MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Re: MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. + Mass. Ave

Good question...they also show retail along mass ave across from the hynes green line stop...is that happening too?

What is the story of the grey massing in front of it? Is that part of Berklee's expansion plan? I thought there was going to be a second tower, is that it?

Yeah, that is the massing for the berklee expansion, but who know when that will happen now considering everything berklee has gone through with its current project

Hallel-Freakin'-Lujah.

Well, there's a project that EVERY party wanted built that was delayed 6 months for bureaucratic ineptitude.

Long live the art of communicating!

Does this mean the end of Bukowski's closet?

Yeah, that is the massing for the berklee expansion, but who know when that will happen now considering everything berklee has gone through with its current project

I believe Lee Kennedy has been footing the bill to put kids up in hotels. So, financially at least, this project didn't hurt Berklee.

I still don't understand why Parcel 12 is so short....

I thought this project was dead its been so long I really hope this gets built. Building over highway/rail is a great idea. I hope the whole of the pike in boston gets covered some day.

Frank Sargent Redux -- "You're for Park Plaza, I'm for Park Plaza, We're All for Park Plaza" --- I't the High Spine in its ultimate manifestation

from a the full text of the ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT
PARK PLAZA URBAN RENEWAL PROJECT

Boston Redevelopment Authority
June 8, 1973

Another objective is the continuation of the "high spine" of Boston with an evenly spaced series of high-rise structures. The scale of development proposed for Park Plaza is entirely consistent with the guidelines which have been established for new development in the City of Boston.

These guidelines call for intense development along the high spine, a linear corridor paralleling Boylston Street from Prudential Center to Washington Street and then turning north through the financial district to the Government Center, roughly coinciding with the Main Rapid Transit routes. The Prudential Center, the New and Old Hancock Buildings, and the Tufts New England Medical Center are elements already in place on the east-west arm of this corridor.

These idiots better open up the Hynes underpass.

Cover story in this week's Boston Courant discussing Parcels 12 - 15. Not necessarily full of news but covers the state of things right now.

Parcel 14 is, from what I can tell and remember from earlier proposals, is a small triangle of land near the bridge and where you turn off Mass Ave to go down Scotia & Cambria. It is/was? owned by Chiofaro & Co. They had wanted to merge their land with the parcel next door - I think Parcel 15, and build something on that, but they lost their bid for every parcel.

Proposals or Parcel 12 and Parcel 15 put forward by Samuels and Associates and Weiner Ventures were approved by MassDOT earlier this year (or, last year?)

As we all know and curse, Trinity Financial's proposal for Parcel 13 was denied ... eight months after being submitted, with the official reason being it was submitted two hours past the deadline.

The Courant article starts by saying, "Parcel 13 and possibly 14 will remain the only developable Back Bay air rights parcels in play for the foreseeable future, according to DOT Secretary Richard Davey. (Meaning, Parcel 8 in the Fenway and the Columbus Center projects are still dead.)

The hold up to advertising Parcel 13 (which, we'd all hope, had already been done by now, since nothing has changed between then and now, right?) is MassDOT says there is "significant work that would need to be done to the abutting MBTA Hynes Convention Center (Green Line) station in order to make it comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The thinking is, the eventual development on Parcel 13 will require the developer to make changes to the station in order to build right next to it (and, over it, if I'm not mistaken) which means the station, since it is being modified, would be required to install accessibility upgrades.

But, "We're not done yet with Parcel 13," says Secretary Davey. "The panel is in the process of being studied to better assess the full extent of what improvements will have to be part of the development proposal. Upon the completion of the study, MassDOT will be able to put the air rights back out to bid.

And Secretary Davey "hopes Trinity Financial is among those who pitch a plan for Parcel 13."

Can you make money on Parcel 13 with a low rise?

Can you make money on Parcel 13 with a low rise?

Maybe. Parcel 12 is only 2-3 stories right? But then 13 is a larger area over the pike.

I think it is much more likely to see 8-12 floors to match the surrounding buildings. It might be allowed to be the biggest on that block, but not by much.

the two story section will also be offset by the 8-12 floor section along Boylston that will not require decking.

Hahaha TJ. I pictured you saying that and I laughed.

The rendering itself is cheap. If the materials are good, this would be a welcomed development and greatly extend Boylston St right up to the Fenway area.

Considering that a sizeable chunk of the building would be devoted to student housing combined with Trinity's penchant for "mixed income" work as well as Hope VI trash, they are among the last developers from whom I would expect a quality product

Considering that a sizeable chunk of the building would be devoted to student housing combined with Trinity's penchant for "mixed income" work as well as Hope VI trash, they are among the last developers from whom I would expect a quality product

"Student housing" is a bit of a misnomer for the BAC, as half of a students grade is having a job in the field (practice) during the day, with classes at night. The push for housing is also typically from the international students, who are usually in the graduate program. A large percentage of the undergrads are locals or commuters.

You know what I never realized is that the Harold Brown parcel at 1101 Boylston Street (or thereabouts) is included in this rendering. Notice how it puts much of Parcel 12 in shadow.

Also, why is Parcel 12 so short? Seems to me, if you have to go to the trouble of building a deck over a highway, you might as well have it pay off by building something taller.

Are there limitations on weight? The Shaws (Star?) and hotel down the Pike in Newton aren't exactly high-rises.

download.php

No, the Harold Brown project will go in the gap between the ~8 story building (which is part of parcel 12) and the existing apartment building at the corner. What you see here is all the space Brown's project will take up.

Back