MBTA Bus & BRT

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
The MBTA is piloting real-time crowding info for some of the key bus routes ( 1, 15, 16, 22, 23, 31, 32, 109, and 110). They've installed counters on the front and rear doors to measure entries and exits. Pretty cool stuff.
https://www.mbta.com/projects/crowding-information-riders
Counters have existed for years, (APCs) but they're only usually used for ridership data the live transmission of the data is new

HenryAlan

Reaction score
1) There are four stops between Firth/South and Tollgate Way. Getting that down to two seems unrealistic. Consolidating the Mosgrove (OB)/Whipple (IB) stop with the Granfield Ave stop seems like the best way to eliminate a stop.
Yes, I didn't quite catch which stops they meant, so I described the general stretch. But they will be dropping a total of just one stop, so I see that I kind of mis-described what they said. I think it was one consolidation of two stops, and a move of another stop. Sorry about the confusion!
2) What's the deal with the name "Tollgate Way", anyway? There's no such street today and I haven't found one a historical map I checked either.
Washington St. in that area used to be a toll road. Tollgate Way was the beginning of the tolled section, as you head off toward Dedham. As Downburst described, there was a path to Hyde Park Ave. located there. Later, with the advent of high frequency rail service, there was a pedestrian bridge. Some of the bridge structure remained until about 10 years ago, when it was completely removed.

KCasiglio

Reaction score
599 Burgin Parkway (former Lowes building across from Quincy Adams) as the location for the new & expanded bus facility continues. The new facility will allow the expansion of the Quincy fleet from 86 to 135 buses, and it will be the first MBTA facility able to accommodate battery electric buses.

There will be a public meeting tonight if anyone is interested, information is here

The presentation is pre-recorded and available here

I live right behind this site, and while I had some concerns about pedestrian access to QA station they seem to have been adequately addressed. People might actually use grasso park now!

sm89

Reaction score
Route 39 no longer runs down Belvidere and around the Prudential Center and now takes the more direct route via Ring Rd to Copley. And some stop moves and consolidations, particularly a bunch of moves to far side intersection stops. http://milesintransit.com/2020/06/14/guide-to-the-mbtas-summer-2020-service-changes/
What isn't mentioned is that Prospect St/Washington St is "severed" at Somerville Ave right now. When you arrive on Prospect St NB, you have to go right or left. The entire roadway between Bonner Ave and Somerville Ave is closed off with jersey barriers. It's been this way since the weekend and probably has at least another week left.

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
599 Burgin Parkway (former Lowes building across from Quincy Adams) as the location for the new & expanded bus facility continues. The new facility will allow the expansion of the Quincy fleet from 86 to 135 buses, and it will be the first MBTA facility able to accommodate battery electric buses.

There will be a public meeting tonight if anyone is interested, information is here

The presentation is pre-recorded and available here

I live right behind this site, and while I had some concerns about pedestrian access to QA station they seem to have been adequately addressed. People might actually use grasso park now!
I will never trust this one as delivered in-hand until the ink on the title deed is actually dried and proven to not be an ACME disappearing ink Looney Tunes gag. Quincy's ability and willingness to go the extra mile to try to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory has been utterly pants-shitting scary on this one.