Manchester Infill & Small Developments

good thinking on the editorial/letter... those of us who want to see a better Manchester, but are otherwise involved should speak up more, including myself. I think I'll do it.

As far as the armory in Portland, I was actually thinking of the one that is part of the Regency Hotel downtown, which is similar to the older armory that is part of a hotel/convention center in downtown Manchester. I wasn't aware that the Expo had been an armory, but that seems pretty similar to the one in question in Manchester. The current armory is still much closer to downtown than the Expo in Portland and very prominent when entering from the north, though still on the far fringe of downtown.

Some better news than what is (presumably) being proposed at the Rockwell/460 Elm site (Market Basket) is what the city is seeking to get built just across the river. They're dubbing what is now a high school parking lot at Granite & Second Streets "Granite Landing" and the conceptual plans they have look like they'd make an excellent impression entering the city as well as extending some urban vibrancy to Granite Square. From the Economic Development website:

video of a conceptual building for the site
That would be a great addition. They also need to do something across the street from that.

I'm posting my draft letter-to-editor... I'd like to know if anyone thinks I should mention anything else. It's already at the 200 word limit for the UL, and there's a lot more I'd like to say, but I think it does the trick. I also know that they don't guarantee publishing out-of-state letters, so I wanted to add the introductory bit to give me some credibility. Please let me know what you think, and I think Patrick is right on--those of us (especially those living in the city) who want to see the Market Basket as part of a more urban development there should speak up now. Once this gets built, the site is going to be closed to redevelopment for decades.

I grew up partially in Manchester, and I remember watching the Verizon go up from my classroom at West High. Though I no longer live in the city, I still consider it home, and follow news now from south-of-the-border.

The idea of bringing a grocery store to downtown is excellent, and Market Basket is a fine choice. The notion of giving over the entire Rockwell site, however, seems short-sighted. For a decade that site has been the planned location of a transit station, commuter garage and mixed-use redevelopment, including a supermarket. The site long housed Union Station, and is ideally located near major downtown destinations. Even without a station, the site is crucial to the redevelopment of southern Elm Street, and the Gaslight and Warehouse districts.

My hope is that Market Basket will build a store at the corner of Elm and West Auburn Streets, with parking beneath and behind the store, reserving the remainder of the site for future redevelopment. The Verizon replaced a strip mall, and downtown does not need a replacement. While bringing a supermarket downtown is important for future growth, it has to be part of, not the entire redevelopment plan for the Rockwell site.

good start. I would recommend taking the south-of-the-border bit out if as you say it is true that they don't guarantee publishing out of state letters. Just say you are from Manchester. Do your parents or any relatives live there? Use their address. Also, when I write letters to the editor, I write the whole thing out then try to reword in more concise language so as to meet the word limit without losing any of my important points. I don't know if you have already done it this way or if you were writing with the word limit in mind, but if you find you haven't mentioned all you wanted to say, maybe try just writing off the top of your head and then editing afterward. Good thoughts, though, and I would also recommend sending a copy to the planning staff in Manchester as well as the planning Board. excellent points and strong argument.

Patrick, I changed the background wording a bit, but I think I'm just going to mail it--the website only states that they can't guarantee printing out-of-state email letters. I'm planning on sending slightly longer letters (not yet written--I started with the limit in mind) to the planning board, economic development office and the Hippo. I don't think they publish letters, but they're considerably more progressive and smarter about development/land use than the UL. I'm sure these ideas are nothing they haven't considered (they're all in numerous planning proposals, studies, etc), but I think if enough people let the City know that they are in favor of urban development here, we might be better off.

FrankLloydMike,

You should send a letter to the Hippo too. I really like your idea of putting the Market Basket right up against Elm St. I think setting it back in the current building will add nothing to that part of Elm in terms of pedestrian traffic or a downtown kind of atmosphere. The UnionMisLeader hates rail, but the good news is that it isn't dead yet.

I didn't know about the Granite Square project until now. How long has that been in the works? This would be a perfect addition to that side of the river.

Yeah, I'd love to see the supermarket anchoring the corner of Elm & West Auburn, and with the topography you could easily put a ton of parking beneath the store. A supermarket with a parking garage in the winter might just be enough to jump start further development there. There would be plenty of room left over for a transit center, parking and more redevelopment and the grocery store would serve current residents and future downtown residents. There's already a suburban scale supermarket on Valley Street; there shouldn't be one right downtown. My concern is that Gatsas might have a similar view on rail as the UL... I haven't heard anything, so I'm not sure. Still, the business community and SNHPC are solidly behind it.

I think the Granite Square proposal is very new--there was no information on the site as of a week ago, I don't think. The video is just a conceptual idea. In fact, there is no proposal but an RFP actually. I'm pretty hopefully, though, because there is no deadline, it's a rolling request, so my sense is that the city is basically going to hold out for a solid, urban-scale mixed-use development that will be both an inviting gateway and a boost to the Granite Square neighborhood. I also just realized that they're talking about both parking lots on either side of Second Street north of Granite Street, as well as the lot to the southeast of Second and Granite Streets. This will be great if it's done well--a transitional area from maybe lower height, though still still dense redevelopment in Granite Square to the denser, higher downtown area.

Patrick's right that the rest of the neighborhood will need to be built up to match this conceptual proposal. Until the late 1970s/early 1980s, Granite Square was a dense, vibrant West Side hub. There was a particularly beautiful four-story curved building called the Barr & Clapp Block or Crescent building where Stacie's Barber Shop is now.

For some reason the Manchester Housing & Redevelopment Authority's website still touts the sort of urban renewal projects that most redevelopment authorities are trying to forget:

Following a fire which destroyed the Crescent Building on the corner of Granite and Main Streets, a number of buildings in the immediate vicinity were removed to make way for the commercial and retail offices and stores that exist today. Across the street MHRA built the Reverend Raymond A. Burns O.S.B. Apartments.

The Burns high-rise, though it could definitely use some renewal of its own, gives the neighborhood some height, and hopefully the Granite Landing projects will lead to future redevelopment to reverse the old redevelopment in Granite Square. In addition to the dense neighborhoods around it, there are a few, older, lower-density buildings in the Square that I think are worth preserving including this old theatre that might make a great bar/restaurant right across from the Granite Landing site:

GraniteSq.jpg
Granite%20Square.JPG

Patrick, I changed the background wording a bit, but I think I'm just going to mail it--the website only states that they can't guarantee printing out-of-state email letters. I'm planning on sending slightly longer letters (not yet written--I started with the limit in mind) to the planning board, economic development office and the Hippo. I don't think they publish letters, but they're considerably more progressive and smarter about development/land use than the UL. I'm sure these ideas are nothing they haven't considered (they're all in numerous planning proposals, studies, etc), but I think if enough people let the City know that they are in favor of urban development here, we might be better off.

Don't they except email submissions?

They do, but for some reason it seems that they print all letters actually mailed, but may not print out-of-state email letters. I don't think anyone would accuse the Union Leader of being innovated, thus the need to print, stamp and mail a letter.

awesome sculpture. Portland has probably the crappiest new public art in the world. We have one piece that cost near $100,000 that looks like a tacky swing set, and another that cost $135,000 that just today in the news paper it was mentioned nearby merchants want it torn up and removed because it is so unsightly. Its supposed to be waves, but looks more like junk yard scrap metal.

I really like that sculpture too! I got to go down Elm last night and there are new restaurants and bars since the last time I was there. A new pizza place has taken the place of the old Merrimack restaurant and they did a great job renovating the building. the Hampshire Plaza landscaping looks great too. I like the push for more public art in the city. These little things changes are bringing a little bit more class to downtown.

I really like that sculpture too! I got to go down Elm last night and there are new restaurants and bars since the last time I was there. A new pizza place has taken the place of the old Merrimack restaurant and they did a great job renovating the building. the Hampshire Plaza landscaping looks great too. I like the push for more public art in the city. These little things changes are bringing a little bit more class to downtown.

Agreed.

From the Hippo:
http://www.hippopress.com/100805/CVR.html

In the heart of the city
A look at 10 years in downtowns ? and a plan for Manchester?s future

By Jeff Mucciarone jmucciarone@hippopress.com

Downtown was a very different place a decade ago, no matter where you look.

There was no Verizon Wireless Arena or MerchantsAuto.com Stadium in Manchester. The restaurant scene was hardly the draw in the Queen City it is today.

Nashua was coming off a previous decade in which Main Street saw substantial growth in retail and restaurants that extended into the early part of this decade.

In Concord, there was no Red River Theatres and no Capital Commons.

Today, diners can choose from a variety of upper-scale restaurants in Manchester and then catch a show at the Palace Theatre, which saw a revival in the last decade, or a concert or hockey game at the Verizon Wireless Arena or a ballgame at MerchantsAuto.com Stadium. Hanover Street has become a shopper?s destination just off Elm Street as well. Though maybe not as exciting, the city?s parking program has been renovated in dramatic fashion ? parkers can use an EZ Pass-like transmitter to park as opposed to popping quarters in a meter.

Even the geographic definition of downtown may be spreading in Manchester. With the Elliot at River?s Edge and and a planned Market Basket, south Elm Street is seeing development. In another 10 years, ?downtown? could mean an area from Valley Street (or south) through well north of Bridge Street and not just along Elm Street but on nearby streets as well. The brick apartments and condos on streets betwen Elm Street and Canal Street near City Hall are now considered part of the Historic District ? HiDi, as those in the know now call it. One of the people involved with developing that area, Kas-Bar Realty owner Greg Barrett, is now working on a plan to develop a block east of Elm Street into a new arts-focused district. If his plans come to fruition, another decade could see performers playing on an open air stage where Citizens Bank now has its drive-throughs and high end residential units overlooking a park that is home to outdoor art exhibits.

In Concord, patrons can enjoy a drink while they take in an independent movie at Red River Theatres. In Nashua, Jackson Falls Condominiums mark the major redevelopment in the downtown area. There?s potentially more on the way for Nashua, with the Broad Street Parkway ? two decades in the making ? slated for action soon.

One change that has been in and out of the works for some time is the extension of high-speed rail from Lowell, Mass., to Nashua, Manchester and Concord. That didn?t happen, though the decade did hear plenty of talk on the subject.

Historically, Manchester has been the business and financial center of New Hampshire and even northern New England. That hasn?t changed. Concord remains tied to the downtown traffic generated by the Statehouse. And Nashua is still probably most regarded for its shopping and dining scene.

The significance of a healthy downtown isn?t lost on community leaders.

?The downtown is the heartbeat of the community,? said Robin Comstock, president and CEO of the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce. ?It would die without a healthy, vital downtown.?

About 15 or 20 years ago, Sy Mahfuz, who owns Persian Rug Galleries in Nashua, gave a talk to downtown business owners. He told them business owners went home each night and appreciated their nice neighborhoods and homes. They noticed when lawns needed to be mowed, shrubs needed to be trimmed and when homes needed a coat of paint. Those same business owners would turn a blind eye to their downtown neighborhood. To remain successful, he told business owners they needed to treat downtown like their neighborhood, to keep it ?looking beautiful, bright and cheerful. Then we?ll always have the best downtown going. This is my neighborhood and I want to see it taken care of,? he said.

Queen City
Big changes occurred in all three major cities, but the most dramatic changes happened in the Queen City.

?Regardless of the past, we think it?s really important to acknowledge the downtown as a vital, dynamic, beautiful, safe, thriving community, with an incredible urban central business district,? Comstock said. ?We are incredible. We?re not anymore becoming incredible or having the potential to be incredible. I think that?s the fundamental difference.?

The downtown now is not just the central business district, it?s also a district with dining, shopping and entertainment, though business owners downtown would like to continue to see more retail options, officials say.

?Standing in the middle of Elm Street, you?re standing in the heart of a beautiful, safe, vital, small, urban center community,? Comstock said. ?Ten years ago, you were standing in a depressed, discouraged and defeated community.?

The formation of the central business district, when the leaders in the private sector came together as the core of the city, was integral to Elm Street?s becoming a destination.

?Business leaders rose to the occasion,? Comstock said.

Those leaders joined together and decided to fund, through a central business district tax, a group, Intown Manchester, to improve and beautify downtown to help retain businesses and draw in new ones.

?That collided with a new attention to the downtown, a new attention to the importance of the quality and character of the downtown community, and the community?s ability to sustain and obtain employers who provide good jobs and disposable income,? Comstock said.

?...Simply drive along Elm Street, and take a look at the number of sidewalk caf?s dotting the downtown,? said Stephanie Lewry, executive director of Intown Manchester. ?We have a sense of community, now. Ten years ago restaurants were few and outdoor seating was rare. Now we have many high-quality restaurants and most offer outdoor seating....?

Comstock mentioned there has been a new attention to public schools as well. There has also been a rise in higher education in and near downtown, such as the New Hampshire Institute of Art and the University of New Hampshire at Manchester. That?s helped give the downtown a younger, more vibrant feel.

?There?s a different mix of people you?ll see on the street today,? said Jay Minkarah, Manchester?s economic development director.

In the last decade, city leaders in Manchester made a conscious decision to turn downtown Manchester into a destination as part of an overall economic development strategy. That?s why the city invested in the Verizon Wireless Arena and the baseball stadium, allowing the city to build around professional sports teams. The arena, which is home to the Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, was purposely built without its own parking in hopes of encouraging people to simply park downtown and do some shopping or eating on the way to the arena. Doing it that way helped spur the relatively recent growth in restaurants and shops in the downtown area, Minkarah said.

?That strategy was successful,? Minkarah said, adding the arena specifically was something the city invested in with the expressed purpose of creating downtown, as a whole, as a destination.

The transformation took time. The last couple years have seen marked growth, particularly in the restaurant sector downtown. A booming restaurant scene now includes Z Food and Drink, Mint Bistro, Ignite Bar and Grill, XO on Elm, Republic and Firefly American Bistro & Bar, all of which have arrived in the last few years, and Portland Pie Company and Wings Your Way, spots that opened in the last few months, as well as restaurants like Cotton and Richard?s Bistro, which have been around for 10 and 15 years respectively.

?Dining is interesting in every community,? Comstock said. ?It?s an important piece of the revitalization efforts.?

It wasn?t just the arena that made the transformation possible. The Palace Theatre was at the point of potentially closing a decade ago. Since then, it?s been rejuvenated as an entertainment outlet in the downtown. Though the condos planned for behind the baseball stadium have yet to be built, Minkarah said they eventually will be and he expected the overall development, which includes the Hilton Garden Inn, to be successful both by itself and in continuing to draw people to downtown.

?It really changed dramatically,? Minkarah said, adding that 10 years ago Elm Street was a business district that essentially shut down on nights and weekends. That?s no more.

The changes to the downtown haven?t happened without controversy. While most would agree the arena created the desired effect downtown, many weren?t happy and still aren?t happy about how it was done, specifically that substantial public funds were used to make it happen. The city contributed about $50 million to the Verizon Wireless Arena in the form of 30-year city bonds. The city contributed $24.3 million to the baseball stadium, now home to the Fisher Cats, the Double-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. Manchester relies on state revenue sharing from the rooms and meals tax to make its annual bond payments on the stadium.

Developers have played a big role in rehabbing many of the city?s historic structures ? the Chase Block and the Bond, Dunlap, and McQuaid buildings. Many of those buildings were unused or underused. Today, those buildings are landmarks and are actively used. Comstock said the Chase building was one of the premier revitalizations in the state that offers upscale office, upscale living and retail space. Margaritas sits in the building?s first floor today. In the push to make Manchester a 24-hour downtown, the apartments at the corner of Bridge and Elm streets went up. Officials say the downtown could use plenty more residential space as the demand continues to grow.

Some of the changes in Manchester that have had effects downtown haven?t happened exactly in downtown. Minkarah said the reconstruction of the Granite Street bridge is key both logistically in terms of accessing downtown and as much so aesthetically. Now, when drivers exit Interstate 293, they?re met with stylish and inviting architecture.

?The ramps [off I-293], from both directions, and the magnificent views from the highway, make a dramatic first impression to visitors entering the city,? Lewry said.

Drivers are also met with a nearly completely rehabbed Pandora Mill, which was the last building in the Millyard to be renovated. Minkarah said it?s essential that people see these improvements and take pride in them as they enter downtown.

?[Pandora Mill] was a symbol of blight and decay.? Minkarah said. ?Now it?s a sign of innovation and vitality. That?s huge.?

The blossoming of the Millyard as a high-tech hub was important in drawing more workers to Manchester and subsequently downtown for their entertainment needs after hours.

The changes are dramatic but some aren?t so positive for the Queen City. The downtown lost two longstanding jewelry stores as well as the famed Merrimack Restaurant.

?Some institutions have come and gone,? Minkarah said.

Elm Street still suffers from congestion issues, as well as frequent complaints about parking. The new parking shuttle, which circulates people throughout downtown, would hopefully address some of those issues, Minkarah said.

Some aren?t all that pleased with the brick sidewalks downtown. Some see them as hazards for walking, particularly for the elderly, and others have complained about maintenance issues with the sidewalks. Minkarah also said, though he didn?t have statistics, that homeless people are as visible as they?ve ever been downtown, if not more so. Though it remains a major issue, crime has dissipated some.

The Gate City
In the mid-1990s, Michael Buckley led a charge of new upscale restaurants that ended up calling downtown Nashua home. He set up shop with Michael Timothy?s on Main Street and later opened Surf across the street. [Buckley also opened Buckley?s Great Steaks in Merrimack.] Other such restaurants, like Fody?s and Saffron Bistro, have followed suit.

?The restaurants have brought an incredible amount of interest and traffic to downtown,? Mahfuz said.

But growth downtown has slowed some in the last five years or so. Nashua has made headlines for the wrong reasons in recent years as some downtown institutions, such as Jordan?s Luggage and Cameraland, have closed. Mahfuz blamed the poor economy for some of downtown?s troubles but struck an optimistic note. Downtown Nashua has seen plenty of new businesses take a chance. Some have worked so far, others didn?t last, but the willingness to start up on Main Street proves the downtown remains vital, Mahfuz said, adding downtown?s success is vital to the success of Nashua overall.

The Broad Street Parkway ? long talked about as potentially being a major catalyst for downtown growth ? hasn?t happened. The project, as originally designed, would have provided direct access to downtown, in the form of a highway off-ramp, from the Everett Turnpike. The parkway would connect Exit 6 off the Everett Turnpike directly with downtown, which could provide access to the millyard for future development. Along with creating a cross-city roadway, the project would bypass congested areas and would establish a new bridge over the Nashua River. The project has been controversial as some residents aren?t pleased with the construction impact, while others are concerned the cost is too great and the benefits too little. Officials now say the project will happen, but it?s hard to know how much of an impact it would have had, had it been constructed sooner.

?We can complain about the things we don?t have that we all want, but what are we doing with what we have available now?? Mahfuz asked. ?We?re not going to let it interfere with the growth or success of our business because it is or isn?t here.?

Practically speaking, Mahfuz, who sits on the committee for the parkway, said the roadway was designed to help alleviate traffic particularly in robust times. He wants the project to happen, but times haven?t been robust in recent years, he said.

?If things are as bad as we say there are, is it as practical today as the project was 10 or 15 years ago?? Mahfuz said. ?I think we can use it as an excuse, but it?s not a reason.?

Mahfuz said the sidewalks downtown need to be redone, as they can be a safety issue. Also, as in any urban setting, people often complain about parking, though Mahfuz said that?s not as big an issue as people make it out to be. He did say it?s important for business owners and their employees to use parking garages rather than use up spaces in front of their business. An additional police presence downtown would only serve to enhance the city?s image, particularly after hours.

With the downtown?s resurgence in the mid-1990s, many businesses invested in their facades and the overall look of their business. Mahfuz said it?s getting to be time to reinvest in that area.

The Jackson Falls project has been and will be a key piece of the downtown puzzle. The timing ended up working against it ? the economy collapsed as owners were trying to sell off units.

?I think those sorts of things will be incredibly important to downtown long-term,? Mahfuz said.

A major project off Franklin Street also didn?t happen. It would have featured lofts and affordable housing, but it ran into the economy as well.

?I think when I look at projects that have helped Main Street, there?s not much that?s happened because people have been so concerned about their pocketbooks and surviving,? Mahfuz said.

Again, Mahfuz took a positive tone when talking about the city?s leaders. He said the mayor and aldermen are doing the long-term planning necessary to maintain downtown as the ?heart of Nashua.?

The capital city
Downtown Concord has always been a destination for retail and for government. Concord?s downtown has been marked by eclectic shops, such as the Concord Cooperative Market, Butter?s Fine Food, art galleries and Real Green Goods.

?There are lot of independently owned boutique-type shops that make it attractive,? said Tim Sink, president of the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce. Sink said the city has made a number of additional improvements during the past 10 years to make it even more of a visitor destination.

The city has also filled its business gaps. A 2004 study called for several different types of businesses, among them a health and beauty store, a butcher shop and a gourmet food store. The city got Lotions and Potions, Butter?s and Concord Beef and Seafood.

The Capitol Center of the Arts has been a catalyst for cultural offerings in downtown Concord, such as Red River Theatres, which presents a very different product than viewers get at mainstream theaters, Sink said.

?It?s more than just going to the movies,? Sink said, noting that patrons can sip a glass of wine while they watch a film. Often there are lectures with filmmakers who come to discuss their work.

Once change that officials hope will have a big impact was the removal of the overnight parking ban for downtown. The overnight parking ban in Concord had long been a stumbling block for prospective developers looking to create residences. Downtown officials are hoping the ban?s removal, about three years ago, helps spur developers to redevelop the city?s upper-floor space. The city has hosted tours of upper-floor housing in the past couple years, to show the potential that exists upstairs.

During the last decade, Sink said, the downtown has continued to expand south of Pleasant Street, which is marked by Red River Theatres and Capital Commons, a brand new office building with restaurant space as well.

?That cleaned things up quite a bit and created more activity south of Pleasant Street,? Sink said.

Downtown Concord has also seen more restaurants coming in, which has helped expand the city?s nightlife. Eateries have opened their doors to outside dining as well.

Sink has noticed an increase in ethnic diversity in the last 10 years. Concord has seen increases in its refugee population and, in turn, different ethnic groups are beginning to become intertwined in the fabric of the community. That?s showing up in the types of businesses downtown, some of which have an ethnic focus.

?It?s added a kind of new flavor,? Sink said.

Looking ahead
For Concord, the next decade could include major changes. Main Street Concord and Concord 2020 are facilitating an effort to re-think Main Street for a plan that could entail wider sidewalks, more trees and shrubs, lane reconfigurations and even heated sidewalks. The plan could include more flexible space, such as using the same space for parking in colder months and for outdoor dining in warmer times.

?It is a good street and a strong downtown,? said Jennifer Kretovic, executive director of Concord 2020, earlier this year. ?What we need to do is make it a great street.?

Looking ahead, the entire block across the street from Red River is being redeveloped as a five-story mixed-use building that will feature the League of New Hampshire Craftsman?s gallery on the main level. The building will also house 300 employees of Concord Hospital, which remains one of the city?s largest employers.

Sink said the city continues to make stimulating creative enterprise a priority. The Chamber has a standing committee with one of its prime objectives to create incubator space to attract creative enterprises.

Also in an effort to spur growth and redevelopment downtown, Concord has a tax credit program that is about two years old that allows companies or developers to forsake some tax payments in the short term, to allow them to renovate space for the long term.

Comstock, seeing a similarly bright future in Manchester, said what?s happened in the last decade in Manchester has provided the staging ground for the future.

?I think a lot?s going to happen in the next 10 years,? Comstock said.

Manchester recently passed an ?existing-building code,? which provides developers with more leeway in working on older and historic structures. Officials hope that will make it easier, in terms of finances, time and design, for developers to renovate older space downtown. Minkarah expects the city to continue to expand on a network of pedestrian and bicycle trails to make the city more accessible.

Intown Manchester is looking to focus on the south Elm Street area in coming years. It?s an area that is seeing the Elliot at River?s Edge constructed where the Jac-Pac Meat Packing facility once stood. There is a Market Basket grocery store in the works for the area as well, Lewry said.

?I just think it?s really important that the caretakers and advocates continue to work together ... continue to anchor around the primary assets, our education systems, arts and culture, fine dining, and realize our fullest potential in the most creative way possible,? Comstock said.

While Nashua hasn?t seen a substantial amount of development in its downtown during the last 10 years, Mahfuz said he thinks the downtown is well-positioned to be particularly successful in the coming decade. The Broad Street Parkway is coming down the pike and there are plenty of opportunities for redevelopment. Mahfuz said he?s expecting big things for Nashua as he looks ahead.

Also from the Hippo:
http://www.hippopress.com/100805/CVR.html

From bank drive-through to outdoor concert venue?
The newest plan for Manchester?s downtown is a performing arts venue

In Manchester, the next big change for downtown could be the creation of an arts block.

Greg Barrett, owner of Kas-Bar Realty, has a vision for Manchester Street and the area between Manchester Street and Hanover Street from Elm Street to Chestnut Street. Manchester Street has long been a somewhat blighted section of the downtown, but Barrett doesn?t see why the future has to be that way. He sees the area becoming a cultural enterprise district and he?s moving at full speed ahead.

?Greg Barrett has a great vision for using the arts as a further catalyst for economic development,? said Stephanie Lewry, executive director of Intown Manchester. ?Cultural events and experiences could play a much greater role in the economic expansion of downtown. Perhaps his proposal will be the next transformative event in our urban redevelopment.?

Barrett wants to see the buildings on Manchester Street renovated to include upscale housing in the upper floors, along with new facades and general aesthetic work. He wants to tie Manchester and Hanover streets together with consistent themes and architecture. He?s hoping to build on Hanover Street?s momentum. His vision includes space to present artwork on the street. He said there?s also the potential for upscale townhouses to be constructed along Chestnut Street facing into the park. The project would include an archway on Elm Street and new streetlights and sidewalks.

?Now we have the opportunity to take it to another level,? Barrett said.

In the space between Manchester Street and Londonderry Lane, Barrett is planning for an outdoor performing arts center, a sort of arts park, complete with space to perform and general greenery. It could also be a place for people to congregate outside, while they take a peek at artwork.

Some complain that downtown Manchester is too linear. This type of project would expand the downtown beyond just Elm Street. It would also increase the downtown housing stock; Barrett said downtown living space is currently at capacity.

Some things need to happen to make Barrett?s vision a reality. For one, the plan would require the various nonprofit organizations that are housed on Manchester Street to move.

Barrett owns two of the buildings on Manchester Street. He has rehabbed one of the buildings and is slated to do the same to the second building. He is looking to entice developers to do more of the same with the other buildings, provided the nonprofit organizations, among them Serenity Place, moves. There are eight properties on Manchester Street in question. Barrett said it?s possible the city, which recently bought the old Oddfellows Hall on Lake Avenue, could use that building to house at least some of the organizations.

If the nonprofits do move and developers catch on ? Barrett has already been in talks with some developers ? he?ll look to connect with either Citizens Bank or some other private entity to sponsor creation of the arts park. The property between the two streets was formerly owned by Citizens Bank. The performing arts park would involve restructuring and moving Citizens Bank?s drive-thru system. He said creating the park wouldn?t actually alter the space all that much from what it is today.

Barrett has met with various city leaders and officials, including Mayor Ted Gatsas, Lewry, leaders at the Palace Theatre, the city?s economic development office and Citizens Bank officials.

If the nonprofits do move, Barrett said, work could begin on one of his Manchester Street buildings in April. If all goes well, he expects the entire project to be completed by May 2012.
? Jeff Mucciarone

That arts park and Manchester Street rehab sounds great! It's not mentioned, but the Police Station, which is set to move, is right at the end of that block, too, so I think you could see that site being redeveloped as more housing or something in the future because of this. The collection of buildings on Manchester Street is a bit unusual for downtown, too--none of them really stand out the way the Opera House block does on Hanover, but the block is more intact than most, and if they're rehabbed they'd be really beautiful.

It is strange how that part of Hanover Street is probably the nicest block downtown and the same stretch of Manchester is probably the saddest. I am a little weary of pushing out poor, minority and vulnerable populations, but I also get the impression that aside from the homeless community, this block might not be that well-situated to serve them. I know developers would probably like to see this brushed as far away as possible, but I wonder if the police station could at least be temporarily re-purposed as a home to the non-profits on the Manchester block. I'd rather not see them in the Oddfellows Hall in the Hollow, which I think is one of the spots best situated to become a neighborhood center in the future.

Still, the idea of improving Manchester Street is excellent, and that it would stitch together a whole district with Hanover would really help alleviate some of the linear quality to downtown mentioned in the article. There are plenty of nice pockets downtown, but it has a tendency to feel concentrated on Elm Street--improving the connection to the Millyard and a project like this would really change that.

I'd also really love to see some nice infill projects in the three vacant lots/parking lots on the Manchester Street block now. Given that even when the buildings are rehabbed, they'll be a bit rougher and less embellished than Hanover Street, I think there's an opportunity for some more adventurous designs than typically found in Manchester (though that's starting to change). Something along the addition/renovation of the Stan's Masury building or this project in Portland would be great in the voids on that block.

The Manchester Street rehab is one of the most exciting plans for Manchester I've heard in awhile, and I think it says something about the state of the city that this wouldn't really be a landmark project. Most of the big projects so far have been landmarks like the Verizon, Millyard or even Elm Street. Less visible projects do just as much for the city, but show that it's arrived in a way.

All good points. exciting ideas, too. Just a quick aside about Portland which is sort of off topic--you should have seen the building that infill condo project replaced. absolutely hideous. two stories and rundown. But, that was at the height of the real estate bubble, too, so we are lucky it took off before things crashed. It has done a lot for that area.

First post here ever. But I have been looking into starting a retail store in Manchester. I live just south of Manchester in NH. I have talked to the development office in Manch and know a bit about what is going on and thought I would share.

Well there is some meeting on August 17th that is open to the public that talks about South Elm St. This is where I hope to open my store.

The city got $1 million approved to redesign some of the sidewalks on South Elm St., but the estimated cost was $5 million.

The Elliot as most know is being built currently, will connect to gas St.

Hopefully will bring a bit of business down there. Also along with the Market Basket. But the market basket will not provide the jobs like the Elliot will.

The market basket will be lower than the sidewalk but have a nice tower that goes with stairs form the st. level to a walkway to the store. They will use the same building there now but will renovate it and I think they plan to spice up the sidewalks along there as well with the new MB. They hope to have it done in January of 2011.

Rd, access will be form left and right side but not Elm st. Te MB is supposed to promote people who live in East Manch. to walk and shop from the store.

I have been looking at 379 Elm St. for storefront. The owner who supposedly owns that nice newly renovated building on Hanover St. and did the renovations has plans for 379 elm but nothing soon due to it just not being the best time. I think he had two plans, either an office building or just a newer facade on the current building and keep the "downtown" brick building look.

The city plans to focus on the South Elm St. area moving forward.

I hope to get my store in there shortly (higher end Aquarium retail store) and hope this area does become nicer.

That place in the parking lot along granite St before the bridge is awesome plan, but doubt it will get done any time soon.

The thing is the city is pushing for it looking nicer and all, but the time is wrong, market is bad and no one wants to put money into making places look nicer now when no one will need the space in this economy.

So, has nothing to do with this post, but what is this site about? I signed up basically just to write this all, but is it about Boston? I already found a few posts on Manchester. I love Manchester. As much as Boston is sick, Manchester is cool cuz its in NH. I love NE though. But some of the plans for Manchester look sick and look like they will have significant impact. I hope to eventually live in Manchester as to live close to my store if things work out. I have never been a city liver, but appreciate the architect, and the way a city works. And cities have something different, but Manch being basically a small city is kinda cool. Still in NH not in the middle of it all, without having nothing to do. Still got a cool skyline at night, but could be better.

First post here ever. But I have been looking into starting a retail store in Manchester. I live just south of Manchester in NH. I have talked to the development office in Manch and know a bit about what is going on and thought I would share.

Well there is some meeting on August 17th that is open to the public that talks about South Elm St. This is where I hope to open my store.

The city got $1 million approved to redesign some of the sidewalks on South Elm St., but the estimated cost was $5 million.

The Elliot as most know is being built currently, will connect to gas St.

Hopefully will bring a bit of business down there. Also along with the Market Basket. But the market basket will not provide the jobs like the Elliot will.

The market basket will be lower than the sidewalk but have a nice tower that goes with stairs form the st. level to a walkway to the store. They will use the same building there now but will renovate it and I think they plan to spice up the sidewalks along there as well with the new MB. They hope to have it done in January of 2011.

Rd, access will be form left and right side but not Elm st. Te MB is supposed to promote people who live in East Manch. to walk and shop from the store.

I have been looking at 379 Elm St. for storefront. The owner who supposedly owns that nice newly renovated building on Hanover St. and did the renovations has plans for 379 elm but nothing soon due to it just not being the best time. I think he had two plans, either an office building or just a newer facade on the current building and keep the "downtown" brick building look.

The city plans to focus on the South Elm St. area moving forward.

I hope to get my store in there shortly (higher end Aquarium retail store) and hope this area does become nicer.

That place in the parking lot along granite St before the bridge is awesome plan, but doubt it will get done any time soon.

The thing is the city is pushing for it looking nicer and all, but the time is wrong, market is bad and no one wants to put money into making places look nicer now when no one will need the space in this economy.

So, has nothing to do with this post, but what is this site about? I signed up basically just to write this all, but is it about Boston? I already found a few posts on Manchester. I love Manchester. As much as Boston is sick, Manchester is cool cuz its in NH. I love NE though. But some of the plans for Manchester look sick and look like they will have significant impact. I hope to eventually live in Manchester as to live close to my store if things work out. I have never been a city liver, but appreciate the architect, and the way a city works. And cities have something different, but Manch being basically a small city is kinda cool. Still in NH not in the middle of it all, without having nothing to do. Still got a cool skyline at night, but could be better.
Welcome and I hope you new store goes well. I will definitely check it out man. This site was originally for just Boston stuff but eventually more people from around new england started visiting the site to it expanded for the rest of new england. So this is pretty much the online urban forum new england.

Back