MBTA Construction Projects

The EGE

Reaction score
As an order-of-magnitude, a 1x2 foot piece of copper sheeting at Home Depot is $17. So that copper probably cost 1-2 grand - less than 0.1% of the project cost.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
[Copper is] quite expensive for a "cash strapped" agency.
I suspect it was a Historic District consideration, but it could also be a decent choice from a total life-cycle costs standpoint (similar to granite).

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
As an order-of-magnitude, a 1x2 foot piece of copper sheeting at Home Depot is $17. So that copper probably cost 1-2 grand - less than 0.1% of the project cost.
Does raise the question of why a single elevator costs $3.8 million at the MBTA, when the going rate for an elevator that can serve a whole building is in the $20k to $200k range depending on circumstances. Not as bad the MTA but still shocking price for what's essentially an elevator that travels one floor. A one floor hydraulic elevator shouldn't be nearly that expensive.

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
When you build new stuff in a historic district don't they sometimes ask for consistent materials?
Cambridge in general and Harvard Sq. in particular are anti-consistent about that. I learned from a decade living in the People's Republic that there's little rhyme or reason to the "neighborhood character" choices they make. "The Pit" is another 1980's creation that clashes more than it complements.

Compared to the anti-ADA nutters on the Beacon Hill Civic Assoc. who are at least consistent (-ly wrong) with their demands, Cambridge hasn't yet learned to try harder than than throwing shit at the wall.

whighlander

Reaction score

For those who can't be bothered to go hunting for it. Personally I think it looks really cool but yeah I'm not sure how it will age. Also as someone pointed out, quite expensive for a "cash strapped" agency.
T used to use copper extensively for anything exposed to weather -- e.g. the original Orange Line Elevated stations, Green Line Elevated station at North Station
Still some vestiges at Charles / MGH on the Red Line

HenryAlan

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the cost, I just think it is visually over the top. A copper roof and some highlights would be great. Copper walls, not so much.