Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

rather than the parking ramp entrance that used to run parallel to Boylston, which is what I believe you're talking about.

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of.

Then again, I myself have not been to Boston (besides the Dave Matthews concert, but I just drove in, went, and left because I was with my girl in a wheelchair) in a few months

Walking by earlier this morning, we've got steel beams poking up out of the ground, plus some nifty construction structures. They've probably gone up within the last week or so- I don't recall exactly when I last walked by, but I don't remember seeing these before. Sorry I didn't have my camera on me, although it was raining anyways. I should be able to get some pics in the next few days or so, but not until after Wednesday, which is when I defend my masters thesis. (Wish me luck!)

Good luck!

Steel is up to the second floor in many spots on the western half of the site, but the area east of Fairfield St has none - they're just finishing up pouring the foundation wall.

And Quadratdackel, a note for when you go taking pictures -- go after 5 pm, because then you'll be able to walk up the service ramp by the mall entrance and take pictures through the viewing windows in the plywood. During construction hours there are cops blocking it off from peds due to safety precautions while the cranes are in use.

Hi bostonman. Thanks for sharing your pics. I think you have an extra "http//" in your link that you should edit out so people can find it more easily.

Here are a few more pictures of the Mandarin Oriental from this afternoon:

MandarinOriental6.jpg

This view of the Avalon apartment buildings won't be around much longer now that the steel has begun to go up.
MandarinOriental5.jpg

FastLane was right. For some bizarre reason, the url is really messed up and I keep getting a message saying that the website is not available. I'll post them here when I have time to save you guys the trouble. I'll post them tonight. Go to www.freewebs.com/bostontr/ if you do not want to wait.

Here are the pics of the Mandarin Oriental:

IMGP0216.jpg

IMGP0215.jpg

IMGP0213.jpg

IMGP0212.jpg

IMGP0211.jpg

IMGP0210.jpg

IMGP0209.jpg

IMGP0207.jpg

IMGP0206.jpg

IMGP0205.jpg

IMGP0202.jpg

Sorry they are late, things got kinda crazy last night and I didn't have time to post them.

I got some pics from the Mandarin Oriental the other day. Structure has definitely reached the second and maybe third floor in a couple places. I have pics at bostonspot.co.nr. I will definitely post them here tomorrow.

A lot of the other Mandarin Orientals around the world aren't that interesting, but the one in Hyde Park, London sure is:

mandarin_oriental_hyde_park_hotel.jpg

An uninteresting example is Miami:
Mandarin%20Oriental2%20016.jpg

my sister lived behind the Mandarin in Miami, and I have to say, it looks vastly better from afar.

Here are the pics I promised last night. They are from the seventeenth:

IMGP0312.jpg

IMGP0315.jpg

IMGP0316.jpg

IMGP0317.jpg

IMGP0318.jpg

IMGP0321.jpg

IMGP0324.jpg

IMGP0323.jpg

IMGP0326.jpg

There you go. I have more pics of other construction sites on my site, in case you wanted to see them.

Is the Mandarin going to be dressed in the tacky brick as shown in the mockup? The website's renderings show only elegant blocks of limestone and granite. Did they pull a Commonwealth Hotel and switch to the cheaper material?

The second picture from the bottom in Bostonman's most recent post shows the ramp that kz was asking about upthread ...
[/quote]

Right. I guess they're just effectively extending the tunnel out, and actually now that I went back and looked at the site plan posted on the first page, you can see that it was to remain there all along. Either way I'm excited to see steel decking already up to the second floor. But it's curious that not a single piece of steel has been erected west of the eastern streetwall to Fairfield St (I hope that makes sense). I'm not sure what will be going in the little eastern third portion of the building, but it obviously is going to be completed much earlier than the bigger part.

And one last thing I've noticed, the sidewalks are not going to be very wide at all, perhaps no more than 12 ft, which doesn't make too much sense to me for this stretch. Although we're not exactly at ped-lock, you would assume that 26' wide (10' public ROW, 16' typical Back Bay setback requirement) sidewalks would be requisite in the area, given the heavy loads at nearly all times of day around there.

^ Note that the steel decking has finally reached ground level on the eastern half of the site. I wonder what the rationale is behind that..

Back