Mass Ave Reconstruction

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Rethinking Mass. Ave.

Ken Kruckemeyer examines sidewalk widths on Mass. Ave. (Ethan Gilsdorf for The Boston Globe)

By Ethan Gilsdorf
August 10, 2008

How do you reconstruct a major, urban artery notorious for its traffic congestion and safety issues, but do so in a way that pleases not only neighborhood residents but supports the street's many users - cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, and buses?

Such are the challenges faced by the city's reconstruction of seven blocks of Massachusetts Avenue in the South End, from St. Botolph to Albany streets. A task force of residents, business owners, and neighborhood associations has been meeting, incredibly, for more than a decade trying to iron out a plan. For years, funding was stalled and other delays kept the project from moving forward. Finally, this summer, the plans entered the final design phase.

The puny $12.3 million budget means not every improvement, both practical and pie-in-the-sky, can be funded. But changes will be made to sidewalks, roadway width, signal timing and placement, and streetscaping, and construction is expected to begin in next spring and be complete by 2012.

To some, the rehab constitutes a major improvement. Others, particularly those groups behind the new "complete streets" design concept that gives pedestrians, bicyclist, and mass transit users equal footing with car traffic, have serious reservations.

In fact, some bicycling advocates feel the Mass. Ave. plan flies in the face of Mayor Thomas Menino's own agenda to put in bike lanes across the city - Menino announced last week that the city's first lanes on Commonwealth Avenue and in the Franklin Park area are just about ready. Bike advocates don't understand why a key street like Mass. Ave. would not be redesigned to also make room for traffic other than cars. The current plan widens travel lanes and inserts several left-hand turn lanes, but includes no dedicated bike lane.

"We are disappointed that the City was unable to incorporate the latest thinking on bicycle, pedestrian, and disabled access into the design, instead choosing to focus on moving cars through the corridor faster," commented David Watson, executive director of MassBike, in an e-mail. "Over the many years that this project has been in process, standards for road design, both nationally and here in Massachusetts, have evolved to become less car-centric and more inclusive of non-motorized users."

Part of the problem is that the project's roots reach back to the early 1990s, before concerns about gas prices and global warming drove urban planners to rethink how a roadway might work for all its users. The state body that regulates road design, MassHighway, only recently revamped its "Design Guidebook" in 2006 to give planners more flexibility to better favor bikers and walkers.

"The city is at a different place than it was when this project began," admitted Tom Tinlin, commissioner of the Boston Transportation Department. "It's unfortunate that some use Mass. Ave. as a snapshot to see where the city is with biking." Any redesign at this stage, he said, would "start the process over" and jeopardize the funding. "You don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water."

Yet many who push for a more human-centered, not car-centered design, hope it's not too late to revisit the design.

"Mass. Ave. is really the most critical connection in Boston for bikers," said Ken Kruckemeyer, a 41-year South End veteran and former commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Public Works who now sits on the board of Livable Streets. "This is setting the stage for the next 50 years on this street," he added. "I think it's a huge missed opportunity."

"This is a major point of travel for residents of two groups: older people, and people with disabilities," said Valerie Fletcher, a 26-year South End resident and executive director of Adaptive Environments, which advocates for accessible human-centered design. She feels cars are given too much room in the Mass. Ave. plan, and that wider sidewalks would be better use of the space.

"We're going to live with a street torn up for three years and end up with a street that is not better," she added. "It will be cleaner and prettier but not better." Neither Fletcher nor Kruckemeyer was on the task force, but both recognize the difficulty in pleasing all constituents.

Tinlin stands behind the plan and the work of the task force. "It is a great design that increases public safety, bicycle safely, and pedestrian safely," he said. In his view, the left-hand turn lanes create a "more orderly flow of traffic" that makes the street safer. While he had hoped to include a dedicated bike lane, he said a 14-foot-wide outside (right-hand) lane was created "to accommodate bicycles" and that "share the road" signs and pavement markings will alert car driver attention to the presence of cyclists.

But an opposing argument also holds sway: that the wider outside lane will make more hazardous conditions. "The wider the lane, the faster the cars. I don't see how this makes this safer. I am mystified by this," Fletcher said. The design "makes it as easy as possible for people to go 35 miles per hour." Fletcher claimed Mass. Ave has the highest rate of pedestrian death of any street in the city.

Fletcher and others wish the design had been closer to what has happened on the Cambridge side of Mass. Ave., where in many stretches lane widths were actually reduced to calm traffic, make room for bike lanes, and widen sidewalks.

Still, some feel there's still time to tweak the design. When bike advocacy organizations got wind of the recent project to reconstruct Commonwealth Ave. near BU, they mobilized to insist on changes. The overall design had already been approved, but space was found within the existing curb locations for dedicated bike lanes.

"If we can keep the funding and keep the reconstruction going I would love to sit down with Livable Streets, MassHighway, and the city and make some minor adjustments," said Christos Hamawi, a Mass. Ave. task force member for five years. He hopes to persuade others that a foot or two can be gained by reducing travel-lane width. Change may be possible, even though the project is at "100 percent Plans Received" stage, and will be put out to bid to construction companies beginning Aug. 16. One idea that Hamawi likes: a dedicated lane for bikes and buses.

"I'm not done," Hamawi said. "I'm going to be continue to be outspoken about it. I don't want to stop it, [but] Commonwealth Ave is a good example, of how we can make changes within the scope of the overall project."

Send comments, bike news and ideas for future columns to shiftinggears@globe.com.

Link

Put a heavy-rail subway under it while you're at it.

Put a heavy-rail subway under it while you're at it.

Red Line by-pass, running from Central to Savin Hill via Dudley? New stops at MIT, Beacon Street, super-station at Huntington (connection to Green & Orange), BU Medical, Dudley?

$4 billion well spent.

Going under the Charles is the only part of the idea that kind of bugs me ... seems as if it would cost a lot of money and involve a lot of work. I can't think of any alternative ... not as if you can put it on the Mass Ave bridge.

Add a stop on the Green Line at Auditorium, while you're at it? Suddenly, all the colleges and universities are connected.

Your scheme also raises a good question - how close is the Orange Line stop at Mass Ave to the Green Line stop at Symphony? Can we build a tunnel between the two, right now?

Going under the Charles is the only part of the idea that kind of bugs me...

Immersed-tube tunnel?

...not as if you can put it on the Mass Ave bridge.

Better: new iconic road & rail bridge connected to a new Storrow Drive interchange to eliminate the hated Bowker Overpass. ~ $500 M.

Add a stop on the Green Line at Auditorium, while you're at it? Suddenly, all the colleges and universities are connected.

Good idea. May also foster air-rights development over the Pike.

...how close is the Orange Line stop at Mass Ave to the Green Line stop at Symphony? Can we build a tunnel between the two, right now?

Roughly 200 yards, and of course.

Build a subway line that uses Red Line trains. Run both lines in the current tunnel from Harvard to Central (think downtown DC), with a new line following the whole length of Mass Ave down to Columbia Rd, reconnect with the red line at JFK/UMASS, and make one of the two southern branches of the red line run on the new line via Mass Ave. You could even continue west from Harvard to Alston or Watertown. It's a great idea.

Well, if we go down Mass Ave, then we can meet up with the commuter rail coming from Uphams Corner, which is conveniently located next to South Bay, meaning everyone can go shopping and take the subway or commuter rail home, instead of driving over by car.

Surely, this is already in the works?

Thanks for "getting peanut butter on my chocolate" -- smart ideas, pjm. What we've got here (accidentally) replicates the capacity and pattern of the discarded plan for I-695 using heavy rail instead of highways. Who wants to tell the Feds that they're fucking up? Gas'll be $6.00 a gallon next summer.

If this is in the works, jimbo, someone here would know. (I think?)

Very far sighted!
By the way, wasn't there a plan to run Mass Ave under Chester Square and restore the square somewhat?

Red Line by-pass, running from Central to Savin Hill via Dudley? New stops at MIT, Beacon Street, super-station at Huntington (connection to Green & Orange), BU Medical, Dudley?

$4 billion well spent.

They can get $1 billion by nixing the SL3.

This would be like a miniture urban ring. I am sure it was looked at, in the planning process. It seems like this would be better and faster than BRT and that major stations could have their own hub and spoke feeders. Then from Harvard the Urban Ring could continue northeast as planned. Train > bus

Build a subway line that uses Red Line trains. Run both lines in the current tunnel from Harvard to Central (think downtown DC), with a new line following the whole length of Mass Ave down to Columbia Rd, reconnect with the red line at JFK/UMASS, and make one of the two southern branches of the red line run on the new line via Mass Ave. You could even continue west from Harvard to Alston or Watertown. It's a great idea.
Yes !

This would reduce overcrowding at downtown stations as transfers could be made at Mass Ave stations.

And as a rider of the Number 1 bus in years past, let me begin by saying that service was truly horrible. Buses were constantly caught in traffic and would arrive in groups of two or three. It was often faster to take the Green Line downtown and then Red Line to Harvard than to take the Number 1 bus.

I know there's talk about Mass Ave currently going on in the Comm. Ave. thread, but it should really be in here..

On Mass. Ave., a danger zone for pedestrians

By Meghan Irons
Globe Staff / November 23, 2008

Crossing major intersections on busy Massachusetts Avenue has long been a challenge for pedestrians. Walkers have to contend with aggressive drivers who don't yield to them, bikers zooming in and out of traffic, and a busy schedule of buses.

Some people who work and study at Boston University School of Public Health's new digs in the new Crosstown Building at Mass. Ave. and Albany Street say crossing the busy thoroughfare has become downright dangerous.

They say walk signals at that intersection flash on at the same time the green light activates, and that drivers making turns on the green light ignore pedestrians in the crosswalk. To make matters worse, pedestrians - some on cellphones - often cut in between cars that have edged into the intersection, waiting to turn.

Since the school moved some departments and classrooms to its new space at 801 Mass. Ave. earlier this year, at least six people - including two professors and a staffer - have been struck by cars. Sarah P.Z. Dwyer, manager of operations at BU's School of Public Health, said there have also been numerous close calls.

Complaints have been mounting, Dwyer said, with students, faculty and staff calling the intersection "scary."

Dwyer and others are urging increased police enforcement of the traffic regulations, traffic monitoring cameras, and the reconfiguration of the traffic light so that there is a four-way stop.

"I'm really concerned about the safety of anyone trying to get through there," said Dwyer, who coordinated the move of 150 BU School of Public Health employees from the BU medical campus on Albany Street to Mass. Ave.

The Boston Transportation Department, working with BU and Boston Medical Center officials, has responded. After a BU professor was struck in late August, city crews repainted the crosswalks and posted larger "Yield to Pedestrian" signs, as well as "No Turn on Red" signs. Signs also warn pedestrians to watch for turning vehicles.

"If they have a showdown with a vehicle," said Jim Gillooly, the city's deputy transportation commissioner, "the vehicle is going to win."

Gillooly defends the walk signals' being synchronized with the green light for drivers, saying they get people across the street quicker. In the next month, he said, new traffic signal controllers will be installed at the intersection so that pedestrians can get a jump-start crossing the street before the green light goes on.

More improvements are planned when a major two-year renovation begins on Mass. Ave. from Symphony Hall to near Melnea Cass Boulevard, he said.

In the meantime, the recent accidents, including the three reported to police - two in September and one this month - have renewed worry among the faculty, especially for those who have long complained that a move to Mass. Ave. would put students, faculty, and staff in peril.

"I've been predicting this," said Michael Siegel, a BU professor who is associate chairman of social and behavioral sciences. "We're lucky because at this point there has not been a tragedy. I think it's a matter of time before someone gets killed."
Discuss
COMMENTS (1)

One of Siegel's colleagues, associate professor Anita Raj, a developmental psychologist, was leaving a meeting at Boston Medical Center and heading home Aug. 29, when she was struck as she stepped onto Mass. Ave. at Albany Street.

The impact sent her flying. She fell backward onto the hood of a car as it was still moving. "I was sliding down," she said after class on Tuesday, "and I thought, 'Oh my God.' "

Raj, who did not report the accident to police, escaped with some bruises and was able to drive herself home. But after the accident she fired off an e-mail to BU safety officials about pedestrian safety at the intersection.

The response was swift. But Raj said she worries about her students' safety, as well as that of the medical center's patients, especially people in wheelchairs and those who can't make it across the street in the 15 seconds that the walk signs allow.

The cross signal "is probably blinking by the time I'm close to the end," Raj said. "Some people coming to the hospital aren't so quick."

The building at 801 Mass. Ave. houses some BU School of Public Health departments and classrooms, as well as offices for Brigham and Women's Hospital and Boston Medical Center. Roughly 1,000 people work there, said Dwyer.

The extra foot traffic from the building only adds to the congestion, according to police, city transportation, and BU officials. Then there are the speeding ambulances. Two busy intersections sandwich Albany Street. One of them - at Melnea Cass Boulevard - feeds heavy traffic onto the interstate.

Mass. Ave. is always tough, but it's worse with Albany Street, said Boston police Captain William Evans.

Evans is part of a task force established in response to the safety complaints. An officer is frequently stationed at the intersection to watch for traffic violators, he said.

"It's a way to get people to slow down," he said.

Meghan Irons can be reached at mirons@globe.com.

Link

Who wants to tell the Feds that they're fucking up? Gas'll be $6.00 a gallon next summer.

Thank you for understanding that just because gas is below a buck-sixty, that doesn't mean we're home free-which the rest of the country seems to believe.

I'd really like to see if Massachusetts has the smartest people on Planet Earth...

It has some, but none of them are in government.

Residents sue over Mass. Ave. project

By Christina Pazzanese
Globe Correspondent / December 14, 2008

Three South End residents filed a complaint in Suffolk Superior Court last week in an effort to halt a planned $12 million overhaul of Massachusetts Avenue between Albany Street and St. Botolph Street.

The group charges that state and city officials overseeing the upcoming project are violating a 1996 state law designed to ensure that public roadwork projects provide adequate access for bicyclists and pedestrians.

Plans for the Mass. Ave. reconstruction don't include a designated bike lane and call for sidewalks to be narrowed in many sections.

Attorneys for plaintiffs Kenneth Kruckemeyer, Dennis Heaphy, and Cindy Walling said all are members of various bike and pedestrian advocacy groups that have tried to get the state Highway Department and the City of Boston to revise the existing design to include a bike lane and to widen sidewalks. Kruckemeyer and Walling travel mostly by bicycle; Heaphy is in a wheelchair, said attorney Andrew M. Fischer. None owns a vehicle, he added.

Heaphy, 47, uses a motorized wheelchair controlled by his chin and regularly travels from his longtime home on Mass. Ave. near Huntington Avenue to the Boston University Medical Center for medical and dental care. It's a route Heaphy calls "precarious" because maneuvering his chair is tough on the narrow, crowded brick sidewalks there.

"It's very difficult on a narrow sidewalk with somebody behind me going in the same direction and someone else going in the other direction," said Heaphy.

Adding two feet to the sidewalk and two feet more to the roadway would allow for a more acceptable sidewalk width and a dedicated bike lane, the plaintiffs believe.

"It's not too late to redesign the project," Fischer told Judge Geraldine Hines last Tuesday. Fischer noted that a similar project done by the Highway Department on Mass. Ave. in Cambridge from Central Square to Memorial Drive, and work done to Commonwealth Avenue by the Boston University campus, achieved the same objectives without unduly taxing the flow of traffic.

Noting that the last major project on this portion of Mass. Ave. was done in the mid-1970s, Fischer said it was critical that work did not move forward until these issues are addressed. "There will not be an opportunity to fix this, if it's not done right now, for another generation," he said.

The reconstruction of the one-mile stretch of Mass. Ave. that spans the Symphony Hall area, the South End, and Lower Roxbury is slated to begin next spring and be completed in 2012.

The legal action came on the day that Highway Department officials unsealed two bids from construction firms vying for the contract, said spokesman Adam Hurtubise. The department had not yet selected a winning contractor, nor had the names of the contending firms been made publicly available, he said.

But the Highway Department, which is overseeing the federally funded project, has heard from and considered the interests of bicyclists and pedestrians during numerous public planning meetings held over the last several years, said Assistant Attorney General Ronald F. Kehoe. The law does not mandate that the department install bike lanes or other amenities, but only to do what is "reasonable," he said.

Comparisons to the Mass. Ave. project in Cambridge or recent work to Commonwealth Avenue are "preposterous," said Kehoe, since neither road is lined with residential brownstones like the South End, and in Cambridge, a travel lane was forfeited in both directions to fit in two bike lanes.

Adding a bike lane is "not feasible" without narrowing the roadway or removing left-turn lanes at key intersections, moves that would create havoc on traffic using Mass. Ave. to get to or from Route 93, said Karen Roach, an attorney for the city. "It would be unbelievable gridlock every day of the week," Roach said.

Kehoe and Roach asked the judge to dismiss the case, saying there is no legal basis for the suit and that the court does not have jurisdiction to overrule the Highway Department's decision.

Thomas J. Tinlin, commissioner of the Boston Transportation Department and one of the defendants in the case, told the Globe last August that travel lanes closest to the curb have been widened to 14 feet "to accommodate bicycles" and that signage and pavement marks will be installed to make sure drivers are forewarned to 'share the road.' "

Judge Hines said she would take the matter under advisement but warned, "I'm not convinced it's a judge's role to tell a department what it can and cannot do."

Hines said the court would not issue a decision on the injunction until late January, after Fischer had filed a rebuttal.

"They're doing the bare minimum and not following the spirit of the regulations that call upon road projects to give priority to pedestrians and bicyclists," said Heaphy of the city's plans for Mass. Ave.

"Our hope is to go back to the table with them," he said.

Link

Residents sue over Mass. Ave. project

Adding two feet to the sidewalk and two feet more to the roadway would allow for a more acceptable sidewalk width and a dedicated bike lane, the plaintiffs believe.

----

Comparisons to the Mass. Ave. project in Cambridge or recent work to Commonwealth Avenue are "preposterous," said Kehoe, since neither road is lined with residential brownstones like the South End, and in Cambridge, a travel lane was forfeited in both directions to fit in two bike lanes.

Adding a bike lane is "not feasible" without narrowing the roadway or removing left-turn lanes at key intersections, moves that would create havoc on traffic using Mass. Ave. to get to or from Route 93, said Karen Roach, an attorney for the city. "It would be unbelievable gridlock every day of the week," Roach said.

Thomas J. Tinlin, commissioner of the Boston Transportation Department and one of the defendants in the case, told the Globe last August that travel lanes closest to the curb have been widened to 14 feet "to accommodate bicycles" and that signage and pavement marks will be installed to make sure drivers are forewarned to 'share the road.' "

---

"They're doing the bare minimum and not following the spirit of the regulations that call upon road projects to give priority to pedestrians and bicyclists," said Heaphy of the city's plans for Mass. Ave.

Link

I hope the lawsuit wins, the city officials are idiots.

Remove parking on one side of the street, giving you an extra 8 feet. Remove 4 feet from the lane closest to the curve lanes, adding another 8. Make the other 11 foot lane 10, 2 more feet.

Thats 18 feet to work with.

10 feet for bike lanes (one in each direction).

And another 8 feet left over. You can either expand the sidewalks by 4 feet each, or stick with the parking, which should be removed closest to bus stations, which should be cut outs

Clearly someone is not listening:

Fischer noted that a similar project done by the Highway Department on Mass. Ave. in Cambridge from Central Square to Memorial Drive, and work done to Commonwealth Avenue by the Boston University campus, achieved the same objectives without unduly taxing the flow of traffic.

They're stuck in a 60s mentality. They point to the fact that the street is lined with brownstones as a constraint to allowing for wider sidewalks and bike lanes. What this should suggest to them is that this is an urban neighborhood that needs these things more than another traffic lane. They're obviously prioritizing the traffic flow to 93 over the needs of the area (or over the needs of peds and cyclists who come through it). The residents are being treated as if they live alongside a traffic sewer.

Back