Malden + Melrose Infill and Small Developments

That would make sense if a developer pitched a TOD and was shot down by the city, but as far as I know, the city doesn't own the lot and never put out a RFP so this useless stadium was the only thing ever proposed for this spot.
Granted, the city should have told them to go fuck themselves and come back with a real plan, but the plan itself is solely the fault of this Kevin Costner-wannabe developer.

It's a rather large number of separate parcels/property owners that had to get bought out--this is all public knowledge, covered in the media. Maybe 5 to 7

Of course, as each successive property owner gets bought out, the hold-outs' leverage over the questing developer grows exponentially.

In other words--I'm sure a lot of the delays have involved unanticipated hang-ups with negotiating/finessing/haggling with the property owners...

Maybe it will get delayed just long enough for this developer to bail and a better developer to step in.

I like good a good TOD like everyone else but movie theatres, stadiums, music halls and even the occasional museum, common or random attraction can make a place (and life in general) more interesting for the better.

Maybe it will get delayed just long enough for this developer to bail and a better developer to step in.

The one obvious catch with that is that if the current development has been blessed with tax advantages/tax breaks contingent on the current developer achieving the current project. A whole bunch of other prospective developers might be interested... but then they hear the tax breaks go out the window if the current developer walks away. Then what?

I like good a good TOD like everyone else but movie theatres, stadiums, music halls and even the occasional museum, common or random attraction can make a place (and life in general) more interesting for the better.

I'm fine with building a baseball stadium in Malden, just not directly across from a T station. I get why the developer wants it there but it's not the highest and best use for the lot. Of course, you can say that about most lots around the Malden T stops, so why start now?

In other news...

Groundbreaking Ceremony for New Malden Police Station
Tuesday, August 4, 2015

City and State officials gathered in Malden on Tuesday afternoon, August 4th at 2:30 PM for a groundbreaking ceremony to kick off the beginning of the construction of a new Police Station at 800 Eastern Avenue. Jay Ash, Secretary of Housing and Economic Development for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts attended the ceremony. A speaking program was followed by a celebratory photo with attendees to memorialize this important milestone.

This new 24,000 square foot Malden Police Station is a critical part of a major redevelopment that will contribute to the economic revival of Downtown Malden. The future police station represents the first phase of a bold plan by the City of Malden to revitalize Malden Square by demolishing the existing City Hall and Police Station at 200 Pleasant Street, reopening Pleasant Street to through traffic, and connecting Downtown Malden to the Malden Center T Station. Jefferson Apartment Group will then redevelop the site into a thriving mixed-use retail/residential/office development.

“This project is an example of staying true to your goals as the City Council, State Leaders, and Staff have demonstrated through their hard work and dedication to making it all happen. This is a major step in fulfilling our vision of making the City Hall site the cornerstone of our downtown,” Mayor Gary Christenson said.

The State is providing $9 million in MassWorks Infrastructure Program funds for this transformative development, which will aid in the construction of the new police station. This will be followed by a private investment of approximately $120 million by Jefferson Apartment Group for the Pleasant Street redevelopment project.

“The opening of the police station is an exciting part of the revitalization of Malden’s downtown,” said Housing and Economic Development Secretary Jay Ash. “I look forward to seeing how this project and other MassWorks investments will continue to promote the development and growth of the city.”
Construction of the new police station is expected to be completed in the fall of 2016 in tandem with Jefferson Apartment Group’s plans to mobilize on the 200 Pleasant Street site to begin demolition.

Members of the Project Team include Flansburgh Architects; Hill International Inc., the project manager; and Commodore Builders, the construction manager. Members of the Building Committee for the project include Mayor Christenson, City Council President John Matheson, Ward Six Councillor Neil Kinnon, Ward Seven Councillor Neal Anderson, Police Chief Kevin Molis; Mayor’s Appointee Ron Hogan and Public Facilities Director Eric Rubin. The Advisory Committee members include Malden Redevelopment Authority Director Deborah Burke, Assistant City Solicitor Thomas Brennan, and Special Assistant to the Mayor Maria Luise.

City of Malden

mpd_groundbreaking1.jpg

I'm fine with building a baseball stadium in Malden, just not directly across from a T station. I get why the developer wants it there but it's not the highest and best use for the lot. Of course, you can say that about most lots around the Malden T stops, so why start now?

Malden Center has a pretty significant downtown area compared with a lot of other areas around stations, so I don't think that is quite fair. A nicely done stadium could be a nice attraction.

Wellington could have a development with a few mixed use buildings next to the station and along the river if the state built a large 1200 car garage ( the existing lot is at capacity) but as a development it would be somewhat isolated with room enough for just a few buildings along the river. And that is a mbta decision. With the cost of the garage it probably would be a wash from their perspective.

For a critical look, I'd look further towards Boston along that line between Sullivan Square and Bunker Hill that whole stretch is calling out for transportation oriented redevelopment.

Boston Globe said:
Melrose tops list of hottest ZIP codes
Real estate website rates oft-overlooked suburb nation’s hottest

By Katie Johnston Globe Staff August 13, 2015

So the next “it” place to live in Massachusetts is . . . Melrose?

Yes, Melrose, that overlooked little suburb with a quaint downtown, where the big event of the year is the annual Victorian Fair.

Melrose is officially hot, according to realtor.com, one of the largest real estate websites in the United States.

In its annual ranking of the nation’s 10 hottest ZIP codes, realtor.com on Thursday crowned Melrose number one, based on how fast houses sell and how often listings are viewed on its site.

“This is literally the most desirable spot in the country,” said Jonathan Smoke, the site’s chief economist. “That’s what the list tells us.”
View Story
Address: What is it like to live in Malden?

“Friends from Boston come here to eat. They’ll say, ‘I can’t believe I’m in Malden!’ I don’t know whether to feel offended or complimented.”

The honor provoked some good-natured condescension from Melrose’s neighbors.

“I consider it a stepping-stone to Wakefield,” sniffed Ronnie Puzon of Re/Max Trinity realty in Malden, who added that Melrose’s role in life is to serve as a way station to a better address: First you buy in Malden or Medford, then you move to Melrose, and ultimately, if you do well, you end up in Wakefield or Winchester.

Meanwhile, the folks in Arlington can be forgiven for feeling slighted. That town would have been number seven on the list, but realtor.com limited the top 10 rankings to just one community per region.

“There’s no way that Melrose is more attractive than Arlington,” joked Town Manager Adam Chapdelaine, who bragged that Arlington’s restaurant scene “blows away” Melrose’s.

Actually, realtor.com might be onto something: Giacomo’s, a North End favorite, is apparently planning a restaurant in Melrose. Still, it’s no Somerville, which boasts a lively bar and dining scene and a hip culture right out of an episode of “Portlandia.”

Luckily for Melrose, being hip wasn’t necessary to get onto realtor.com’s list.

The service ranked communities based on housing demand, which it noted is driven by the strength of the local economy, and “it factors” such as strong schools, access to public transportation, and proximity to shopping and restaurants.

All of which means Melrose is not easy to get into.

Last year, Yael Mazor-Garfinkle, 29, and her husband left Somerville for Melrose when they finally were able to buy a house after several years of being outbid by other young couples.

True, there isn’t much nightlife. “Things shut down pretty early,” Mazor-Garfinkle acknowledged. But the couple is enjoying the slower pace. “It’s really kind of idyllic,” she said.

Melrose’s housing stock is mixed but includes many graceful older homes on tree-lined streets. The median home price is $448,000, and the houses sell quickly: Properties are on the market for a median of 24 days, realtor.com says, 25 days less than those in Boston, the country’s 19th-hottest market. And the average Melrose listing on realtor.com gets 841 views per month, three times what listings in Boston receive.

It helps that Melrose has not been a historically hot market.

“You’re more likely to land high on our list if you’re up-and-coming than if you’re a place that everybody’s been wanting to live for the past 10 years,” Smoke said.

Case in point: the second-hottest ZIP code on the list, Worthington, Ohio.

Or number nine: Fargo, N.D.

But Melrose residents are fiercely proud of where they live and the strong sense of community, lively downtown, easy access to Boston, and walkable scale.

“I think Melrose is just as beautiful as extremely pricey Winchester,” said three-year resident Susan Samuelson. “If the schools improve even more than they are at, I think we are the next Winchester.”

Katie Johnston can be reached atkatie.johnston@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter@ktkjohnston.

Heh.
“I consider it a stepping-stone to Wakefield,” sniffed Ronnie Puzon of Re/Max Trinity realty in Malden, who added that Melrose’s role in life is to serve as a way station to a better address: First you buy in Malden or Medford, then you move to Melrose, and ultimately, if you do well, you end up in Wakefield or Winchester.

Wakefield? Seriously? I mean, I do like Wakefield, but putting it up there as the pinnacle of suburban living? Above Melrose? Give me a break.

Malden is the stepping stone to Wakefield...this article is stupid

I did enjoy growing up in Melrose and think it's an awesome place to live and raise a family, but I wouldn't call it the best city in the country. And of course someone from Malden out of all places would say Wakefield is better than Melrose. I think Wakefield has marginally better schools and lower taxes, but Melrose has the transit connections, curbs on pretty much all streets (sorry but I'm an engineer, I notice these things) and barely any vacancies in its downtown. Have you been to downtown Wakefield recently? It's like a ghost town. The housing stock of Melrose is also much much nicer with most houses being Victorians or Colonials built at the turn of the century. Wakefield was clearly developed later and lacks that charm. Lots of bungalows and capes.

Yeah, Melrose > Wakefield, but I do wonder if there may be a subtle bias among some people who might associate Melrose with "M" towns (Malden, Medford) and Wakefield with "W" towns (Winchester, etc).

That is absurd of course but humans aren't always the most rational of creatures.

Yeah, Melrose > Wakefield, but I do wonder if there may be a subtle bias among some people who might associate Melrose with "M" towns (Malden, Medford) and Wakefield with "W" towns (Winchester, etc).

That is absurd of course but humans aren't always the most rational of creatures.

My coworker always says I'm from Medford and when I correct him he says "oh yea it's one of the M towns whatever"

Ha, nah I don't think it's absurd at all. Make sense to me. The W-Trinity is so-goddamn wealthy, the towns are almost indistinguishable - I knew a lot of kids from 'out there' growing up, we just labeled them 'W'-kids - it didn't really matter which W it was. And there plenty more of those pithy expressions

W = wealthy, exclusive is absolutely an association I make. Unless it's Waltham or Woburn - sorry guys.

The quotes in the article are consistent with the way I hear a lot of people talk about where they live, comparing their community with other towns based on characteristics that frankly irk me. Melrose is old fashioned in all the right ways. It has a real downtown with a supermarket residents use, neighborhood elementary schools many kids still walk to, and 3 train stations across just 2 miles. It saddens me if someone living in a place like this has to rationalize why they don't live in Winchester.

This kind of thinking compares communities on 'niceness' and 'priciness', and dismisses the richness of communities with history, culture, diversity, and grit.

11896274_10153558920057836_2248227492298361723_o_zps5xb3ntiw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11892334_10153558920762836_5910681283761471670_o_zpscgvtabvt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11928760_10153558920482836_7791455061759189889_o_zpse3isz857.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11896553_10153558920052836_6338230920347960697_o_zpsecf7s1ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11226065_10153558920172836_5798902753782479401_o_zpsxoozqkhc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11885786_10153558920042836_7363165927107846694_o_zps5z0u9wzh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]