MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

I see foreigners and old people "tapping" their card on the little "EXIT" stickers on faregates all the time. Shouldn't be that hard to get people to tap out when those who are hardest to re-teach a concept to (tourists and old people) are already tapping out. :)

I see foreigners and old people "tapping" their card on the little "EXIT" stickers on faregates all the time. Shouldn't be that hard to get people to tap out when those who are hardest to re-teach a concept to (tourists and old people) are already tapping out. :)

You look at any station in the system and you look at all the many exit-only ways out that lack fare gates...

Are you fucking kidding me?

Now property owners apparently own the street right of way as well?

The selfishly smug denizens of JP demand their God given right to double park their Gaia saving Prius outside their favorite hip trendy commercial establishment. The streetcars, buses, and bikers, not to mention the environment, affected by this don't matter in their small self centered universe.

Give it a few years and the same assholes will want the 39 bus gone in their quest to turn JP into a 'edgy artsy' mini-West Roxbury.

I don't know what it's like on weekdays, but whenever I use Ruggles on weekends there are plenty of other people getting on or off commuter trains with me.

If Ruggles is to have two separate commuter rail platforms, a train announcement system in the lobby (both audible and visual) is going to be very important!

Announcements are certainly a good idea, but presumably the platform pattern will mirror BackBay, which is very consistent -- track 1 is outbound, track 2 is inbound, track 3 alternates with the prevailing direction. Boarding to go outbound would always be on the platform between tracks 1 and 3.

Ruggles only gets 49 weekday boardings, per the Blue Book.

There is absolutely no way this could be true. If you ever board a train there, you'll see close to that many people for a single train. They don't know the true number, because they don't collect fares from the people who board at Back Bay until after Ruggles, so all of the Ruggles riders are likely being counted with Back Bay passengers.

There is absolutely no way this could be true. If you ever board a train there, you'll see close to that many people for a single train. They don't know the true number, because they don't collect fares from the people who board at Back Bay until after Ruggles, so all of the Ruggles riders are likely being counted with Back Bay passengers.

Actually, the Blue Book only reports inbound boardings, so that number is likely correct. We don't (well, I don't, someone else might) actually have any ridership numbers for outbound boardings at any Commuter Rail station.

(JFK/UMass is the big 'winner' with a grand total of 1 regular inbound boarding daily, according to the Blue Book!)

In fact, I'm frankly surprised that 49 people daily are getting on a train to South Station at Ruggles.

I see foreigners and old people "tapping" their card on the little "EXIT" stickers on faregates all the time.

lol after I got back from a year in Japan I unconsciously did the exact same thing my first trip back on the T.

Actually, the Blue Book only reports inbound boardings, so that number is likely correct. We don't (well, I don't, someone else might) actually have any ridership numbers for outbound boardings at any Commuter Rail station.

That's a problem, and not just for Ruggles. Some people ride the commuter train into Boston from Porter Square, but a LOT more people ride it outbound (most transferring from the Red Line or the #77 bus).

The next Blue Book figures with updates for Commuter Rail boardings may include outbound boardings, or a separate map with just outbound boardings. I forget where this came up, but there was a public meeting where the MBTA was urged to do this and they agreed. Don't know if they'll actually do it.

You mean there's going to be a next Blue Book someday?

You mean there's going to be a next Blue Book someday?

Yes. There's one for 2011, I think. But most of it is the same as 2010, minus some sections entirely. I'm not sure whether there will be one this year, nor whether it will have an update to any of the interesting figures we seek.

Isnt there a new one every year?

Do they ever measure how many people get off the train at a station, or only how many people board?

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...2/09/mbta_to_hold_meeting_on_20m_pr.html?camp

MBTA to hold meeting on $20m project to rebuild Boston College Station
Posted by Matt Rocheleau September 28, 2012 02:21 PM

The MBTA will hold a public meeting next month about an estimated $20-million project to rebuild Boston College Station, the terminus of the Green Line’s B branch.

The project, which calls for relocating passenger platforms to the center median of Commonwealth Avenue, is in an early design phase. It is unclear when the project would start.

The T plans to continue to the next design phase this fall, but the project’s future after that remains unclear because the agency needs to find outside funding – enough to cover nearly all of the plan’s estimated cost – to be able to finish designing and to do the construction, spokesman Joe Pesaturo said.

The public meeting to discuss the project’s latest progress is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Oct. 9 at the Brighton Marine Center at 77 Warren St. in Brighton in conference rooms 1 and 2, which are on the building’s third floor.

Passengers currently get on and off of trolleys in a rail yard north of Commonwealth Avenue’s two westbound lanes, across the street from an entrance to the Boston College campus.

B branch tracks run down the center of Commonwealth Avenue. Trains enter and exit the rail yard near BC on tracks that cross the two westbound traffic lanes near the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue and Lake Street.

The project calls for building platforms within the center median of Commonwealth Avenue on either side of the tracks just east of Lake Street, which T officials said will improve accessibility and would decrease how often trolleys need to interrupt traffic to get into and out of the rail yard.

A diamond crossover would be installed east of the platforms to allow for trolleys to switch from outbound to inbound tracks without having to access the rail yard.

Work would also include constructing a canopy above the inbound platform; some track relocation; installing a mini-high and two portable lifts; upgrading power, signal and communications systems; and updating crosswalks and traffic signals. The passenger platforms would comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The number of traffic lanes on roads surrounding the project would not change. But, to allow room for the platforms in the median, the plan does require Commonwealth Avenue’s two eastbound lanes to be shifted south slightly near the roadway’s intersection with Lake Street.

The T would continue to use the rail yard, Pesaturo said.

“By separating the boarding and alighting area from the light maintenance/vehicle storage yard area, we believe the reconfigured Boston College Station will minimize traffic conflicts and establish safer, more visible and more customer-friendly Green Line access at the B Branch terminus,” MBTA Acting General Manager Jonathan R. Davis wrote in May in a letter that State Senator William Brownsberger posted to his website.

The project’s planning to date has been funded by a 2011 federal grant of $656,000 appropriated by the US Congress to fund preliminary design of improvements to Boston College Station, according to Davis’ letter. The grant required a 20-percent match of $164,500 in T funds.

The project reached the “15-percent design” state in August. Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. is under contract with the T to provide a “30-percent design” and perform an environmental review next month.

If and when funding sources outside of the T are found, officials expect it would take about five months to find a firm to complete the design process and then another nine months to a year before the design is finished, Pesaturo said.

He said the project would then go through a bidding process for the construction contract.

Construction would take about two years to complete.

Pesaturo said that MBTA staff will consider trying to hire one company to both design and build the project, which could allow for it to be completed in a quicker fashion.

Three years ago, the T spent about $296,000 on another project at Boston College Station to make accessibility improvements to the passenger platforms within the rail yard.

There's also a rendering in the linked article.

Why does this cost $20 million?

bcstationprelimdesign1-thumb-520x345-83859.jpg

I just can't figure out why they're pushing for this. I spent a little bit of time at BC snooping around. I don't see what they're talking about. The construction manager claimed that the accessible path runs around the yard completely. I never bothered to look before, but I checked, and there is no such path.

There is one problem: the mini-high is located at the rear end of the platform. This means that it cannot be used to reach trains on the inner loop. But surely this can be worked out with either a change in operations or some reconfiguration.

For $20 million I'd rather they work on widening and fixing the platforms at Chestnut Hill Ave and Chiswick Road. Those are absolutely pitiful, with hardly a place to stand and wait.

(And yes, it is a damn shame that construction costs are so high. Even accounting for the fact that they need to keep service running through the construction.)

Why does this cost $20 million?

bcstationprelimdesign1-thumb-520x345-83859.jpg

The BU Central and BU East rebuilds somehow went 7 figures over-budget and a year late despite having nothing but raised platforms, squat retaining wall, a half-dozen lampposts, and a couple fancy-pants bus shelters. There's, like...three times as much fodder for the contractor over-biller's imagination with these BC diagrams.

It's mind-boggling that public transit construction costs are so expensive. This is the type of stuff that makes people anti-transit.

This is a station that serves about 1,000 people a day and this station's $20m price is just a small portion of capital costs (think rolling stock, track maintenance, etc. Not to mention operating subsidies).

Compare this to the Route 128 expansion. That's a road that serves over 200,000 people per day and adding a lane cost $354 million. While the road was in operation, including upgrades to every bridge, new C/D roads, retaining walls, repaving the whole road, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out: why are transit capital costs so high? $20 million for a simple suburban open-air station is unjustifiable and illogical. I don't think the answer is "corruption" (there's really very little) or unions (128 was a union project). You should be able to build a station like this for a few million at most.

Eh, highway costs are pretty high too. I think there was this project called the Big Dig which will ultimately cost $24 billion.

The real question is: why are American construction costs so high?

The Big Dig was an incredibly complex tunnel system, I can understand why that's so expensive just like I can understand why T tunnels cost so much. But there seems to be an unexplained and broad divergence between the (high) cost of surface highway construction and the (outrageously, unbelievably high) cost of surface rail projects.

Back