Massachusetts Turnpike/I-90 (Current Projects, Conceptual Improvements, & Long Term)

One area of the Mass Pike that seems to be getting worse and worse is the Exit 90 interchange with I-290 & I-395. Specifically there always seems to be traffic on I-90 Westbound at Exit 90 and at the merging onramp traffic from I-290/I-395. The other issue is that I-290 Westbound traffic gets stuck queuing in the right lane to get on to I-90 at exit 12 for 1-2 miles at times. Does anyone know if MassDOT is eyeing this area for traffic studies or improvements?
1728059477279.png

The other ridiculous aspect of this messy interchange is that traffic coming up I-395 Northbound to get onto I-90 has to get off the highway and merge onto Route 12 in Auburn before jumping on the I-90 on ramp to head I-90 Eastbound/Westbound. This is crazy to me and Route 12 in the summer can get really backed up because there is a light right before the onramp. This design is horrific and I wonder if it would ever be changed? See my markups in red and dont mind the horrible line tracing I attempted lol. This area is very constrained by neighborhoods and businesses.
1728059661248.png

This area is very constrained by neighborhoods and businesses.
It's also tightly constrained by rock cliffs around the actual ramps of the trumpet interchange. The Pike mainline is blasted through a cut in that vicinity.

I'm honestly at a loss to describe how this interchange can be significantly improved given all the constraints on every side. And the state's never studied anything here, so I think they've reached the same conclusion.

I *believe* the last studies of this area were in the late 90s to early 2000s when they were trying to build an access road to Worcester Airport - I don't think it's accessible online, but reporting from the time seems to suggest that MassHighway would have considered reconfiguring the RT12 ramps for airport access from I90/290.

Back