Mayor Walsh Calls for Better Architecture/Urban Design

MBTAddict

Reaction score
This probably could have gone in a lot of threads, but I thought it might deserve its own. Mayor Walsh was at the Boston Chamber of Commerce today, and offered some thoughts about architecture and urban design. The following was taken from the transcript of his speech, which I received in an email so I don't have a link to share.

Finally, great cities aren’t made by investments alone. They are made by the talent and creativity of the people who live and work in them. Boston is home to the world’s most innovative thinkers – in science and technology, and in business, art, and architecture.

Our City’s built environment should reflect this culture of imagination.

Too often, in recent decades, new buildings have been merely functional.

I believe Boston can do better. We should aim for world-class design. Our historic buildings reflect our unique past. New buildings should project the values and aspirations of our growing city. We can balance the old and new. And we can do it with imagination.

Let’s make sure bold design is part of the conversation – for every building, in every neighborhood.

Let’s talk about what’s going to rise above the concrete garages downtown: from the Harbor, to Winthrop Square, to Haymarket.

Let’s talk about the streets that will grow around the Fairmount Line, and at Beacon Yards in Allston.

Let’s talk about our waterfront. The water’s edge is where Boston was born and where it continues to be renewed. What kind of development will fulfill the potential of the Seaport; of East Boston; of the Wharf District?

All across Boston, we have opportunities to imagine new landmarks; new spaces; and new gateways to our city.

So I challenge every developer working in our city to take design to a new level. Reach beyond your comfort zone. Boston’s design community is a driving force in our creative economy. Invite these innovators to dream up new images and new icons. Let’s build inspiration in our landscape.

I defer to the mods to rename the thread if needed.

Walsh really does say all the right things, most of the time. The question is how does he make it financially feasible to build something eye catching and not VE'd to death.

Walsh really does say all the right things, most of the time. The question is how does he make it financially feasible to build something eye catching and not VE'd to death.

Financially feasible? Do you realize how much demand there is in the Seaport and other areas for housing and office space? This isn't about feasibility, it's about lazy developers. They can get away with building crap and still charge top dollar, and no one ever challenged them on that.

Seems like Walsh is realizing there's no reason it has to be that way, and the city has the power to change that.

I think there is certainly blame to go around: Profit focused developers, NIMBY's backlash, and a permitting agency worried about being 'too iconic'.

Money will not be thrown at fanciful design, but certainly there is room to improve and add unique features and flourishes. It's not just the 20,30, 40+ story buildings but I think even in midsized residential buildings we lack behind other American and definitely European cities.

I'll be curious if any developer makes some direct pitches saying, if we have to chop this down 12 stories, it will lose X,Y, or Z part of the design because it just doesn't make sense.

I truly applaud his words- well intentioned & hopefully embraced by the public eager to ask for "better" rather than "more" .

The mayor has to realize that such ambitious plans must be backed by his own office as far as working along with city/Urban planners, Architects, community leaders etc, in creating master plans & Zoning bylaws to address short, medium & long term developments containing the necessary parameters to meet those visions, so these new projects are subject to thorough review to ensure improvement & betterment of their locals, beyond the politics & the dollar investment returning to the real estate investors.....

I'm hoping this all means more architectural interest and detail with pedestrian-friendly human-scaled buildings rather than eye-catching starchitecture rubbish that looks great from a helicopter but sucks for anyone walking around or inside it.

I'm hoping this all means more architectural interest and detail with pedestrian-friendly human-scaled buildings rather than eye-catching starchitecture rubbish that looks great from a helicopter but sucks for anyone walking around or inside it.

Do we have much eye-catching starchitecture that looks great from a helicopter? That may be wishful thinking ;)

I just read in the Globe - not sure if this is the same speech - that he wants to change zoning all along the southern leg of the Orange Line to enable a lot more density with a lot less parking. He predicted that the result would be an example to other neighborhoods that would then want to jump on the TOD bandwagon. He talked about bringing restaurants and retail to these new developments in order to build neighborhoods.

He's sick of "squares" in the Seaport.

Marty, are you lurking here?

TOD and increasing density in Dorchester and Roxbury is really all you can do to put a dent into the affordable housing problem. Even then you face rampant gentrification. Large projects like Assembly Sq or Northpoint aren't the answer (especially since they are primarily luxury developments). It's going to be the small scale contractor/developer/owner that will save the city but they need the city to make that happen. The city needs more 5 story apartment buildings; cheap to put up and can hold more people on land where single family homes are now. It might not be something that people want to admit but that's how the city needs to grow. And it's got to happen in places like Allston/Brighton, Roxbury, and Dorchester. It's happening now in South Boston and from the looks of what's going up it's exactly the development the city needs all over. The trick will be for the city to both encourage this type of development while still addressing park space and school space. That's what the BRA should be doing!

TOD and increasing density in Dorchester and Roxbury is really all you can do to put a dent into the affordable housing problem. Even then you face rampant gentrification. Large projects like Assembly Sq or Northpoint aren't the answer (especially since they are primarily luxury developments). It's going to be the small scale contractor/developer/owner that will save the city but they need the city to make that happen. The city needs more 5 story apartment buildings; cheap to put up and can hold more people on land where single family homes are now. It might not be something that people want to admit but that's how the city needs to grow. And it's got to happen in places like Allston/Brighton, Roxbury, and Dorchester. It's happening now in South Boston and from the looks of what's going up it's exactly the development the city needs all over. The trick will be for the city to both encourage this type of development while still addressing park space and school space. That's what the BRA should be doing!

This sounds like exactly what Walsh wants to do.

Heh. Almost replied with the samish e response. Basically put it right next to Walsh's open letter. Use southie as a guideline for multi family infill. With some smi funky designs and a good mix of colors.

Van, I very much agree with what you said. And to me, the most interesting thing you mentioned was the "Small scale contractor/developer/owner that will save the city". If smaller, local contractors could work on these projects (due to the buildings themselves being smaller) rather than the huge companies that work on larger mostly luxury buildings, it would be an economic boost for them. The ironworkers will still be busy with the larger scale developments, but a lot of the blue collar types who work for smaller scale construction companies (and electricians/plumbers/painters etc.) may live in these neighborhoods and be needing work. If the gov could find a way to help local companies get the work, it reinforces the economic vitality of the communities. I just thought this was a very interesting point you touched on, not sure if you were thinking along the same lines as me or not, but wanted to comment on it.

^This assumes that the city (or state?) currently owns the parcels that will be redeveloped. If these are privately owned parcels obviously thats not a concern.

[QUOTELet’s make sure bold design is part of the conversation – for every building, in every neighborhood.][/QUOTE]

It's that thinking that gave us Boston City Hall. "Bold" is a code word for "Let the architects go ape-shit satisfying their own egos as 'artistes.'

It's that thinking that gave us Boston City Hall. "Bold" is a code word for "Let the architects go ape-shit satisfying their own egos as 'artistes.'

Or it's simply a counter to prevailing BRA attitudes for the past decade.

"Bold" is a code word for "Let the architects go ape-shit satisfying their own egos as 'artistes.'

more a challenge to architecture/developer community to communicate to city just what is holding them back. Current feedback is "we need more support from city (better planning) and you need to relax parking and height requirements." parking is probably the biggest issue - it's the biggest contention with neighborhoods further you get from downtown, and in order to ease this concern, city really needs to advocate for alternative modes of transportation. parking takes up way too much space - architects hate it because it's a weird scale, very expensive to put in the building, and destroys street life. developers hate it because it's a loss-leader and many spaces go unsold. neighborhoods get all worked up over parking and traffic... if we can minimize parking need somehow, everyone would be happier and I think we'd get better buildings - and a better city.

in case you haven't noticed, the architecture community is one of the groups behind the push for cycling in the city.

Now it just got interesting.

Walsh seeks to extend city’s urban renewal powers

His administration is seeking state approval to extend 15 of the city’s 18 urban renewal districts for another decade, allowing the BRA to use eminent domain powers, tax breaks, and other tools to shape development.

Newly appointed BRA director Brian Golden acknowledged Tuesday that the authority has abused those powers in the past — by bulldozing whole neighborhoods in the 1950s and ’60s and more recently by being less than forthcoming about its financial dealings with developers and other parties.

But Golden pledged that the BRA will use urban renewal powers more sparingly in coming years to build moderately priced housing and promote business growth in neighborhoods. He also said citizens will have more input on zoning decisions and the use of public property.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ewal-powers/YVusQSa7f1YWMlyBsuTYIO/story.html

Related. We shall see what Walsh does about this guy
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...golden-have-you-met-your-new-boss.html?page=2

In all the bitching about shitty architecture I wonder how much Kairos Shen is behind some of the blander, faux-museum piece/mixed-media crap we get around here. Or is he making them better? Who the fuck knows, but Im pretty sure he's not supportive of very mold-breaking stuff.

Related. We shall see what Walsh does about this guy
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...golden-have-you-met-your-new-boss.html?page=2

In all the bitching about shitty architecture I wonder how much Kairos Shen is behind some of the blander, faux-museum piece/mixed-media crap we get around here. Or is he making them better? Who the fuck knows, but Im pretty sure he's not supportive of very mold-breaking stuff.

Considering that Kairos once said that an earlier proposal for the Radian was "too iconic" and needed to be less iconic, I'd say he had a heavy hand in ensuring all of Boston's mid-rise residential towers turned out bland.

Back