Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

i initially wondered about that and i suppose you're entirely correct. kinda hokey, if so, but - hey, tastes differ.

Looking at the interiors I think the word ‘hokey’ written on a cocktail napkin was the entire design brief for this project.

i initially wondered about that and i suppose you're entirely correct. kinda hokey, if so, but - hey, tastes differ.
It has to be commissioned, that’s too complex and in way too prominent a spot to be otherwise. Which then does leave me scratching my head, because it’s not that good for a commissioned piece.

But the tower itself is great, and I like the colorful checkered pattern even more than before now that we’re in the gray-skies-everyday-until-March phase.

It has to be commissioned, that’s too complex and in way too prominent a spot to be otherwise. Which then does leave me scratching my head, because it’s not that good for a commissioned piece.
Shawn your correct. Today I went back to get a closer look see and take a few photos.

IMG_8265 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8266 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8267 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Not sure who commissioned it, the hotel or the entertainment venue across the alley, but it definetly is professional.

Good pics BeeLine and now that I have a better view, it looks better than I thought initially.

Looking at the interiors I think the word ‘hokey’ written on a cocktail napkin was the entire design brief for this project.

Marriott's been cranking these Moxys out so [relatively] rapidly, is my understanding, that I would suggest Insta-hokey... may be even PreFab-hokey?

Every time somebody tries to compare Boston to New York, I cringe before reading what is next. Here goes: this is exactly the type of thing you find all around Times Square. The scale is way different, but "hip" places like this are the same in both locations; cheap on a level that can only be achieved when nobody who stays there will ever do so again, but that the whole idea of "being there" was worth the price.

Looking at the building from the common and imagining what this and the upcoming res building on Tremont mean for the city, I am struck by the same thought as I have been many times recently. Among the things that I love most about cities is the ability to get lost in them. For me, sometimes that can be as simple as being on High St. downtown and asking myself to point directly west. What this building does, with a huge assist from the res tower, is to help create a place that seems so completely in the middle of things that it doesn't matter which direction you go. That sense of being lost even when you know exactly where you are.

Incidentally, I have a pretty fantastic view of the city from the south, close in, and that pattern on the south side of the building does a great job blending in with the taller buildings behind it while at the same time producing a distinct look if you are paying attention.

the upcoming res building on Tremont mean for the city

Surely you don't mean the spectacularly ill-fated 172 Tremont St. uber-Eurotrash proposal? That went down in flames years ago and Emerson has since converted the building to a student center.

Otherwise, there ain't no residential tower planned anywhere along Tremont St., at least from where it starts all the way to the I-90 overpass. (Can't speak for the South End.)

Surely you don't mean the spectacularly ill-fated 172 Tremont St. uber-Eurotrash proposal? That went down in flames years ago and Emerson has since converted the building to a student center.

Otherwise, there ain't no residential tower planned anywhere along Tremont St., at least from where it starts all the way to the I-90 overpass. (Can't speak for the South End.)

I like these photos,It’s like playing Where’s Moxy(Waldo)

66B00791-AAD1-46CC-B70D-B357D5F97B0A.jpeg
EC7F0F80-236D-4573-886A-24CB24353D15.jpeg

Back