Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Re: Malden/Melrose

It's just missing an awkward penthouse with floor to ceiling windows to make it a true mess.

Excuse my French, but what the fuck is up with these god-awful pseudo-mansard/truncated gable roofs?! 2 projects in the past 5 posts have them! I feel my lunch coming back up.

what the hell is that thing and what awful architect thought that was ok?

Holy crap that building looks like Dumb Donald from Fat Albert!

Dumb_Donald_DD.jpg

It's the blindingly-white vinyl(?) windows that really sell the overall look.

Don't know much about this project and haven't been able to find a lot of info on it, so I will temper my criticism, but any time a seemingly pedestrian friendly project is killed due to traffic concerns, I am skeptical.

Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Project is Withdrawn
Friday, September 5, 2014

As the City Council reconvened on Tuesday night following the summer recess, Mayor Christenson informed them that the City could not move forward on the proposed Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Project at the Beebe School. The proposed project had been in the works for the past few years and included nearly $600,000 in federal funds for pedestrian safety improvements to the Pleasant-Elm Street and Highland Avenue intersections.

As part of the infrastructure improvements, the project required the closing of Elm Street, rendering it a dead-end street. Residents were concerned that the closure would negatively impact the flow of traffic on neighboring streets. Mayor Christenson hosted two meetings with residents and MassDOT officials to discuss the benefits of the project, the concerns of the neighborhood and any possible adjustments to the plan. “It is clear from the meetings and the response of residents thereafter that even with suggested modifications to the plan, the number of residents opposed outnumbered those in favor of the project,” said Mayor Christenson . “I want to thank MassDOT and the traffic engineers from the Engineering Corp that have put a lot of time and effort into this project. We will continue to work to find ways to improve and make our City safer.”

It sounds like the all-too-familiar traffic tail wagging the city planning dog. But this is how we live today——traffic/parking fears dictate planning to the benefit of the automobile and the detriment of the pedestrian.

In this case it would seem that Malden thinks its cars are more important than its kids!

Secretary Bialecki Announces $6 Million Massworks Grant to Help Revitalize Malden Center
Friday, December 19, 2014

At a press conference held today at Malden City Hall, Housing and Economic Development Secretary Greg Bialecki announced an additional $6 million in funding for a transformative development plan in Malden Center. The grant will enable the City to replace its municipal buildings across from the Orange Line T station with a mixed use development, reconnect Pleasant Street, relocate City Hall within the new development and build a new police headquarters. “This is an exciting plan for Malden Center,” said Secretary Bialecki. “We are pleased to make this strategic public investment that will not only trigger a major private investment, but also continue the effort to make downtown a magnet for those who want to live, work and play in a walkable urban neighborhood.”

The developer, Jefferson Apartment Group, plans to invest an estimated $100 million to purchase City Hall and the Police Headquarters and build 234 market rental units, 25,000 square feet of retail space, 42,000 square feet of office space, and 276 parking spaces on the site. “I applaud Governor Patrick and Secretary Bialecki for investing in Malden’s future through the MassWorks Infrastructure Program,” said Congresswoman Katherine Clark. “This funding will allow the City to continue to make targeted improvements in and around Malden Center. Downtown Malden is a vibrant community center with incredible economic potential, and I am confident that strategic public investment will make the City an even more attractive and exciting location for residents, businesses and developers.”

The City will purchase and use the office space for its new City Hall, apparently the first time that a Massachusetts municipality has located its offices in such a mixed use complex. The developer will also reconnect Pleasant Street, which was divided when City Hall was built in 1975. Secretary Bialecki announced the new $6 million grant under the MassWorks public infrastructure program to supplement the $3 million MassWorks grant awarded in November 2013. “This additional grant money continues to show the Commonwealth's commitment to and respect for the taxpayers of Malden,” said Representative Christopher Fallon. “This project is finally coming to a point of finality and I specifically congratulate all the local officials who committed so much effort to see this plan to its conclusion.”

Since mid-2013, the Commonwealth has worked closely with the nine communities in Metro North because of their potential to provide the live-work-play neighborhoods that are critical to growing the state’s innovative economy. In October 2014, the Commonwealth and Metropolitan Area Planning Council released a Land Use Priority Plan for Metro North that identified state priority development areas, including Malden Center, and state priority preservation areas. The funds will be used to help the City acquire, design, and construct a new police headquarters on a site along Eastern Avenue just east of Malden Center. Secretary Bialecki also announced that the Eastern Avenue corridor would be designated a Growth District to ensure that this and other sites are development-ready. Eastern Avenue will become the 23rd Growth District in the state.

Mayor Gary Christenson announced today that a preliminary agreement to acquire the Eastern Avenue site has been reached and that the City expects to obtain possession and start construction on the new police headquarters in 2015. “Each piece of this plan benefits the City and together they transform the entire downtown and help us revitalize the Eastern Avenue commercial corridor as well,” said Mayor Christenson. “By reconnecting Pleasant Street and creating lively edges along the street, we open up the entire downtown to one of our greatest assets, our subway connection to Boston.”

“This plan is the result of a lot of hard work and collaboration, and is a great example of the impact local and state government can have when working together,” said Councilor James Nestor. “This project will transform the downtown for future generations.” “The chosen site for the construction of a new Police Station on Eastern Avenue is a fantastic location one that is easily accessible to all points in Malden,” said Councilor Neil Kinnon. “It’s long been identified as a prime location for a public safety facility. Ward Six looks forward to having the Malden Police Station and the hard working men and women who serve Malden as part of our neighborhood.”

In addition to the MassWorks grant, the Mayor said the City was financing the plan, likely to cost over $30 million, through $12.5 million in local bonding, sale of the municipal buildings and other local funding. Through the MassWorks Infrastructure Program, the Patrick Administration partners with local communities and helps municipalities make targeted investments in infrastructure such as roadways, streetscapes, water, and sewer to facilitate and support new and sustained housing and economic growth throughout the state.

Administered by the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development, the MassWorks Infrastructure Program provides a one-stop shop for municipalities seeking funding to support housing, economic development and job creation and placed a particular emphasis on assisting communities to advance multi-family housing development in the 2013 and 2014 rounds. The Patrick Administration has invested almost $300 million in MassWorks infrastructure and public improvements projects statewide since 2011.

City of Malden

eyHDcXs.jpg

sJPzQDC.jpg

that's great... downtown malden suffered a lot from urban renewal. i heard about this awhile back but never heard any followup for the logistics. good news for malden. that dead end in the middle of downtown is just one of the dumbest things imaginable - even in the '60s, how could they do something so stupid?

i've heard talk (probably here) of daylighting parts of the malden river, which would also be great.

Not sure what this development is or what it is called but it is near 458 Main St. by the corner of Salem St

The older looking light brick façade is a nice touch

Not sure about this one either. This is on Washington St. near Oak Grove

It looks as though there will be street level retail

P.S. these were all taken 2 or 3 weeks ago, I'll try and snap some more pics soon

The Main St Malden project is coming out a lot better than I expected it to.

Not sure what's going on with the Oak Grove site, but added density in that area is always a plus.

Maybe 2 Washington will help get those vacancies filled in the old registry building too. Their space has been empty for a few years now. With this new development and the abutting registry/pizza place building, there's an opportunity to have a nice little commercial center for the area.

I'm just dreaming right now but the MBTA should renovate oak grove station and add an exit/entrance at the other end of the train with a new ped bridge over the tracks connecting Washington St. with Banks Pl, build a 5-6 story parking garage to replace the 788-spot wasteland surrounding the station, and build apartments on the freed up land or just sell the land to recoup the investment faster although owning and leasing would probably be more profitable in the long run. Anyone else come up with ideas for that area? It just seems like such a waste of valuable space adjacent to the T for a quarter mile of parking

Maybe 2 Washington will help get those vacancies filled in the old registry building too. Their space has been empty for a few years now. With this new development and the abutting registry/pizza place building, there's an opportunity to have a nice little commercial center for the area.

The entire Registry building including the deli is being renovated into a daycare - Little Sprouts Melrose: http://www.littlesprouts.com/melrose/home

Target date is Summer 2015

I'm just dreaming right now but the MBTA should renovate oak grove station and add an exit/entrance at the other end of the train with a new ped bridge over the tracks connecting Washington St. with Banks Pl, build a 5-6 story parking garage to replace the 788-spot wasteland surrounding the station, and build apartments on the freed up land or just sell the land to recoup the investment faster although owning and leasing would probably be more profitable in the long run. Anyone else come up with ideas for that area? It just seems like such a waste of valuable space adjacent to the T for a quarter mile of parking
Absolutely agree with putting an additional exit on the north end of the platform. It doesn't make any sense at all to not have one there, especially with the new development springing up.

Hmm, a daycare wouldn't have been my first choice, but at least it will fill a vacancy. The most glaring opportunity for development in the area would have to be the empty lot at the corner of Winter and Washington. It's MBTA-owned and just a fenced in lawn. They're currently using it as a lay down area for the platform and emergency exit construction. A nice mixed use building would be great there. If they have no plans for selling or developing it, I don't understand why they've left it alone for the past 35 years instead of paving it over to help address the serious lack of parking at the station. They could have expanded their priority parking program or whatever it's called.

Hmm, a daycare wouldn't have been my first choice, but at least it will fill a vacancy

As a former Melrose resident that commuted daily via bus and orange line, a daycare near the T would have been amazing. I could take the bus from home with the little guy, drop him off, and then do the reverse when I needed to pickup!

Back