MBTA Construction Projects

I had completely forgotten that the whole Ashmont branch was having its stations rebuilt. Shawmut is looking nice with those doors (so THATS where the entrance is!)

I'm sure the T COULD add a park on top but it would require massive drainage reconstruction which would cost big$. The stations already were built on the cheap.

^^ About the old Hynes entrance and redevelopment, it would almost certainly need to be done in concert with the highway air rights, because otherwise it's limited to a ~15 ksf triangular lot with about 20 feet of frontage on Boylston Street and a wall bordering the highway that wouldn't have any windows in anticipation of a development over it.

Kenmore T work now in extra innings

By Mac Daniel | March 4, 2007

The eternal renovations at the MBTA's Kenmore Station on the Green Line were supposed to be done by the time "Dice-K" throws his first pitch at Fenway next month. But, no, that would be too easy.

"What is the timetable for returning the Kenmore Green Line T station to some semblance of normality?" wrote Susan of Boston in November. "The situation is highly unpleasant and even quite unsafe, but there is no indication of any progress being made or any notices giving an idea of a timetable. Can you find out from the T what is going on?"

The station project is 10 months behind schedule, T officials said last week, and won't be complete until the 2007 Red Sox season is well over, even if they make the playoffs.

In March 2005, when work began, the job was scheduled to be done last January.

T officials say the new stairs to both platforms of the station will be ready by April 10 -- opening day -- but the planned glass canopy for the buses and all the planned greenery surrounding the site won't be done until at least November. Maybe later.

The $31 million project ($22.7 million for construction alone) will overhaul the overworked station. The station has been kept open while construction has continued, and that's one of the reasons behind the 10-month delay, T officials say.

"It's extraordinarily difficult to do this kind of construction while keeping the station open the entire time," said Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the T, who noted that the authority had problems getting some of the necessary permits from the city.

The positive spin? By opening day, the station's elevated platforms will be 90 percent complete. Can I hear a yahoo? Anyone?

Contractor Barletta Heavy Division is trying to make up for the lost time by working double shifts. The firm is also seeking an extra $2.2 million because of the delays.

If it's any consolation, Dice-K makes more.

What a guy ...

Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the T, who noted that the authority had problems getting some of the necessary permits from the city ...

What an f-ing cop-out.

business as usual

Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the T, who noted that the authority had problems getting some of the necessary permits from the city ?

Who could have anticipated the need for permits. T construction projects us usually on time and on budget

Maybe the MBTA and their contractors knew they needed permits, but their plans weren't up to snuff?

Those temporary stairways that were in use for awhile sure weren't inspiring my confidence about emergency events ...

I christen thee "brotosaurus ribs" :D

img5232mr7.jpg

Question about the construction in Kenmore: is it supposed to make the square more pedestrian-friendly (I remember Menino advocating something along those lines) or is this merely the erection of a showy bus shelter?

czsz said:
Question about the construction in Kenmore: is it supposed to make the square more pedestrian-friendly (I remember Menino advocating something along those lines) or is this merely the erection of a showy bus shelter?

More trees than before, but the whole thing is mostly an upgrade to what used to exist. Less industrial, more modern.

Uh oh...they're not really planning to brick all the sidewalks, are they?

Who's looking forward to standing in that "shelter" (optimized to catch the North wind off the Charles) in January?

It would look nice in Miami, Dallas, or Atlanta. In Boston, worthless!

Beton Brut said:
Who's looking forward to standing in that "shelter" (optimized to catch the North wind off the Charles) in January?

It would look nice in Miami, Dallas, or Atlanta. In Boston, worthless!

The first thing I thought when I arrived in Boston, and saw the Blandford Street T stop, is who the hell thought that would be a good idea, in Boston

Prediction: drunken Sox fan, noting the striking resemblance that wind tunnel structure has to monkey bars, will climb up the trusses to cheers of other drunken Sox fans, fall down, and be promptly squished by lead-footed MBTA bus extraordinaire.

Menino will pass a stone, and the T will trim the structure in concertina wire, the look of which over time will be softened over time by wind-blown Dunkin Donuts detritus.

Chumbolly you have it all wrong:

After about 3 months the trusses and the glass will be so dirty nobody will want to touch them.

After 6 months of pigeons shitting on people waiting under the structure they will put up those spikes to prevent the birds from landing.

The "ribs" are too thick and clunky looking. These ribs look like cast offs from a modern day roller coaster. The structure doesn't seem to offer much shelter from the sides. I can imagine standing under this thing in the dead of winter with a bone chilling wind going right through me! I would have preferred an elegant Buckminster Fuller type glass dome structure here, incorporating some modern neon suspended from the ceiling. I think that would have been a youthful and cool look for this area and would have looked great at night. I have to say that I just look forward to this project being completed. Progress on this site has been slow that it seemed like only one man was doing all the work!

Meadowhawk said:
Progress on this site has been slow that it seemed like only one man was doing all the work!

id be surprised if it was more than one man...

that one man of course is always surrounded by the other 10 who are watching him do the work

It's rather sad that the original tunnel and station (which had more ornate tile work and difficult excavation) took less time than the current 'renovation'.

Morton Street on the Readville CR line just reopened as a real train station,

MortonSt_Station_Lg.jpg

There are four more new stops coming, so slowly this might become more like Boston's fifth rapid transit line. If only they bought a few DMUs and ran them on even a 15min schedule...

justin

Back