MBTA Buses & Infrastructure

I do suspect the ability to sidestep any lengthy public engagement process about a permanent change is what's driving a lot of these "pilot" decisions. Not everyone is as brave as Jay Monti in Everett (Mr. "The Pilot Is the Process" regarding the Broadway bus lanes) but the sentiment is there. Run the pilot and gather data along the way so at some point, you can issue a report validating the decision and change the bureaucratic designation from "pilot" to "permanent" the next time the road needs resurfacing.

I've wondered if this has (negative) implications for enforcement, though. The Washington Ave. bus lanes in the North End seem like a prime example. Any time it's a heavy traffic day or a rain storm, drivers all seem to think the red paint doesn't apply to them anymore -- possibly because the right-turn lane onto Atlantic Ave. might be backing up. By not making them a big production (and center-running a la Columbus Ave, as they should be on North Washington IMO), is it harder to get BTD and BPD to take enforcement seriously?

Last edited:

City expects to announce how it will revamp Blue Hill Avenue in December​

newbha.jpg

“The city is out with a comparison of two basic approaches for improving Blue Hill Avenuebetween Mattapan Square and Grove Hall - a massive re-build with construction of dedicated bus lanes and a more modest plan with a massive increase in traffic enforcement by police - and says it expects Mayor Wu to announce a final plan for the road by the end of the year.

Under one of the scenarios presented to residents, officials and groups along the avenue, the city and MBTA would install dedicated bus lanes - similar to the ones now in pace on part of Columbus Avenue in Roxbury - and take other steps to try to convert what is now a sort of semi-highway into more of a community boulevard, including dedicated bus lanes and major tree planting along the avenue.

Under the other, the city would make more modest physical improvements, such as re-striping crosswalks and replanting trees in what are now empty tree wells - but would also beef up BPD traffic enforcement to make drivers obey laws about speeding and giving pedestrians the right of way in crosswalks.

BTD says the dedicated-bus-lane concept would mean faster, less crowded service on the 28, which is already the most heavily used bus line in New England and which carries more people each day than any single Green Line branch. By slowing vehicle traffic and adding bike lanes, pedestrians and bicyclists would have less worries about getting flattened while crossing or traveling on the avenue. And Blue Hill Avenue would begin to feel more like a part of the neighborhoods it traverses, rather than a commuter speedway - coupled with all the trees that would help transform the street from a long, narrow heat island….”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/city-expects-announce-plan-revamp-blue-hill-avenue

Transportation actuon plan, october 6
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...UGqZiSV19ud1VsDaBN4/mobilepresent?slide=id.p1

City expects to announce how it will revamp Blue Hill Avenue in December​

newbha.jpg

“The city is out with a comparison of two basic approaches for improving Blue Hill Avenuebetween Mattapan Square and Grove Hall - a massive re-build with construction of dedicated bus lanes and a more modest plan with a massive increase in traffic enforcement by police - and says it expects Mayor Wu to announce a final plan for the road by the end of the year.

Under one of the scenarios presented to residents, officials and groups along the avenue, the city and MBTA would install dedicated bus lanes - similar to the ones now in pace on part of Columbus Avenue in Roxbury - and take other steps to try to convert what is now a sort of semi-highway into more of a community boulevard, including dedicated bus lanes and major tree planting along the avenue.

Under the other, the city would make more modest physical improvements, such as re-striping crosswalks and replanting trees in what are now empty tree wells - but would also beef up BPD traffic enforcement to make drivers obey laws about speeding and giving pedestrians the right of way in crosswalks.

BTD says the dedicated-bus-lane concept would mean faster, less crowded service on the 28, which is already the most heavily used bus line in New England and which carries more people each day than any single Green Line branch. By slowing vehicle traffic and adding bike lanes, pedestrians and bicyclists would have less worries about getting flattened while crossing or traveling on the avenue. And Blue Hill Avenue would begin to feel more like a part of the neighborhoods it traverses, rather than a commuter speedway - coupled with all the trees that would help transform the street from a long, narrow heat island….”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/city-expects-announce-plan-revamp-blue-hill-avenue

Transportation actuon plan, october 6
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...UGqZiSV19ud1VsDaBN4/mobilepresent?slide=id.p1
I swear to god if they go with the second plan that involves token improvements followed by putting a ton of cops in minority neighborhoods I will never forgive anyone involved.

Errmm... Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 15M RAISE Grant that Boston got for this project was specifically awarded for the multimodal center running plan? Unless the city is planning on forfeiting that grant, I feel as if the "enhanced existing conditions" option is merely to give the illusion of choice for the community engagement process, but I'd expect that the city is unlikely to go with it.

Local residents rejected free money for center running bus lanes once and they’ll reject them again.

Errmm... Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 15M RAISE Grant that Boston got for this project was specifically awarded for the multimodal center running plan? Unless the city is planning on forfeiting that grant, I feel as if the "enhanced existing conditions" option is merely to give the illusion of choice for the community engagement process, but I'd expect that the city is unlikely to go with it.
They were offered 7x the funds to do this in 2009 and they community said no.

They were offered 7x the funds to do this in 2009 and they community said no.
I haven't checked out exactly what happened back then, but from what I've read here before:

Wasn't part of the issue about how the 28X proposal had minimum amount of advance notice for community engagement, and that it had too few stops? (The 28 bus is also heavily used for intra-Blue-Hill-Ave trips, beyond just a radial line to/from Nubian and Ruggles.)

I think these particular issues can be resolved with more careful planning and communication, which seems to be what they're doing now. You'll probably still get opposition from car owners and business owners complaining about loss of parking lots, but at least you won't get dissatisfaction from transit riders on top of that.

I was project manager for a couple of transportation projects requiring EIS's, and despite some deep concerns from stakeholders, the projects got built. Community engagement, and alternatives that address the public's concerns are the key. Ongoing communication with the public throughout the planning process is vital. But to just allow an important project like this one to be shut down by some vocal groups? That's just plain stupid and unnecessary.

The plan should be announced one hour before construction starts. That’s how community engagement needs to be understood. Otherwise, you get absolutely obscene project timelines like these: 3D8EC690-A7AC-4B8C-A6C7-DD8A3A9636E2.jpeg

Reactions: FK4
Just came across this on Summer St pilot bus lane program, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet (AFAIK):
We're launching a pilot bus/truck lane program on Summer Street between South Station and South Boston beginning late Summer 2023. This project will include bus/truck lanes, better bike lanes, and improvements to pedestrian infrastructure. These updates will make this corridor more safe, reliable, and efficient for users.

SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 UPDATE

The Summer Street Bus/Truck Lane Pilot Project project is almost complete! We are on schedule to wrap up by early October and we will begin the evaluation process as soon as installation is complete.
Here's a poster from a Southie magazine:
IMG_1286-2.jpg

This seems to be behind schedule, but at least it looks to be almost here.

Last time I was down there, maybe 3 weeks ago, the beginnings of the markings had been put in place already. No red paint yet, but I thought I saw the white outlines down in some spots?

Just came across this on Summer St pilot bus lane program, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet (AFAIK):

IMG_1286-2.jpg

1) Why is the city encouraging trucking on Summer St when the Haul Rd exists? My one pet peeve with South Station is the dearth of 18 wheelers out front 😂.

2) 200% odds delivery/uber drivers ‘misunderstand’ the truck lane and anyone with a vaguely commercial purpose uses it to park.

1) Why is the city encouraging trucking on Summer St when the Haul Rd exists? My one pet peeve with South Station is the dearth of 18 wheelers out front 😂.

2) 200% odds delivery/uber drivers ‘misunderstand’ the truck lane and anyone with a vaguely commercial purpose uses it to park.
Center running bus lanes are preferable. Curbside lanes too often become illegal parking spots.

Correction. A small minority of local residents who have time and knowledge to go to public meetings.
It's not their fault for expressing themselves, it's the fault of decision makers for listening to them.

IMG_1286-2.jpg

Are they seriously doing side running paint-only lanes? Why even bother?

Are they seriously doing side running paint-only lanes? Why even bother?
For a pilot program, this is good enough and better than nothing at the very least. They can switch to center-running lanes later if the pilot is successful.

For a pilot program, this is good enough and better than nothing at the very least. They can switch to center-running lanes later if the pilot is successful.
If the pilot program works, then wouldn't they just make the fake bus lanes permanent?

The trucks need to drive on Summer St between Haul Rd and the Conley Terminal. Around 9am, traffic turns into a nightmare as the container trucks and Fed Ex fleet are turning out in full force. I think it makes sense to allow large trucks in the lanes, at least for the pilot program.

Let’s hope these bus lanes will be well enforced to prevent people from parking

Back