Mayor Menino Builds a Legacy With Construction

So how does the mayors PR office explain all the cranes in Cambridge?

"[Boston's] vibrant local economy — fueled by growth in food service and computer-related industries, with a strong underpinning in biotechnology, education and health care — is driving the building boom."

Eek. "Food service" does not an economy make. Growth in the food service industry (i.e., restaurants) is more often a sign of economic growth rather than a driver of it. That economic growth can be coming from "real economy" growth ("computer-related industries" would be that) or "non-real-economy" growth (growth in consumer credit, fueling restaurant tabs). I do hope that "food service" is not actually one of the biggest drivers of the local economy these days, because it would suggest the economy is not doing quite as well as the restaurant openings and construction (two bubble-friendly sectors) would suggest.

On top of that, those are about the lowest-paying jobs, with median incomes getting pulled downward as food service becomes a proportionally bigger employer, all other things being equal. :(

Last edited:
I wish Menino would focus on building apartments in JP, Dorchester, and Roxbury. There's a lot of space to fill!

One way or another, but in a couple of years it will be called Menino Convention Center.

I wish Menino would focus on building apartments in JP, Dorchester, and Roxbury. There's a lot of space to fill!

Exactly! Can't believe I'm agreeing with one of your posts. Keep up this rational posting!

^what is your definition of rational? Pretty subjective wouldn't you say?

^you just type anything without thinking, don't you? Rationality is based on facts and since this is the case; yes, I'm probably more rational than you data.

Mayor Menino Builds a Legacy With Construction

That's the equivalent of saying "Rush Limbaugh builds a legacy with gay and women's rights!"

Last edited:
My complaints about the mayor basically whittled down to 1) he didn't do "enough" (enough building, enough vision) and 2) stayed too long.

Those are pretty weak criticisms, I would readily admit.

^^^
My question what has the Mayor really done?

All the jobs & growth are coming from Cambridge Ma. The entire city of Boston has become transplant of people from around the world to go to college here.

Yes... this is positive for diversity & education but this wasn't because of the Mayor.

The way I see Mayor Menino was very lucky during his tenure which he endure the largest BUBBLE of them all. THE COLLEGE BUBBLE and that is what made the city of Boston so desirable to live. Besides that take a look at the city's inner school system---FAILED.

Mayor John Lindsay isn't walking through that door.
Couldda been worse!

Back