MassDOT Rail: Springfield Hub (East-West, NNERI, Berkshires, CT-Valley-VT-Quebec)

Track realignment underway at Springfield to reduce delays from freight trains and decrease train traffic congestion. Via Steve Fainer on twitter

IMG_6030.jpeg

I'm struggling to find anything but does anyone have more specific info on the work being performed?

Track realignment underway at Springfield to reduce delays from freight trains and decrease train traffic congestion. Via Steve Fainer on twitter

View attachment 55400
I'm struggling to find anything but does anyone have more specific info on the work being performed?
I imagine that's the Amtrak interlocking work; I don't think there's anything out there that shows the proposed layout, but I believe that this is separate from the proposed "Springfield Area Track Reconfiguration Project" - the state got 1.8m in CRISI money for preliminary design in 2022 but as of present that hasn't shown up in public yet.
1000037052.jpg

Hooray, they are doing it! But as others have pointed out, 2 additional trains per day is entirely inadequate. And it's extremely frustrating that to get that minimal bit of additional service is going to take 5 years to achieve.
Read the comments from the study in the link below. People in the Western part of the state want it to happen no matter the frequency, just as long as it happens soon and that it is maintained and reliable. People will take the low hanging fruit!

APPENDIX – PUBLIC COMMENTS RECEIVED

Back