Martin's Park | Children's Wharf | Fort Point

We complain about the Seaport a lot - or at least I do - but when my girl and I were walking past this a few weeks ago after leaving Harpoon Oktoberfest, we were amazed at the working being done and what it's going to look like when completed. It's hard to be cynical about this particular project.

Beeline, I believe you're right. I wondered why those manholes were so much above grade, and the answer is the park's elevation will be raised to the level of the top of the manhole. The result is to create a berm.

potomac-park-levee%20%283%29.jpeg

^^^^This a new levee on 17th St in Washington, about three blocks south of the White House. The strip across the road marks the location of a barrier that can be raised to complete the levee. Look for something similar across Seaport Boulevard at some point.

Why protect the white house from flooding if climate change is just a Chinese hoax?

I believe those concrete pours are just benches, not for flood control. They don't stretch the entire length of the park.

This has moved along glacially slow.

From what I saw they have no more than half a dozen workers on site.
Still it should be done by the it's needed next year.

Winter really slowed down this project, the ground was too cold. It sat dormant for months.

I don't understand how they can do site work at almost every major new development in Boston, but not here? They broke ground behind PWC in the dead of winter and have not been slowed down.

It was a very mind winter with little snow. This project is approaching 2 years...for a park. I know its a union job but come on!

I'm guessing that there's more of a financial incentive in those other projects to complete under a certain schedule. This is just a park. Who knows.

I can say stuff here I can't otherwise b/c you all love me. I wouldn't want to be too critical about this project for obvious reasons but man, when you see it in person you'll think, "What kind of park is this?" The huge (wo)man-made hill, the sailboat, the endless circular walkways. It seems .. over-engineered, to me.

Remember a few years back when someone made a video comparing Microsoft packaging and Apple packaging? This park is the Microsoft packaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

I can say stuff here I can't otherwise b/c you all love me. I wouldn't want to be too critical about this project for obvious reasons but man, when you see it in person you'll think, "What kind of park is this?" The huge (wo)man-made hill, the sailboat, the endless circular walkways. It seems .. over-engineered, to me.

Remember a few years back when someone made a video comparing Microsoft packaging and Apple packaging? This park is the Microsoft packaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

I’m more optimistic and I’d say wait until it’s done. At least we could say that it is not cookie-cutter, which is a win here.

I’m more optimistic and I’d say wait until it’s done. At least we could say that it is not cookie-cutter, which is a win here.

My concern is that this type of over-designed space never gets maintained. It will be a dump in 10 years.

I don't think too many children would think this park is overdesigned. Looks like a fun place for a 6 year old to explore.

Back