Among that group is a significant senior population that moved to Malden to reunite with their children and help raise their grandchildren, said Mai Du, who arrived in the state in 1984 from Vietnam and runs a kung fu and tai chi academy in Malden.

Clayton Chou, a retired professor who taught at Cornell, moved to Malden in 2007 so he could be closer to his son. But after his son returned to Taiwan, Chou decided to stay.

?It?s a small town but it?s very concentrated and it?s so close to Boston. Whatever you need, you can find there,?? said Chou, who uses the subway to go to Chinatown and also spends a lot of time at the city?s senior center. At the senior center, Chou has met people from all parts of China. But often, he?s unable to share his story with the other immigrants. Chou speaks Mandarin and many of the other immigrants speak Cantonese. ?Sometimes when we get together we don?t communicate very well. There?s a language barrier between us,?? Chou said.

Like every other immigrant group, some Asians have had trouble adjusting, turning to gambling and substance abuse to escape the isolation and stress that comes with moving to a new country, said Richard Cheng, who worked as a social worker in Malden for over a decade. ?The stress and tension to adjust culturally and socially could take many decades,?? Cheng said. ?The first six months to a year is the most difficult.??

At Malden High, Asians now make half of the top 20 students in each graduating class. Taunova, who learned English just two years ago, plans to apply to Harvard and Stanford. She hopes to return to live in Malden after college. ?People are nice here. I have had a lot of opportunities and can do anything I want here,?? she said.

Steven Rosenberg can be reached at srosenberg@globe.com.

More development related:

Boston Globe - October 17, 2010
CITIES ON THE EDGE
A roadblock to revival
The Orange Line opened Malden to new possibilities, but many remain unrealized

By Steven Rosenberg, Globe Staff | October 17, 2010

When the Orange Line subway came to the city 35 years ago, locals acknowledged that Malden?s future would be tied to Boston?s ? a fundamental, ideological change for a city that had its own insulated economy and boasted factories such as Converse Rubber and a downtown lined with major department stores such as Jordan Marsh, Woolworth?s, and Sears.

At the time, elected officials thought the MBTA subway would allow residents an easier commute to Boston. They also hoped it would bring shoppers back to Malden Square, where a new city hall, named Government Center, had been built, cutting the main street that runs through the square and past the subway line into two separate sections, one a dead end.

But the economic boost that locals had hoped for didn?t happen. Although the downtown was just one street away from the Malden Center T stop, out-of-towners couldn?t see it when they stepped off the subway. Instead, they saw the big brick retaining walls of Government Center and kept walking.

Still, even with the confusing downtown layout, developers noticed the Orange Line?s arrival and realized that land could be bought for less money than what it would cost in Boston and Cambridge. In the early 1980s, nobody in Malden was using the phrase ?smart growth,?? the practice of creating housing and office space around a mass transit-oriented downtown. But as office buildings, garages, and several apartment buildings rose up around Malden Square by the late ?80s, local officials realized an organic shift had occurred and it all revolved around the subway.

?Smart growth has allowed the downtown to survive and for it thrive,?? said Mayor Richard Howard, who began pushing to create a formal mass transit-oriented economic plan for the downtown shortly after he was elected almost 15 years ago.

But even with the hundreds of new apart ments and the boom in square footage of office buildings added in the 1980s, the downtown seemed listless. The main thoroughfare, Pleasant Street, was anchored by a Jordan Marsh but no longer had the mom and pop stores and the movie houses that drew people out at night. Businesses came and went; even a McDonald?s opened and closed there. ?No one went there at night. No one wanted to come here,?? said Stephen Wishoski, executive director of the Malden Redevelopment Authority.

Still, the price of real estate and the draw of the subway line continued to attract developers and, more recently, entrepreneurs to the downtown during the country?s worst recession. In 2006, Pleasant Street Apartments, a 202-unit, 11-story, luxury residential tower, was built next to Government Center. In 2007, Douglas Tran invested $1.3 million in an old storefront to open All Seasons Table, an Asian fusion restaurant. In 2009, a private developer spent $45 million on an office building that now houses the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

The city?s economic gains have come at a time when violent crime has jumped in Malden. In the last two months, there have been five shootings in the city, resulting in three deaths and two injuries. After three people were shot and killed Labor Day weekend, Malden Police Chief James J. Holland announced extra police patrols and authorized the use of gun-sniffing dogs to search city parks. Also, the Middlesex County Sheriff?s Office brought a video surveillance vehicle last week to the Salem Street neighborhood, where four of the shootings occurred. And, in the wake of the violence, the Guardian Angels began patrolling Malden?s streets on Oct. 9.

City Councilor Deborah Fallon believes the city needs to calm its citizens by adding permanent patrols and establishing monthly community meetings with the Police Department. She said the focus needs to shift away from the economy toward public safety. ?Everyone?s for improving the downtown, but now the emphasis has to be on public safety,?? Fallon said.

Fallon wants the city to boost its police roster, which now stands at 74. Last summer, Howard cut the jobs of four newly hired officers and demoted six higher-ranking officers, saving the city $600,000.

Howard said the increased violence in the Salem Street area is part of a regional wave of incidents involving guns and robberies. He said the violence was not gang-related, and added that drugs may have fueled some of the incidents. Howard also believes the city?s police are well-equipped to deal with the violence and the department is not undermanned.

?We have the same amount of manpower on the street as we had before the budget cuts, so we cover the same amount of territory with the same amount of sector cars,?? said Howard, who has met with city officials in Chelsea, Revere, and Everett with the hopes of creating a regional antiviolence task force.

Yet, even with three shooting fatalities in the city occurring in one month ? in 2009 there was just one homicide ? downtown merchants and residents are optimistic about the city?s future.

?I think the city has a good sense of its strengths and is trying to play them,?? said Chris Maietta, vice president of Combined Properties, the developer that spent $45 million to build Pleasant Street Apartments. Maietta said the trend toward living outside of major metropolitan cities is pushing people to places like Malden, which has cheaper rents and two subway stations.

While businesses have taken their time to invest heavily on Pleasant Street, the new crop of restaurants ? led by All Seasons Table, which Tran plans to invest another $700,000 to expand ? is filling a demand for downtown bistros created by the city?s new residents and the estimated 5,000 people who visit or work in Malden Square each day. Tran, who is offering a first for Malden, valet parking, said the city?s density and proximity to other thickly settled communities gave him the confidence to invest on Pleasant Street.

Seth Gregory, a four-year resident of Pleasant Street Apartments, where the rent for a two-bedroom unit runs as a high as $2,325 a month, says he expects the downtown to look much different in a few years. Gregory, who works as a software engineer in Harvard Square, said he?s happy with his apartment and commute and he?s saving money by not living in Cambridge or Boston.

Gregory says the downtown still needs businesses that would help build a sense of community, such as a coffee shop with wireless Internet connection or a bookstore or a new clothing shop.

Roy Papalia, a real estate broker for Boston-based Carpenter & Co., said attracting a clothing store as a downtown anchor would help bring in other new businesses. ?You?ve got to have a generator that brings people into the area,?? he said.

Howard believes Malden Square won?t reach new heights until the city razes Government Center and sells it to a developer, a move that would allow the two sections of Pleasant street to be reconnected and the downtown to be visible from the T station. In 2005, the City Council rejected a proposal to move the city offices to a high school annex.

These days, the 125,000-square-foot Government Center building needs at least $10 million in repairs, and Howard isn?t rushing into a big renovation project. About one-quarter of the building is vacant and, to date, few have inquired about renting the space. ?At some point you?ve got to fish or cut bait,?? the mayor said.

Steven Rosenberg can be reached at srosenberg@globe.com.

BTW:
Pleasant Street Apartments, where the rent for a two-bedroom unit runs as a high as $2,325 a month,

This is insane. The interior of this place must be stunning because the outside & neighborhood certainly don't justify this price.

Boston.com - January 6, 2011
CARDMalden opposes apartment complex
Posted by Kaileigh Higgins January 6, 2011 10:04 AM

By Kathy McCabe, Globe Staff
A group called CARDMalden is opposing an ordinance change that would open the door for apartments to be built at the former Super Fitness site on Jackson Street.

On Wednesday, the City Council and Planning Board will hold a joint public hearing on a proposed ordinance to change the city's so-called "residential overlay district" to include the area between Commercial, Exchange, and Main streets and Route 60.

The ordinance allows for housing developments to be built up to 12 stories. But CARDMalden -- which stands for Citizens Association for Responsible Development of Malden -- believes the change is not consistent with the city's master plan or a visioning statement prepared in 2009.

"Hundreds and hundreds of people came out to express their feelings on the master plan and their vision of Malden," said Lori Rittner, an organizer of CARDMalden. "It seems to me, that's not being listened to."

The group hopes more than one public hearing is held on the matter, she said. Wednesday's hearing is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the council chamber at City Hall.

Back