MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Wow never thought there'd be so much anti-Dave & Busters sentiment. I agree this isn't the place for it, since Kings is right next door, but there should more venues for the 21+ college kids/post grads in the city.

It's about time we fill that Good Times void already.

A Dave & Busters in theory would be perfect for this location. (Urban, near colleges, on public transit, etc) However, I think they have a less than impressive record of delivering a quality product - their Braintree location is garbage. There must be other operators that do the same thing, but have a better run operation and would bring a lot more to the area than a mediocre arcade.

What they're describing is more/less exactly what Kings offers, and it's on the same block. The only difference is this is a cheesy chain restaurant. I guess I've just always had a distaste for the big chains.

Latitude 360 looks slightly better than D&Bs. The sign/emblem is really tacky (as is D&B's) but whatever. I'm a snob.

Yeah my concern would be more that it's a pretty unique type of business, so with one nearby something else would make more sense.

All that aside, I just hope we get something to really happen in this round of design proposals.

Only on ArchBoston is competition and choice bad. Kings is only tangentially in the same target business as D&B. I could understand D&B hate if there was such a concept or two already in Boston, but there isn't and I think it's a damn good location for one.

Not every location has to be a world-class beer bar or a five star dining experience and downtown Boston is severely lacking any kind of this entertainment.

A Dave & Busters in theory would be perfect for this location. (Urban, near colleges, on public transit, etc) However, I think they have a less than impressive record of delivering a quality product - their Braintree location is garbage. There must be other operators that do the same thing, but have a better run operation and would bring a lot more to the area than a mediocre arcade.

So yea, maybe it doesn't need to be a D&B - but I would still like to see something along the same concept there. Also give me some god damn cheesy eighties neon lighting.

But even then, Jillian's is right down the street with a lot of similar stuff there too...and the aforementioned Latitude 360 will possibly be in Downtown Crossing too. How many Bar/Bowling/Arcade combos do we need in the city? I would love to see something new & different here...but I don't think we need another one of those joints.

But even then, Jillian's is right down the street with a lot of similar stuff there too...and the aforementioned Latitude 360 will possibly be in Downtown Crossing too. How many Bar/Bowling/Arcade combos do we need in the city? I would love to see something new & different here...but I don't think we need another one of those joints.

One could actually make the case that Dave and Busters, despite all the hate it gets (if you don't like it, don't go there... I don't get the hate) offers a family entertainment option that Jillians/Lucky Strike and Kings avoid and Latitude 360 will actively ban. There is no arcade/restaurant aimed at families in Boston.

But it's not like anyone actually has proposed one for this location. This is all 100% hypothetical.

I like the atrium design, but I can't see the fins surviving the VE meat grinder.

Judging by the usual wait for an alley? More than two should be fine.

I don't know about Fri./Sat. nights, but after work and during the day on weekends it's usually pretty effortless to get a lane at Kings. Some days there's corporate after-party reservations blocking off large numbers of lanes, but even that rarely induces a wait.

I want to see some candlepin bowling come to downtown. The one on East Broadway in Southie isn't subway-walkable without boarding an overstuffed bus, and the one in Eastie near Logan is a bit of a hike from downtown. Everything else is either too small (just 7 lanes in JP), or out in Dorchester parkway/strip mall hell.

C'mon...this is Masshole kitsch! If they can tart up 10-pin for the upscale set, they can tart up candlepin. Some people at the office Xmas party might want to chuck a somewhat less-cumbersome ball for the sake of feeling non-awkwardly involved in the festivities.

I don't know about Fri./Sat. nights, but after work and during the day on weekends it's usually pretty effortless to get a lane at Kings. Some days there's corporate after-party reservations blocking off large numbers of lanes, but even that rarely induces a wait.

I want to see some candlepin bowling come to downtown. The one on East Broadway in Southie isn't subway-walkable without boarding an overstuffed bus, and the one in Eastie near Logan is a bit of a hike from downtown. Everything else is either too small (just 7 lanes in JP), or out in Dorchester parkway/strip mall hell.

C'mon...this is Masshole kitsch! If they can tart up 10-pin for the upscale set, they can tart up candlepin. Some people at the office Xmas party might want to chuck a somewhat less-cumbersome ball for the sake of feeling non-awkwardly involved in the festivities.

I'm biased, because it's my 'hood, but Sacco's in Davis Square is pretty awesome, and just a short Red Line ride from Downtown.

don't know about Fri./Sat. nights, but after work and during the day on weekends it's usually pretty effortless to get a lane at Kings.

I've spent entire nights playing air hockey while waiting for a lane. Not that I'm complaining about the air hockey.

Jillian's used to have half a floor of candlepin. They don't anymore? (Haven't been in a while)

How about a bar geared towards live music downtown?

^cafe 939.

although more good live music spots are always welcome.

I think an indoor roller skating rink would be pretty nifty.

Back