Mass Ave Reconstruction

Are they actually reconstructing anything or are they merely littering the street with construction paraphernalia?

All the orange cones and barrels are part of an interactive public art installation. You philistines just don't get the sophisticated cosmopolitan art and culture of the South End. You know some jackass probably could get away with writing an editorial like that in the Globe.

Anyone have any pics of the latest construction work? Would be curious to see if the final product looks like an improvement.

Are they actually reconstructing anything or are they merely littering the street with construction paraphernalia?

Brick sidewalks and ornamental lighting, which frankly, I'm quite tired of. Does ever square inch of Boston need the faux-historic street lamps? When are we going to move into the 21st Century? Other historic cities, like Paris, NY, London, are not as nearly obsessed with making everything new look old.

You forget that stretch of Mass Ave runs through a historic district aimed at preserving ye olde victorian rowhouses.

Now if someone wanted to stick the same street lighting, ornamental paving style, and street furniture in the shiny new Seaport District, I'd agree that would be aesthetically flawed.

You forget that stretch of Mass Ave runs through a historic district aimed at preserving ye olde victorian rowhouses.

Now if someone wanted to stick the same street lighting, ornamental paving style, and street furniture in the shiny new Seaport District, I'd agree that would be aesthetically flawed.

And what about Boylston Street, Comm Ave from Kenmore to BC, the Greenway, etc.

It would be expensive but it would be nice if major thoroughfares, and perhaps neighborhoods, had unique street furniture and light fixtures to reinforce a sense of place in the individual areas versus the city as a whole.

I'm honestly not a fan of the city using 'historic' lighting modeled after Washington, D.C.'s lighting instead of replicating the actual electric fixtures the city used from 1910-58.

Major work going on now...glad I didn't try to drive through here, traffic was an absolute mess!

5696196737_c6f7e4a68a_b.jpg

5696774010_f418796b7a_b.jpg

The street signs hanging on the traffic lights have been a great addition and should be used more in Boston.

Is that the worlds smallest median strip?

Is that the worlds smallest median strip?

There's an even smaller one where Forsyth Street meets Hemenway by Northeastern. Dumbest little concrete stub I've ever seen.

It's a 'ski jump' for drunks and drag racers to hit late at night.

I can look at it later. Most likely the purpose of the island is for signage, which will be done in by the previously mentioned groups, or snowplows in the winter.

I would hope that any new medians can be densely planted with shrubs and trees.

Back