Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

Oak grove mbta stop deserves a second enterance/exit platform on the north side of the station IMO
oak_zpsvm8co3qd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Or even a public pedestrian bridge that connects Washington st and main st somewhere in between Oak Grove and Wyoming stations would benefit many

Last edited:
Banks Place to Stone Place would be an obvious location for a pedestrian bridge.

Oak Grove has a 2014-constructed emergency exit on the north end of the Orange Line platform. A true pedestrian bridge with faregates there wouldn't be cheap, but probably worthwhile.

Jesus, the Orange Line really needs to get extended to Wyoming

Banks Place to Stone Place would be an obvious location for a pedestrian bridge.

I asked Mayor Dolan about this when Alta was under review. He said it would have been too much of an ask. The 'detour' to go around is insanely long. Before they shored up the fence/secured the crossing, I used to cross with my bike through the gate that was often left open.

Please God yes.

You forgot the Windsor apartments with ~500 units.

A 2,000 mile extension might be stretching the T budget.

Yep. Because you can't just stub out at-grade at Wyoming if you want any provision for future extension. Has to be in a cut or on an embankment. If it weren't for that, this would be a cheapie for lack of any real costs to upgrade the electrical feed or add any more storage than the current OG tail track that's almost never used. And would help commuter rail cost recovery a little by whacking too-close, no-bus Cedar Park station and speeding things up noticeably out to Reading.

Alas, it's going to take some steel and concrete...and approval from the abutters to do so. That's enough to knock it off the lowest-hanging fruit perch.

Malden has passed its Community Preservation Act.
The unofficial results for Question 3, the Malden CPA, are:
3,269 yes, 2,093 no, winning in all 8 wards.

Main St has so much potential. Too bad urban renewal straight up fucked it over.

Main St has so much potential. Too bad urban renewal straight up fucked it over.

Did you mean Main Street--or Centre Street [i.e., the Route 60 corridor], as it traverses the Commercial Street intersection at the Malden Center T stop?

My understanding was that Centre Street, in its appalling low-density, auto-centric, pedestrian-alienating bleakness, was what was truly fucked-up by 1950-70s projects. Exhibit A being the notorious Death Star of a City Hall with its soul-sucking streetwall that runs along the Centre/Commercial intersection.

Main Street is a actually more than a quarter-mile away from the Centre/Commercial intersection, the "logical, "true" downtown core of Malden if I'm interpreting things right.

Speaking of, it's been ages since there's been an update on the proposed minor league baseball stadium/mixed-use convention facility for the big empty lot at the southeast side of the Centre/Commercial intersection.

This Globe story from December 2013 says they were hoping to open in spring 2016:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/r...face-delays/ESZ0quKqgJSCI7gGjRAbAM/story.html

Realistically, even if all the land deals were consummated this spring, I think you'd have to give it a year for permitting/regulatory review & final community review, plus two years build-out, puts you in spring 2020 opening, best-case scenario. But you have to wonder if it's simply fallen apart...

^great size but why oh why do we keep getting these hideous buildings? This cheap repellant style has got to stop sometime... The worst part is that these cheap panel facades age like dogshit unlike at least some other ugly affordable styles that at least remain as ugly today as they were when they were built...

From what I have gathered, there has been some pushback from the public about demolishing the 8 Hallmark Health owned houses/facilities to build surface parking lots for Melrose-Wakefield Hospital but the larger project including the new patient wing and parking garage should be a net win for the community.
http://www.lwda.com/project/melrose-wakefield-hospital-master-plan
MWH%20Brochure%2011x17_Page_4%20web https://www.flickr.com/photos/139821956@N03/, on Flickr

I haven't found anything indicating a time frame for this other than it will be broken down into multiple phases beginning with the surface lots being built, then the garage being demolished and replaced by a new hospital wing and ending with the construction of a new garage. If anyone has any better info or news on what's happening here, please share

lots_zpsolkskwmj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mwh_zps9z55g29b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mwh2_zpsxdqb6brl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
From what I have gathered, there has been some pushback from the public about demolishing the 8 Hallmark Health owned houses/facilities to build surface parking lots for Melrose-Wakefield Hospital but the larger project including the new patient wing and parking garage should be a net win for the community.

I went to the community meeting back in October(?). My issue was that the hospital and the planning board separated the project into multiple phases. Like phase 1 was the Porter St surface lots, Phase 2 the parking garage, and Phase 3 the new wing (or very similar). It made no sense to tear down the houses if the other phases were not guaranteed to happen. On top of that, the only need to tear town the houses was to support the hospital parking during construction. Once the new facility is done, there's no need for the lots. They need to figure out how to support those 50-60 spaces on the main campus or at a satellite facility. Sell the houses back to families. It's a residential neighborhood.

SM89, I agree, it would be a shame to tear down these houses in the center of Melrose for surface lots that aren't even guaranteed to be needed. There has to be ways to mitigate this parking issue while allowing the hospital to maintain its day-to-day operations and pursue its expansion without demolishing at least the majority of these houses. Housing > surface parking lots..

MWH/Hallmark Health already deals with parking shortages and have off-site locations for employees to park and get shuttled to and from work. They own/lease(?) the lot next to the old Deering Lumber site which is about 40-50 spaces and also have a shuttle system from the square one mall. The Square One mall is only 7 minutes (2.3 miles) from MWH and has plenty of available parking. Is shuttling a handful more employees for a year or two out of the realm?

Just a crazy thought here, what if they were permitted to go ahead with this project as planned with the condition of the Upper and Lower Porter Lots being temporary and sold/swapped back to the city for further redevelopment. Let them tear down a few old homes (These aren't old historic Victorian beauties), build the lots, utilize them during the construction period, and then once the new garage is built and parking capacity is back to normal or greater, redevelop the porter lots.
The corner or Porter and Main/Lebanon (Lower Porter lot) would be a good location for a lunch/dinner kind of place and the Upper Porter lot could later be a small apartment/condo building or something along those lines.
I don't know how realistic this is but it seems counter-intuitive to be tearing down houses in a hot real-estate market to replace them with surface lots when there are other ways to deal with the issue.

The Point at 180 apparently just broke ground. New to me

4GLdZ3n.jpg

The Point at 180 is an upscale 86-unit apartment property. The Point at 180 project will be built on a 14,000-square-foot open site at 180 Eastern Avenue, walkable to the MBTA’s Malden Center station. 86 one- and two-bedroom units, ranging in size from 650 to 1200 square feet, will begin at $1900 per month. Amenities will include fitness and club rooms, an extensive private landscaped patio with gas firepits and grills, indoor parking, and a private resident bike room along the Bike to the Sea, which is a recently converted bike path located immediately adjacent to The Point at 180. Completion of the project is slated for May 2017.

Current site (well, 2014)

wTx7EDw.jpg

Back