Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Re: Malden/Melrose

Padre Mike, just to be clear, the lifting City Hall thing was an April Fools joke by the mayor.

All I know, for saving Malden Sq. It takes way too much resources to try and knit south side of RT 60 with the north side. There's a better chance of meeting the goal with focusing on the north side. If it succeeds, then talks of reworking RT 60 can be done. Unless we can find a way to enlist the Fed or a private corporation with the cash for a Quincy-style super redo.

There's no plans for the south side of Rt 60 except for the baseball stadium. Everything is concentrated on what is bound by Florence St, Main St, and Rt 60, pretty much.

Padre Mike, just to be clear, the lifting City Hall thing was an April Fools joke by the mayor.

Thank you Statler...you never know the way polititians think sometimes! My brother always complains I'm too gullible!

Malden Patch - October 24, 2012
Mayor's Quest To Tear Down City Hall Underway

The city council approved plans to seek proposals for relocating city services Tuesday night. What do you think of the mayor's plans to tear down city hall?

By Chris Caesar
Email the author
5:55 am

The city council approved plans to issue two requests for proposals Tuesday night, both seeking plans to relocate city hall services as part of Mayor Gary Christenson's goal of tearing down city hall by the end of his term.

Once vacated, the city will likely begin a separate process seeking proposals for redevelopment of the 200 Pleasant St. parcel. The reason two separate RFPs were issued was not immediately clear Tuesday night.

Administration officials hope that re-purposing the property - adjacent to one of the MBTA's busiest T stations - will stimulate downtown economic development and more effectively re-purpose one of the city's most expensive pieces of real estate.

More details to come as they become available.

^^^^
Great location for something unique. Has access to the Orange Line driving right through. The problem is not too much innovation is gravitated towards Malden Ma.

Yeah, it really is a prime location. I wish I had more faith that something worthy will be built here.

I don't get too involved in local politics (sorry Beton) but if the new mayor is going to keep sharing city info like this I hope he has a long tenure.

I should point that this may very well be a big 'ol bundle of lies in wrapped in pretty paper, but I do appreciate the effort at least.

They've been looking at leasing for a while. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where they plan to move (but I'm biting my tongue, I don't want to ruin any deals).

The major problem is the police station. Which I can tell you is going to be bundled together with a brand new Malden Courthouse, as well as expanding it to compensate for closing a courthouse in Somerville and/or Woburn. Some prominent state judges, law enforcement brass, and politicians are aware of the plan. It's very ambitious and very good looking. I'm also going to refrain from disclosing where that will go.

I've also heard some details about where City Hall may be moving, but I hadn't heard about the police station/courthouse. That's interesting.

is downtown Malden really getting 19 sf? I know it's a great location to the OL but that's a shade higher than I'dve expected.

Overall pretty nice chart though.

Two projects on schedule to begin construction this year in downtown Malden. The first is at the former Super Fitness site which will house a pair of 6-story apartment buildings. The project is situated between Exchange and Rt. 60 will contain 210 units and retail space on corner of Jackson and Rt. 60.
picture.php

The other project is a 5-story apartment complex on top of a 1-story parking podium. The original plan was for a 12-story building before being downgraded down to 6 stories. The project will contain 195 units and retail space along Main Street.
picture.php

http://www.wickedlocal.com/malden/f...-could-create-new-Malden-center#axzz2H8wmfwbm

Wonder if this could move into the new minor league baseball stadium once it's built?

Wonder if this could move into the new minor league baseball stadium once it's built?
The stadium just installed brand new field turf which looks great. Also the stadium can probably hold 5,000 fans, which is more than acceptable for a self-proclaimed development league.

Two projects on schedule to begin construction this year in downtown Malden. The first is at the former Super Fitness site which will house a pair of 6-story apartment buildings. The project is situated between Exchange and Rt. 60 will contain 210 units and retail space on corner of Jackson and Rt. 60.
picture.php

The other project is a 5-story apartment complex on top of a 1-story parking podium. The original plan was for a 12-story building before being downgraded down to 6 stories. The project will contain 195 units and retail space along Main Street.
picture.php

http://www.wickedlocal.com/malden/f...-could-create-new-Malden-center#axzz2H8wmfwbm

DAYUM. I get excited when shit like this fills in streetwalls and bulks up density in Boston or Cambridge, let alone Malden.

I'd love for Malden to tear down Malden Government Center. Much like Boston's Gov't Center, its brutalist design.. and its dated. It needs to go.

I also hope they proceed with the idea of re-connecting Pleasant Street where Malden Government Center is now. Pleasant Street was ruined when it was cut off when MGC was built and the traffic was re-routed down Centre Street. Unless you have a reason to go down Pleasant Street, its non-useful. If they wanted to push the pedestrian mall thing in a better way, make the T Station side (where MGC is) more appealing to walk down. Most of the pedestrians walk from the T down to Centre.. Most don't even know that there's a walkway ramp that connects Pleasant Street to Commercial.

And as far as the stadium. While I think the NStar lot could be have a better use, I'm not convinced a stadium is a good fit. Only because there's not really an easy way to get to Malden Center (without taking Commercial from 16/Wellington or Pleasant/60 from the fellsway via Medford. How are they going to combat traffic? Yes it'll be near the T, but then again Fenway is near the T too yet its still a parking lot in that area when there's a game.

So the City of Malden posted a rendering of the new Redbones on their FB:

Asw5qF6.jpg

To which someone in all earnestness replied:

Can't wait - but doesn't look like they are leaving much room for parking??

Glad to see a brewery will be going in here! The rendering reminds me of The Sims haha

Back