MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

I wonder if they are going to open up the Brattle Loop for future West Medford service?

I wonder if they are going to open up the Brattle Loop for future West Medford service?

It already is sorta open for Garden events. Medford's supposed to be a D end-to-ender, but that'll be impossible to swing at reasonable headways during rush hour. So, yes, ample Brattle Loopage on a daily basis when that's open.

The wall coming down opens up a shitload more space in general. No more crowding near the far Blue stairs. And lots, lots more vendor space on the other side of the loop tracks. Hard to describe unless you've actually been on a train through there, but it really is a whole other station back there. One-side-of-Copley approximate. The wedge is going to seem absolutely CAVERNOUS with the extra space, better people distribution, and the sunlight. I may hate garish glass bird-poo trap headhouses on principle, but fuck the bunker...this is gonna be a real revelation when it's done.

Just saw this last week, new Gateway Center "T" station in Pittsburgh:

Gateway-Station-386-300x225.jpg

Waste of money, IMO, but they claim it brings "sunlight underground."

The MTA in New York is building a huge new headhouse downtown to do the same at Fulton St. From the pictures I've seen it looks like it's going to be very dramatic.

Jesus even Pittsburgh is lapping Boston architecturally.

^ yeah I am moving there in the fall. I was shocked to find out how beautiful the city is and how much development is going on. they are building a new 600ft skyscraper, just finished that light rail projects, working on a BRT line, and a host of smaller infill projects. Apparently the city has really tuned a corner with 2010 being the first year in decades the city gained population, and 2011 expanded that gain. check out my "moving to Pittsburgh" thread in the "general" discussion to see other projects that are happening there.

P.S. this is what the above station head house used to look like.
August_2009_Gateway_Center_Station_Entrance.jpg

A buddy of mine just spent some time there and was shocked by how much he liked it all.

Well, Pittsburgh has had dedicated busways since the 70s, arguably they had the first "BRT" in the states. Sadly, they seem to be facing the same kind of deficit troubles the MBTA is, so their buses might be brutally cut by the fall.

Unfortunately, downtown Pittsburgh is dead after 5:30pm, everyone flees to their neighborhoods. However, many of the neighborhoods are quite nice, and I think a Bostonian would find themselves at home in some. I lived in Shadyside for awhile, which has nice, relatively small streets and many old multifamily homes, so decent density.

I spent a night of my bachelor party in Pittsburgh and was impressed with the downtown, baseball stadium, ballet (strippies), etc. but it was EMPTY after dark.

(Disclaimer: I was in Pittsburgh on a Sunday night because my bachelor party was over Labor day weekend and I spent Fri/Sat in Cleveland. But still, it was dead.)

Well, Pittsburgh has had dedicated busways since the 70s, arguably they had the first "BRT" in the states. Sadly, they seem to be facing the same kind of deficit troubles the MBTA is, so their buses might be brutally cut by the fall.

Unfortunately, downtown Pittsburgh is dead after 5:30pm, everyone flees to their neighborhoods. However, many of the neighborhoods are quite nice, and I think a Bostonian would find themselves at home in some. I lived in Shadyside for awhile, which has nice, relatively small streets and many old multifamily homes, so decent density.

Mat -- do you know Squirrel Hill -- my brother just moved to Pit from Ox to join Goog

His house on Wilkins is somewhere between Sq H and Shadyside

Just saw this last week, new Gateway Center "T" station in Pittsburgh:

Gateway-Station-386-300x225.jpg

Waste of money, IMO, but they claim it brings "sunlight underground."

Here's how they did it in London for the Jubilee Line Extension at Canary Wharf

Canary_wharf_tube_station_750px.jpg

This is the Canada Water Station on the line

800px-Canada_Water_station_building.JPG

But not all of the stations are Jubilee Gems
800px-Bermondsey_station_building.JPG

Last edited:

Couldn't we have had some kind of free-flowing, organic structure replace it? Something like a big version of this?

Damn hippies!!

lol

Mat -- do you know Squirrel Hill -- my brother just moved to Pit from Ox to join Goog

Yes, I lived for one year in that area. There's not much there except a CVS. It's about a 15 minute walk to the business districts of Squirrel Hill or Shadyside.

I believe Google just moved their offices from CMU to "Bakery Square" which is the part of East Liberty abutting Shadyside, near Highland Avenue. It's all gentrified now. If so that's not a bad spot to live, although it is a massive hill to climb on the way home.

Notables from 5/2/12 MBTA/MassDOT Board Agendas:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/public_meetings/?id=23171

Authorization to enter into a contract with Gilbane Building Company/HDR Engineering Inc. for additional Design Engineering Services for the “Green Line Extension Project” in an estimated sum not to exceed $19,027,183.00 with a duration of fifteen (15) months from the date of the Notice to Proceed.

Authorization to enter into a contract with HNTB in the amount of $36,483,393.09 to fund Preliminary Engineering and Environmental Review for the South Station Expansion Project.

Great area. I lived on Wilkins while going to grad school at CMU. If I didn't live in Boston, I'd live in Pittsburgh.

Meh, looks OK, but nothing to get excited about.

Gov%20Center%20Station%20Web%209.jpg

This will be very welcome - additional space between the T and the escalator.

Gov%20Center%20Station%20Web%2011.jpg

This was omitted and it is the most interesting of the renders -- the view from the inside looking out -- Look MA No Bunker!
govtcenter3(1).jpg

Indeed, you'll soon be able to experience the splendor of Government Center without having to deal with the cold wind that's been used to disparage it for the last 40 years. Joy?

Indeed, you'll soon be able to experience the splendor of Government Center without having to deal with the cold wind that's been used to disparage it for the last 40 years. Joy?

CZ-- the view toward the Sears Block is nice "Olde Boston" -- of course there is a view towards Menino that could use some improvements

The demolition of Orient Heights Station has been underway since 7AM today. Ironically, if the T waited another six months, it would have fallen down on its own.

Don't worry -- I took plenty of pics about an hour ago, and will post them later tonight in a new project-specific thread. (Gotta take my lovely assistant to dinner first...)

Back