Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Re: Malden/Melrose

Related:

Malden City Council eyes moratorium on residential construction

By Andrew Cardinale
malden@wickedlocal.com

Posted Mar. 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM

MALDEN

Residential construction could be slowing down soon. City officials voted this week to hold a public hearing to discuss the possibility of placing a moratorium on building.

The Malden City Council on March 3 voted 10-1 to take the first steps towards a moratorium. Councilor James Nestor cast the only vote against the moratorium.

The matter, proposed by Councilor Neil Kinnon, is a response to Malden’s growing population, which rose 7,000 people between the 2000 and 2010 censuses.

“We need to step back and say, ‘How many people to we want to have in Malden?,’” said Kinnon during a meeting of the Ordinance Committee meeting.

For Kinnon, the issue comes down to population density. He explained there are cases where properties are split into two or more lots to build more units, or existing buildings are being converted from one or two family dwellings to three plus.

“The denser a community becomes, the less likable it becomes,” he said. “At some point the question has to be answered, ‘At what point does Malden...become too dense?”

The proposed moratorium would last one year after being put into effect. It would not affect any construction currently planned, including those in the downtown area.

A joint Planning Board/City Council meeting will be held to discuss the matter further.

- See more at: http://malden.wickedlocal.com/article/20150305/NEWS/150308582/11669/NEWS#sthash.7uELruwt.dpuf

Lol Malden. What a fucking joke.

is a response to Malden’s growing population, which rose 7,000 people between the 2000 and 2010 censuses.

59,450 - 56,340 = 3,110. How is 3,110 equal to 7,000?

This is pathetic news. Malden is essentially a neighborhood of Boston, but because they happen to be governed as an independent municipality, people believe Malden is a small, rural town. Wow.

Malden has been for a long time a mish-mash of urban styles. The density of apartment houses in some sections rivals Tremont St. in the South End. Double and triple-deckers are crowded together and more resemble parts of Everett. But then there is the West End with elegant Victorians, suburban developments very close to the hospital site, but just over the hill the density of Medford is truly urban. But no one mentioned the traffic. At the best of times it's a nightmare. Overbuilding on the hospital site will funnel a ton of traffic up and down the hill via 2 narrow streets that dump into the already-crowded Fellsway and Fellsway East. I don't blame the residents for resisting density. And I also don't blame them for fearing the stupid 40B laws that allow some developers to pack substandard structures into weird lots and make a huge profit on them. I saw this first hand in Billerica...ugly little neighborhoods stuck into inadequate land areas.

I know I already commented on the grossly inaccurate figure used for Malden's population growth, but I need to comment on this:

“The denser a community becomes, the less likable it becomes,” he said. “At some point the question has to be answered, ‘At what point does Malden...become too dense?”

This might be the dumbest, most ass-backwards reasoning I've heard in a very long time. How can this guy be a city councilor if he has no idea what he's talking about? This thinking of the 1960's has been proven wrong so many times over.

How would he respond to somebody pointing out any one of a number of FACTS!!!:

The three densest major cities in the United States:

1. New York City
  2. San Francisco
  3. Boston

The three most expensive real estate markets in the United States:

1. New York City
  2. San Francisco
  3. Boston

Obviously this shows that denser community are less likable. Doy! This guy grinds my gears. The densest municipality in New England? Somerville! Malden wishes it was Somerville, and many people in Malden wish they lived in Somerville! I am not knocking people who choose to live in Malden, I am just pointing out that density = unlikable, is the most ass-backwards, dumbest, proven wrong theory I have ever seen. This makes me want to start a large scale petition for this man to step down and let somebody who is more qualified take over.

I agree with you completely, but from experience, the folks in Malden tend to compare their city to either Melrose (less dense) or Everett (more dense).

Of course the success/failure of those cities have very little to do with their density and completely ignores the all the successfully dense cities throughout the region.

Common sense prevails.

Malden Observer said:
Planning Board: Proposed construction freeze does not pass

Posted Apr. 1, 2015 at 1:45 PM

MALDEN

If they stop building it, not as many would come.

At least that was the theory behind a proposed one-year moratorium on residential construction. But after lengthy debate, the Planning Board eventually voted against the recommendation to slow the city’s population growth.

“I think that the moratorium is an overreaction,” said Planning Board member Josh Billings. “It’s not required to get a solution to the problems that the city is currently facing.”

The moratorium, as proposed by Councilor Neil Kinnon, would halt residential construction citywide, except in places where work or planning is currently underway, such as in the downtown area.

As Kinnon explained in a presentation during the March 31 joint hearing of the Planning Board and the City Council, Malden’s population has steadily increased since 1970, causing issues of increased population density and traffic and eventual concerns on maintaining adequate levels of public service. A reason for that, he explained, were variances to the building codes allowing construction on spaces too small for the projects they contain.

To address these concerns, Kinnon proposed the moratorium to take time to study the impact the population increases will have going forward and ascertain a potential maximum.

“This is about protecting our neighborhoods,” Kinnon said. “Without knowing where we want to be with a maximum population, population density and number of vehicles, we're just letting things happen to us.”

“We need to take a timeout if we want to make this a livable city,” Kinnon added.

Though most seemed to agree with Kinnon’s assessment in terms of the potential issues of an increased population, the idea of imposing a moratorium was too much for some to support.

“We don’t want people to think that we’ve shut down, that we aren’t viable,” said Planning Board member Lorraine Danca.

The Planning Board took two votes on the matter. The first, which was motioned by member Kenneth Antonucci, called for the approval of moratorium and was voted down 5-3, with only Antonucci, Eric Henry and Chairman Charles Ioven in favor.

The second vote, which recommended against the moratorium, was motioned by member Diane Chuha. It was amended by Antonucci to include follow-up actions to address some of Kinnon’s concerns. That motion passed unanimously.

One of those plans was to review the follow-up actions in the city’s master plan. City Planner Michelle Romero explained that various studies and surveys that came out of the last construction moratorium in 2005 led to the creation of the master plan in 2010. Despite the plan, Romero pointed to a “lack of political support and lack of funding” to explain why the city did not follow through on these action items.

“We had the next steps but got disappointing support by other bodies [in the city],” Ioven said.

Being a public hearing, members of the audience spoke on both sides of the issue, with varying opinions. One argument in particular, however, seemed to seal the board’s decision.

“This moratorium would cause me financial hardship,” said John Roman, a Malden resident who owns undeveloped land in the city in addition to his home.

Though he admitted not being sure if he would develop the land during the proposed timeframe of the moratorium, Roman felt he should still be allowed to have that option.

“I shouldn’t have that right taken away from me,” he said.

That public discourse, city officials felt, was invaluable in coming to a decision.

“I’m very impressed by the dialogue and the level of discourse we had here tonight,” said Ordinance Chairman Councilor David D’Arcangelo after the meeting. “I want to make sure that whatever we do reflects the will of the people of Malden.”

They are the planning department, maybe make a plan?

Does anyone know what is going in at the old Super Fitness site? They just finished demo'ing the building but I can't remember seeing any plans for the lot.

Edit: Just found it.

Construction at Former Super Fitness Site Begins
Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mayor Gary Christenson participated in the official groundbreaking on the site of the former Super Fitness building which will be known as the Exchange Street Apartments. Combined Properties has designed the new development to mirror the mixed-use transit oriented smart growth living option they built at 160 Pleasant Street in 2006. The property will be a mix of studio, one and two bedroom suites along with 2,000 square feet of retail space.

The building is now being demolished and construction is slated to be finished in the spring of 2016.

exchange1.jpg

Look at all that complete lack of ground floor retail.

Well done again Malden. Maybe someday the thought of being a city won't terrify you.

Edit 2: My mistake, there is some retail in the other side of the building:

a0Kaptn.png

Edit 2: My mistake, there is some retail in the other side of the building:

Don't get your hopes up. This company (Combined Properties) also built 160 Pleasant across the street. That has a "retail space" too. A miserable little space which would require any business that moves in to pick up the cost for a handicap mover thingy on the stairway inside. Malden forces this company to add retail to its developments and the company responds with nothing but spite and offers shitty ass "retail space" to get around the requirement.

Phase 2 has commenced at Overlook Ridge on the Revere/Malden line. Can't find any docs, hoping to hear back from the project team. Should include offices and retail IIRC.

Is anyone interested in this? My wife is all excited about it but it seems lie something that will be out of business in about two years to me. Maybe I'm just a grump.

Boston Magazine said:
Boda Borg to Open in Malden This Summer
The 30,000-square-foot space will be the Swedish reality gaming company’s first North American location. The multi-level ‘questing’ center will contain 18 different challenges.

By Madeline Bilis | Arts & Entertainment | April 30, 2015 10:00 a.m.

Bostonians have a few tasks to add to their to-do lists for this summer: break out of prison, escape from a haunted house, win a trivia game show, and maybe become a Quest Master.

Swedish reality gaming company Boda Borg will open its first North American location in Malden this July, where all of these things can be done in one day. The former Sparks Department Store location is being gutted to build a multi-level “questing” center with 18 different challenges. Questing is comparable to playing a video game in real life, but instead of controls, you crawl, climb, and use your body and mind to complete challenges.

A team of three to five people can begin a quest, which contains between two and five challenges. Each challenge plays out in its own room, and players can only access the next room if they complete the challenge before it. If players fail a challenge, they must restart from the initial room. (Some of the most difficult challenges can take more than 20 tries!) A successful quest ends in an unlocked stamp box, where players are able to stamp their cards to show that they’ve completed all challenges.

Quest Masters are players who complete all 18 quests in one visit.

“I really only know one team of Quest Masters,” said Chad Ellis, owner of Boda Borg Boston. “A family of gymnasts completed all of the quests in about three and a half hours.”

While Quest Masters are rare, there will be a designated Quest Master Hall of Fame in the 30,000-square-foot space, in addition to an all-you-can-eat taco bar for quick and easy refueling.

“Our quests are different from other live-action games because most other games tell you what you need to do,” said Ellis. “Here, you have to figure it out yourself.”

Ellis explained that a person can complete all of the quests usually by the sixth or seventh visit. He plans to change some of the quests annually, and wants to expand to 25 total quests within the next five years.

“I’m a huge geek,” said Ellis, who’s an avid Magic: The Gathering player and owner of a small game publishing company in Brookline. Ellis is also a graduate of Harvard Business School, which is how Boda Borg CEO and HBS alum David Spigner sought him out as a potential business partner. After testing out questing in Sweden, Ellis was hooked, and convinced Spigner that Boston was the perfect location for the first non-European Boda Borg.

Ellis hired three local builders and construction workers to spearhead the Quest building, which is now underway. They’ve recently returned from questing at Boda Borgs overseas, spending eight days testing their wits and physical fitness to better understand how to construct a Boda Borg back home.

Keith Schifano, one of the Boda Borg Boston builders, said he was immediately “sucked in” to questing.

“We were questing all day up until 12 and 1 in the morning. We slept three or four hours and did it again because we were so excited,” said the Malden native.

Taking trips to Sweden to play games isn’t a regular part of the job for the trio.

“It’s been an incredible experience,” said Schifano. “I’ve been in this line of work for over 20 years, and I’ve never done something like this.”

Schifano explained that he felt pretty sore upon his return to the States, in part because of black quests. Quests differ in levels of physical activity, and are ranked into three categories: green, red, and black. Green quests require some level of dexterity and are handicap accessible. Red quests include some non-strenuous physical activity, such as crawling through a tunnel. Black quests require significant physical fitness, and could include climbing across a rock wall.

The black quests are notorious among Boda Borg Boston’s employees—even Ellis hasn’t completed some of the toughest black quests. “I’m in fairly good shape, and I’m even doing some strength training!” he said.

Boda Borg markets to questers ages 8 to 108, and will offer a conference space for meetings and birthday parties. Tickets will start at $18 for a two-hour questing day, and $28 for an all-day pass.

90 Pleasant St., Malden, bodaborg.com.
Link

One of my friends and I were talking about coming down to do that for a day and it is a couple hour drive for us so it might do well if it can get enough publicity.

Mayor Seeks Additional Members to his Advisory Committee on Walkability
Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mayor Gary Christenson’s Advisory Committee on Walkability has made great strides in recommending to him improvements to crosswalks, making intersections safer, and installing signage in an effort to encourage more people to walk and to connect Malden's neighborhoods. He is now seeking to add members who have ideas and creative initiatives to make Malden a top walkable city in Massachusetts. Walkers of all ages are encouraged to apply! Applicants must be Malden residents, have a passion for walking and a desire to help improve walkability for pedestrians. Monthly meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month at City Hall, 200 Pleasant Street, 6th Floor, Mayor’s Office Conference Room from 6-7PM. Members also devote some time on their own in between meetings to research and follow-up on projects.

To apply, please email kmanninghall@cityofmalden.org letting the Mayor and the Committee know your reasons for wanting to become a member along with the types of projects or issues that interest you with regard to making Malden a more walkable community.
Link

Anyone know what happened to the Malden minor league baseball stadium? Is it dead or just stuck?

Anyone know what happened to the Malden minor league baseball stadium? Is it dead or just stuck?

Website appears to have been quietly updated to quote new projected opening of April 2017.

http://www.maldenballpark.com/home-plate.html

That still seems awfully optimistic--less than 24 months--unless a truly heroic, authoritarian-style (Qatar-esque?) construction plan is imposed.

I just don't fucking get it.

This would be the perfect spot for a mini-Assembly. Don't the developers see how popular (and profitable) TODs are today?

I can't fathom the thought process here.

I just don't fucking get it.

This would be the perfect spot for a mini-Assembly. Don't the developers see how popular (and profitable) TODs are today?

I can't fathom the thought process here.

Because Malden.

Maybe it's some longstanding townie-on-townie rivalry knee-jerking them to say "If Medford's for it, I'm against it", but Malden's always been one of those weird dense inner 'burbs that's frustratingly obtuse on planning. Pro-development, so wouldn't classify them as born NIMBY's like Dedham. But they just throw random planning shit at the wall in a context vacuum like they're not even aware what anyone else is doing. And then are dumbfounded when nothing comes of it. Their ideas are, like, never ever curated.

That would make sense if a developer pitched a TOD and was shot down by the city, but as far as I know, the city doesn't own the lot and never put out a RFP so this useless stadium was the only thing ever proposed for this spot.
Granted, the city should have told them to go fuck themselves and come back with a real plan, but the plan itself is solely the fault of this Kevin Costner-wannabe developer.

Back