MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Oh, knock it off with the passive-aggression. I said my piece in the RL/OL cars thread about what my insider sources lackthereof are. If you've got a problem with that use the ignore feature. Or go snitch to some RR.net administrator that I'm full of shit and get me satisfactorily banned from there. I'll say it again: it is very curious that you only show up on AB at all or say anything--anything whatsoever--when it's playing humorless nagging nanny to one single poster. There's a whole board out there, you know?

You have a lot of valuable knowledge to share. It is a waste that you are only choosing to use it reactively for some...I don't know what...chip on your shoulder. If that's how you want to define yourself, with ever-higher majority of your lifetime posts following this exact pattern, go right ahead. That's your problem.

Good night, sir.

You are taking up four paragraphs on a public board to sound the alarm that it looks like there are major problems with the locomotives, when you have nothing but a few words of hearsay from railroad.net to go by. Seems worthy of a response since nobody really knows if the sky is falling yet.

You are taking up four paragraphs on a public board to sound the alarm that it looks like there are major problems with the locomotives, when you have nothing but a few words of hearsay from railroad.net to go by. Seems worthy of a response since nobody really knows if the sky is falling yet.

It's there if you want it, and if it bothers you so. . .

2j29ibm.jpg

Although doesn't seem you're finding much other motivation to post here, now, does it: http://www.archboston.org/community/search.php?searchid=1408521.

Good night, sir.

It's there if you want it, and if it bothers you so. . .

2j29ibm.jpg

Although doesn't seem you're finding much other motivation to post here, now, does it: http://www.archboston.org/community/search.php?searchid=1408521.

Good night, sir.

If you were just sending me direct e-mail, sure I could ignore. But you're posting speculation to a public board, where people reading it seem to have some interest in the topic and are curious about facts and maybe seperating out facts from over the top speculation.

If you were just sending me direct e-mail, sure I could ignore. But you're posting speculation to a public board, where people reading it seem to have some interest in the topic and are curious about facts and maybe seperating out facts from over the top speculation.

Since you want to continue pursuing this to the nth degree, let me ask:

Why haven't you taken the opportunity yet to report lying sack-of-shit old me to the RR.net moderators? I do a whole lot more speculating over there, as you are quite well aware because you nitpick my posts there remotely from your perch here. And they are a whole lot less tolerant of naughty, naughty foamers with big big imaginations over there. If you'd acted before Otto lost his admin job, I guarantee it would've been successful at getting me added to the ranks of the disappeared.

I don't see you over there doing that because...well, there's nobody over there with such an obsessive interest in tailing me and fact-checking every piece of drivel that comes out of my mouth. I do see you using three-quarters of your lifetime post count here doing just that. You do what you want with your own posts, but that's the single-issue candidate you're defining yourself as. Not "I have valuable information I'd like to share", but "Can't you see this guy is full of shit!" Post after post, reappearance after reappearance.

Your choice how you negatively you want to present yourself and how many times you want to reinforce that raison d'etrê with repetition. I sleep very well at night knowing I can at least present myself in 3 dimensions on AB, even when 2 of them are "fulla shit" and "insane".

Since you want to continue pursuing this to the nth degree, let me ask:

Why haven't you taken the opportunity yet to report lying sack-of-shit old me to the RR.net moderators? I do a whole lot more speculating over there, as you are quite well aware because you nitpick my posts there remotely from your perch here. And they are a whole lot less tolerant of naughty, naughty foamers with big big imaginations over there. If you'd acted before Otto lost his admin job, I guarantee it would've been successful at getting me added to the ranks of the disappeared.

I don't see you over there doing that because...well, there's nobody over there with such an obsessive interest in tailing me and fact-checking every piece of drivel that comes out of my mouth. I do see you using three-quarters of your lifetime post count here doing just that. You do what you want with your own posts, but that's the single-issue candidate you're defining yourself as. Not "I have valuable information I'd like to share", but "Can't you see this guy is full of shit!" Post after post, reappearance after reappearance.

Your choice how you negatively you want to present yourself and how many times you want to reinforce that raison d'etrê with repetition. I sleep very well at night knowing I can at least present myself in 3 dimensions on AB, even when 2 of them are "fulla shit" and "insane".

I don't care about getting anybody banned anywhere. You or anybody else are free to say and think whatever you want. But it is a public forum, and I think its reasonable to present facts and/or alternative interpretation of facts to a group that seem to be interested in keeping up with current events and maybe finding out a little bit of history in the process. As I said before, I primarily come to this board to read (not talk) about development, I then check out the transit forum. Its not my fault that you are the primary poster of transit topics on this board. I would respond to anybody else if they had made the same comments. I read what you wrote on railroad.net after you posted links to what you wrote over there here. If you don't want me or anybody else reading your posts there, don't post links here. I don't quite understand why somebody interested enough to write four/five paragraphs on a topic then isn't interested to defend their facts or debate their position.

Railway Age has a brief story on the first MBTA locomotive being delivered to the test center in Pueblo CO. The photo they show though is actually the one here in Boston.
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php...al/first-mbta-hsp-46-at-ttci-for-testing.html

What is interesting from the short article is the fact that the carbody design and paint scheme actually came from noted industrial designer Cesar Vergara. (I assume all the paint schemes the public voted on came from him).

Still not a fan of the half-purple roof that's kind of visually unanchored to anything, but the front-loaded black lower half is a very good and practical idea. That'll hide the winter grime, dings, and bug splatter excellently vs. the silver stripes below the windows on all current paint schemes. If anything else on the roster stays long enough to see a refreshed paint job they really need to replicate that. Only have to look at a majority-silver Amtrak warhorse to see how poorly a light + neutral scheme holds up to constant flotsam pelting the nose: http://subwaynut.com/mbta/r128/r1284.jpg.

I don't care about getting anybody banned anywhere. You or anybody else are free to say and think whatever you want. But it is a public forum, and I think its reasonable to present facts and/or alternative interpretation of facts to a group that seem to be interested in keeping up with current events and maybe finding out a little bit of history in the process. As I said before, I primarily come to this board to read (not talk) about development, I then check out the transit forum. Its not my fault that you are the primary poster of transit topics on this board. I would respond to anybody else if they had made the same comments. I read what you wrote on railroad.net after you posted links to what you wrote over there here. If you don't want me or anybody else reading your posts there, don't post links here. I don't quite understand why somebody interested enough to write four/five paragraphs on a topic then isn't interested to defend their facts or debate their position.

And I don't understand the motivation of registering on a forum and only showing up for the near-sole purpose of shadowing ONE POSTER and one poster only. Complaining indignantly about said one poster's lack of credibility while catering all information you present to the board only as a credibility-undermining counterpoint to one poster. And holding out on contributions in any other context. Then disappearing entirely for days/weeks at a time in the interregnum(s) where said one poster is not being an affront to your own notions of forum decorum.

What an utter waste of time and mental energy that is. Not to mention an utter waste of the knowledge you can impart on this place to only offer your observations reactively as an attack vector against someone you have a purely personal beef with. The more you chomp and needle at this bit the more you define yourself as a one-issue candidate and somewhat obsessed stalker type utterly uninterested in the general flow of discussion. I know you're not trying to be, but...look at the ever-increasing majority % of your lifetime posts that are doing nothing but this. It is what it is, and that's YOUR credibility and the side of you that YOU are choosing to define to AB. If you're trying to warn this board off some snake in the grass trying to lead them all astray, you're doing an absolute piss poor job of it.

I make no bones about the fact that I'm motivated by a provocative discussion, or my willingness to reconsider when a missing piece of the puzzle comes to light. If people have a problem with that or are uncomfortable with me coming on a little too strong or a little too arcane for the tenor of a discussion...they should have no hesitation whatsoever about bringing that up. I need to know that to be able to adjust. There have not been many complaints at all in the 3 years I've been here, nor any signs of tension beyond some momentary dust-up in a rowdy discussion that's water under the bridge within hours. I can only conclude that there are few if any people overly bothered.

And none who seem to want a different type of forum rules altogether than what AB is, like you seem to be insistent on. This site was founded in part as an antidote to the suffocating overmoderation at RR.net and deadly seriousness pervasive in the previous forum administration. If you don't like that, don't post here. Don't read here. And definitely don't waste your energy getting all worked up about what individual people are saying here. Do not tell me that purposefully trying marginalize someone and poison the well for other posters with constant warnings isn't action on the bannination spectrum. You're telegraphing complaints to the membership and moderators all the same in the hopes that there will be implicit sanctions, ignores, pushbacks, and general tune-out. This is what you want; this is what you're trying to accomplish. So I repeat: if you are obsessed enough about this to keep actively tracking my truthiness rap sheet on two boards at once and drag thread after thread slowly off-topic with this crap...go take that action over there where it carries more traction. You just come off as a thin-skinned ninny doing it here.

^ Would you quit beating this stupid drum? Both of you. You are getting as bad as Pits and Rifleman with this nonsense. If you want to continue to nag each other, take it to PM.

F-line, I think the reason he only corrects you is that none of the rest of us have enough to say about some of these things to bother being corrected on.

I said my piece, and apologize that this has gotten dragged off-topic just like the last flare-up on the DMU thread. It's clear enough where I stand, and if winston doesn't want to let that go that's his problem and his peril the next time he starts pulling a thread off-topic digging in on this. He's given enough tells what his agenda is, and it's not engaging or advancing the discussion. Read the posting history if you truly need to see for yourself why this is a deliberate pattern of behavior and not just an honest misunderstanding of intent (or don't, because that would be a pointless waste of time). Onus is on me to parse the value of the detail he's offering (which I can't understate: it's GREAT) without taking the bait. I think it's tragic that he doesn't want to offer up this information unencumbered by this one grudge, but that's his choice. Good info is good info, and deserves to be part of the knowledgebase no matter how it's delivered.

So how 'bout them bat-signal logoed locos, eh? Sure hope luck is on their side that they actually fucking work unlike the coaches.

For the record, if you guys want to have a knock-down drag-out fight over some transit topics, and all your attacks on each other are at least educational for the rest of us less educated, I say pass the popcorn.

I said my piece, and apologize that this has gotten dragged off-topic just like the last flare-up on the DMU thread. It's clear enough where I stand, and if winston doesn't want to let that go that's his problem and his peril the next time he starts pulling a thread off-topic digging in on this. He's given enough tells what his agenda is, and it's not engaging or advancing the discussion. Read the posting history if you truly need to see for yourself why this is a deliberate pattern of behavior and not just an honest misunderstanding of intent (or don't, because that would be a pointless waste of time). Onus is on me to parse the value of the detail he's offering (which I can't understate: it's GREAT) without taking the bait. I think it's tragic that he doesn't want to offer up this information unencumbered by this one grudge, but that's his choice. Good info is good info, and deserves to be part of the knowledgebase no matter how it's delivered.

So how 'bout them bat-signal logoed locos, eh? Sure hope luck is on their side that they actually fucking work unlike the coaches.

F-Line feel free to post as you do -- I don't always agree with your stuff -- especially when its a topic with which I'm well versed -- BUT -- I always find the posts to be informative and generally well thought-out

MBTA demolishes Dorchester bridge, moves new one into place

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/11/10/mbta-demolishes-dorchester-bridge-and-moves-new-one-into-place/iHrsJAcJrUeuu5gFlCZkRI/story.html

On Friday night, the MBTA demolished a 102-year-old bridge that carries Red Line trains over Clayton Street in Dorchester and less than 24 hours later had its replacement moving into position.

The MBTA was attempting an Accelerated Bridge Construction project for the first time on a subway line this Veteran’s Day weekend.

It set out to replace the overpass near Fields Corner in just 56 hours and have trains running again Monday morning.

Allow me a minute to rant.

As many of you are aware, Orient Heights has been shut down since late March for re-construction. The plan - as presented to the community - was for the station to be shut down from March 25 until mid-October. Ostensibly, passenger traffic at the station would have resumed while finish work continued in the new administrative offices, etc. The entire project is scheduled to be wrapped up in the spring.

Long story short, the station - to the naked eye - is substantially complete. The platforms are finished. The lighting is functional. Most of the signage has been hung, and the turnstiles/Charlie card machines have been in place for a few weeks. Hell, much of the landscaping around the newly completed busways has been complete.

Yet, here we are in late November and the station remains closed. (Mind you, we've recently been through complete renovations of State Street and Maverick stations where passengers were allowed to use these stations despite conditions being far more unfinished than what is currently at OH)

There were some rumors earlier this week that the station would reopen this weekend. (Among the sources was one of the Winthrop bus drivers). I had heard a number of explanations for the October to November delay inlcuding that the Boston fire inspectors were refusing to issue occupancy permits for the station. I don't know if that is true or not.

But this morning, the T sent out another tweet reminding riders that OH remains closed "through November" and to use shuttle buses. I have sent a few direct tweets to #mbta - and I know dozens of others have as well - asking about the station opening, all to no avail. Not even a response thanking us for our patience and giving a ballpark estimate on reopening.

As someone who rides the T, often defends the MBTA when warranted, and thinks the T is one of Boston's greatest assets - this is beyond frustrating. A few months ago, one of the countdown signs in Quincy Center wasn't working and I direct-tweeted the mbta about it. By the time my train pulled into Wollaston, my tweet had been answered and I was told the problem had been rectified. And yet, something as critical as a station opening can't even be acknowledged?

It's beyond frustrating and completely unnecessary. I will never understand why public agencies are so fearful of freely releasing useful information. You can never go wrong being proactive about keeping people informed. Even something as simple as "we're shooting for Nov. 25, but no promises" would be helpful.

Frankly, I had noticed a lot of improvements in communication/construction execution after Rich Davey took over the T a few years ago. But this experience over the past month and a half has really irritated me and I hope it doesn't become a pattern with the pending Gov't Ctr. and Callahan Tunnel shutdowns.

And if the fire department is playing a game of Cat-And-Mouse withe T regarding CO's, shame on them. You both work for the public. Work together and get this damn thing open!!!

End of rant. Sorry.

You're talking about the MBTA. It took them almost 3 years to build a simple 3 story elevator at Park Street.

I had heard it will be next Tuesday the 26th, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

The Winthrop bus drivers will be amongst the first to know for sure, since they have to know whether to begin their work at Wood Island or back at Orient Heights.

I had heard it will be next Tuesday the 26th, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

The Winthrop bus drivers will be amongst the first to know for sure, since they have to know whether to begin their work at Wood Island or back at Orient Heights.

And wouldn't you know it, the Winthrop buses posted notices today announcing the station would reopen Nov. 26. It's like they were waiting for me to post my rant. :)

MassDOT confirms that Orient Heights will open tomorrow 11/26:http://blog.mass.gov/transportation...on-reform-collaboration-leads-to-big-savings/
The $27.8 million Orient Heights Station Project will make the station fully accessible to all passengers and modernize the station, including installation of a new overhead pedestrian bridge, four elevators and two escalators, new mechanical and power systems, a renovated Train Operations Building, new platforms, and improvements to the bus access areas. The station will reopen tomorrow, Tuesday, November 26, after being closed since March 2013 for construction.

Did they decided to just close an extra month and a half and finish the whole thing? Or do they still have work with the administrative offices and etc.

If so, it is interpretable they are doing construction better. Though it seems they abandoned the plan to reopen in October to finish all the way and put a gag on their Social Media person. Not as clearcut, but at least it's not like the multi-year embarrassments of Kenmore or Park Street Elevator or other projects that epitomizes the most pathetic days of the MBTA.

Back