Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Re: Malden/Melrose

Where is this Redbones going? and I'd love to see malden add height to its dense center

Commercial St. If you are familiar with where Rosebuds used to be, it is taking over that building.

While on the subject of Malden a quick note that the city (well, one of the churches) is hosting a group from Maldon, UK. They are a choir group who will be preforming at Old North on Wednesday and St. Paul's in Malden on Friday if anyone is into that sort of thing. There will some meet and greets after each event and they are a neat group of folks. I think I'll try to be at both. I'll be the one trying not be Otto.

Oh, hey, looks like some renderings have been released for the Florence St project (currently a parking lot)

rendering_1.JPG

Related documents

I'm fairly new to the area but commercial st is familiar. But those renderings don't look bad I'll try and take some photos once its going up

It is great to see Malden get developed. It was such a dump / butt of all jokes for so many years.

Other developments in Malden:

775 Eastern Ave:
lg775eastern_1.JPG

A new one story building here is a disappointment.

That is really lame, but thinking about the area of 775 Eastern Ave, there really is nothing greater in scale in the area. Probably have to think in increments, because there's still more space for more 1 story buildings and there still old warehouses still.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...proposed_for_washington_street_in_melros.html

Developers are looking to turn a vacant lot on Washington Street near the city line with Malden into a 94-unit apartment complex.

The proposal at 2 Washington St. is under review by the city's Planning Board, which received an initial presentation in late July. The plans call for a five-story building with 94 units, 132 parking spaces, and 2,200 square feet of ground level retail space to be developed on the 2.4-acre lot, located less than a quarter-mile from the Oak Grove MBTA station. Nine of the units will be designated affordable housing.

The development would abut a string of single-family and multi-family homes along Brazil Street, and the plans propose the construction of a retaining wall between the development and the residential street.

The proposal is the most recent in a surge of dense development near the Malden line that is part of Melrose's Smart Growth District. The 550-unit Oak Grove Village was completed in 2009, and the 212-unit Alta Stone Place is partially open and under construction.

The Planning Board will visit the site Wednesday Aug. 28, at 6:30 p.m., and a special meeting to discuss the proposal will be held Monday, Sept. 9 at 7:45 p.m., said Adam Duchesneau, the city's assistant planning director.

Anybody want to buy a City Hall?

Malden Patch
Malden Puts City Hall Up for Sale

Find out why the city wants to sell Malden Government Center, commonly referred to as City Hall.

Posted by Mark Ouellette (Editor) , August 23, 2013 at 02:48 PM
By Mark Ouellette

The city recently put Malden Government Center, commonly referred to as City Hall, up for sale with the hopes of a developer demolishing it and building anew at the Pleasant Street site in the downtown area.

Mayor Gary Christenson told Malden Patch there there are several reasons why the city issued a request for proposal (RFP) on Aug. 14 for the 2.19 acre parcel located across from the MBTA Orange Line.

"It's considered the major impediment to revitalizing the downtown because it's directly in the middle of Pleasant Street as you enter Malden Square," the mayor said about Government Center, adding that the building is about 125,000 square feet when the city realistically only needs 25,000 to 30,000 square feet to operate out of. "The building needs $10-12 million in repairs. It needs a new roof, it needs new windows, it needs new utilities and when you put all those factors together I think it makes sense for us to try and get out from where we are."

The city sent out more than 50 letters to developers in the Greater Boston area to garner interest in the redevelopment of this transit-oriented development site, according to a city press statement. The deadline for developers to submit a RFP is 11 a.m. on Oct. 11

The ultimate goal is for a developer to demolish City Hall, erected in 1975, and reconnect Pleasant Street to the downtown area, according to Christenson.

"One of the things that we are looking for is not so much what the property could garner in terms of dollars, but we're looking for something innovative and creative to end up there," Christenson said. "Some type of mixed-use, potentially a hotel, possibly a movie theater, some open space. We want this to be the beacon that it should be in downtown Malden."

"The effort to seek proposals from interested developers is due in large part to the continued demand for market rate housing in Malden, particularly because of its convenient access to public transportation," the statement adds. "The continued interest and growth of smaller service-oriented retail establishments in the downtown area was also a main consideration. Additionally, area businesses have long expressed a desire for a high-quality hotel in a convenient location north of Boston."

Now that the city has issued an RFP seeking redevelopment of the City Hall site, the mayor said the next step in process will likely be to issue another RFP to see where City Hall will operate in the future.

"We're going to submit a RFP for where City Hall could go on privately-owned land, as well as what it would cost to relocate us to the one municipally-owned parcel that could accommodate City Hall," Christenson said. "Then, we'll compare and contrast and act accordingly."

If the city receives a proposal on Oct. 11 that was "so enticing" and the developer wanted to move forward quickly, Christenson said he would suggest temporarily leasing a City Hall space until it's determined where the city wants to operate from long term. One possible location could be the Bank of America building on Exchange Street, he added.

As far as the downtown revitalization is concerned, Christenson said the city is currently working to renovate the lower half of Pleasant Street and anticipates the project being finished by October. Thanks to millions of dollars in federal funding secured by then-Congressman Edward Markey, the city has been able to complete a variety of downtown revitalization projects, including installing period lighting, repairing sidewalks, landscape work and setting up a rain garden at Pleasant Street.

"The mayor’s office, working with the Malden Restaurant Association, is undertaking a marketing campaign called: 'Dine in Malden, Taste the World,'" reads the statement.

The Malden Redevelopment Authority is administering the RFP process for and on behalf of the City, reads the statement. For more information, contact Assistant Executive Director Deborah Burke by calling 781-324-5720 or emailing dburke@maldenredevelopment.com.

I've been meaning to drop by the mayor's office and ask how much it would be to just be the first person to swing a sledgehammer at the damn place.

I've been meaning to drop by the mayor's office and ask how much it would be to just be the first person to swing a sledgehammer at the damn place.

How did Malden end up with their own mini, equally horrendous grade-separated City Hall Plaza? Was in that area for the first time today (ref: skyline thread) and was shocked to find that City Hall Plaza has a little brother.

How did Malden end up with their own mini, equally horrendous grade-separated City Hall Plaza? Was in that area for the first time today (ref: skyline thread) and was shocked to find that City Hall Plaza has a little brother.

Malden thought it was the "future" and that they were cutting edge at the time. It was intended to follow Boston's footsteps, and everyone expected government buildings to miraculously be the center of activity. ...Gee, how thrilling. :rolleyes: Little did they realize they completely doomed downtown.

Malden thought it was the "future" and that they were cutting edge at the time. It was intended to follow Boston's footsteps, and everyone expected government buildings to miraculously be the center of activity. ...Gee, how thrilling. :rolleyes: Little did they realize they completely doomed downtown.

I find it humorous of the parallels between to the two. Correct me if my history is wrong, but I believe both held a contest with similar criteria t demonstrate openness and transparency. With both being in the same timeframe, both ended up building the same type of building that almost cannot be any more opposite of that criteria. The biggest difference is Malden it in the middle of the street blocking both the traffic routes and the train station.

Anyone heard anything about whats happening with Malden's city hall?

^ Do you have info, or are you just fishing for info?

I was just fishing for insight.. Looks like there's something going up on Florence St. right around the corner from the Malden Center T stop http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/malden/2013/06/two_malden_parking_lots_to_clo.html
"An 80-unit apartment building will be built on the Florence Street parcel, and a mixed-use building with 195 housing units, retail space and a parking garage will be built on Dartmouth Street."

This article came out months ago but I just ran across it
http://maldenredevelopment.com/uplo...d Front Elevation-No Text(05-31-2012) (2).jpg
http://maldenredevelopment.com/uploads/images/12195_Malden_Main Street Elevation - Cropped (2).JPG
^renderings

thats good nimbyism. Ever been to that location?

Yea I think i used to drive by Weiss Farm in Stoneham. If its the place I'm thinking its just got about 6 dump trucks always parked there and a couple huge piles of dirt and no animals on the farm?
Although I do like urbanism, your right, this is probably a good thing to keep. Most likely one of the only farms left close to boston

I'm glad to see that -- "Fast-Eddie of Malden" ... aka the only man living in Malden who has to ask directions to visit his home address when he arrives for the ceremonial visit every 2 years -- remembered his "hometown" -- Oh yea there was a race for Senate

As far as the downtown revitalization is concerned, Christenson said the city is currently working to renovate the lower half of Pleasant Street and anticipates the project being finished by October. Thanks to millions of dollars in federal funding secured by then-Congressman Edward Markey, the city has been able to complete a variety of downtown revitalization projects, including installing period lighting, repairing sidewalks, landscape work and setting up a rain garden at Pleasant Street.
-- DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH -- Fast Eddie has progressed to the Senate and won't be back anytime soon

Back