Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

gravedigger4444 said:
Buildings like this (10 or so stories and are long) really add/make for great street wall.
Yup, and the Apple Store should have been that height too.

Nice that Boylston street is getting completed toward its ultimate potential as a Parisisan boulevard. (Though I confess I might miss that eruption of Modernist [non-]space that stretch of the street's south side represented for so long.)

Two more floors to go on the western portion, four on the eastern:

img0921tt4.jpg

My god, look at those shadows in the last picture.

Seriously though, should have been a few more stories higher allowing more of a setback from the street.

bosma said:
My god, look at those shadows in the last picture.

Seriously though, should have been a few more stories higher allowing more of a setback from the street.

Those shadows do kind of suck.

I think this calls for selective demolition of buildings, especially in the over-dense Financial District, so that the people can photo-synthesise properly,

justin

Funny

LOL Justin that was a hilarious comment, kudos! :lol: - JS38

Walk around Beacon Hill during that time of day and tell me if you see any shadows.

I think the camera exaggerated the darkness of the shadows in this picture. Obviously it was balanced to the brightness of the white curtain on the Mandarin Oriental building. I have never seen very dark shadows on Boylston like that.

Correct. The sun was shining at full force at that moment and the camera balanced the picture out around that bright white curtain. The shadows there now with Mandarin reaching full height are hardly any worse than they were before.. the Pru plus those 3 residential towers have been casting shadows over a similar area for 40 years now.

The western third is nearly topped out

And on the other side of the Pru, the last of the four original retail wings is being reconstructed to bring us a P.F. Chang's by summertime

...too bad that it looks like they are doing nothing to make the former Marche space come out to the street and form a proper street wall. But if they put outdoor tables out there, it could still be a slight improvement..... in summer anyways.

These are from Wednesday

Steel has topped out on the western part of the building

And studs have been installed up to the 6th floor

Back