MBTA Construction Projects

The current configuration allows for an accessible transfer between platforms - there's a single fare control area for both directions.

I suspect the behind-the-scenes reasoning goes like this:
1912-built viaduct needs reconstruction since it's 111 years old; station platforms need repair since the were built poorly
The station work is substantial enough to trigger code compliance needs - most notably, having a second egress point
There's no way you can have an emergency exit directly onto the traffic lanes, so there's only one place you can put it
Might as well make it a public entrance - it'll make the construction/cost, and possibly the alterations to the historic structure, more palatable.

It's certainly not a bad thing to have the second entrance. It's far from the the most valuable to add, but it will improve access to the Esplanade (getting from the station to Francis Appleton Bridge will be 1 crosswalk instead of 4) and to the west side of Charles Street.

View attachment 41882

A secondary entrance would be invaluable for the eventual construction of a red-blue connector whatever form it takes. Perhaps it would also allow the T to minimize construction time by letting construction workers occupy more space for their work.

I also know some Cambridge waterfront workers who come from Downtown and South Station CR who yeet at Charles in the mornings to enjoy the walk over to their offices because it's about as far from Kendall - especially north of the bridge. In the afternoons, they seem to not have a preference for Charles or Kendall - rather, chose which station based on weather, fatigue, etc. Would definitely help them out and maybe get a few more folks to exit a stop earlier.

Worcester second platform is in place

9B5AA07C-F60D-4FF6-BDEE-35DAD2588722.jpeg
D6A43206-C06F-4CB0-89FA-36C056D3D5F3.jpeg

There’s been some recent progress on the Franklin Line Double Track project (Phase II) near Norfolk station. It looks like the Rockwood Road (MA-115) crossing is soon to be expanded to fit 2 tracks. Pics are from 9/10.
8EEC462F-021A-4DF7-8E5D-2C3150D99040.jpeg
28574D29-7962-4384-8A9F-372743660184.jpeg

C4B67199-3DD3-486E-A437-CDEF8F12FB75.jpeg

Last edited:
Posted project update for the new Kendall MBTA outbound head house, via City of Cambridge Transit Advisory Committee (Dec 7 meeting):
Kendall Headhouse (Northbound / Alewife) Update - December 7, 2023

Of note:
Subterranean connection to temporary station entrance is currently under construction, with this temp entrance expected to open May 2024.
(then enabling existing headhouse demolition)

ks-temp-hh-24.png

^Temporary entry pathway (From within above presentation)

Last edited:
Posted project update for the new Kendall MBTA outbound head house, via City of Cambridge Transit Advisory Committee (Dec 7 meeting):
Kendall Headhouse (Northbound / Alewife) Update - December 7, 2023

Of note:
Subterranean connection to temporary station entrance is currently under contstruction construction, with temp station entryway expected to open May 2024.
(then enabling existing headhouse demolition)

View attachment 45558
^Temporary entry pathway (From within above presentation)

Cool, thanks for the update (this is also an exceptionally clear render for once). I would have guessed earlier than May 2024 since the signage on the Google lobby doors has been up for months now. Still, pretty important to keep an entrance at the extreme of the outbound platform during construction.

Both head houses involved a substantial temporary structure. It feels like they could have made the alternative entries more accessible as part of the projects for a similar expenditure.

I've felt like the section of the lobbies before the faregates could be made much larger at both headhouses. I'm disappointed that the lobbies here aren't being significantly expanded during the planning to redevelop these sites. It would be much easier to manage the crowded platforms here (even now!) if there was space to hold people outside the faregates in a safe & comfortable way.

Is this new entrance only temporary during headhouse reconstruction or do they intend to have some sort of access remain within the building?

Given that the recent presentation (link here) (see also schedule Stefal posted above) lists "tunnel decommissioning" as a project stage, it appears it is only temporary. The tunnel, I believe, will span across the chasm shown in EGE's photos, connecting those plywood-covered cut-outs in the old head house's basement wall, run beneath the new public outdoor staircase EGE was presumably standing on when taking the photos, and into the basement of 325 Main. Also (and this last part is somewhat speculative as I can't recall exactly where I saw this), I think that since the MIT COOP is eventually relocating to the 2nd Level of 325 Main, what is the temporary street-level MBTA entrance will actually change to become the entry vestibule for the COOP. This would also explain why the elevator shaft runs up to the 2nd floor and stops there. My guess is that the stairs to the basement in that temporary entryway will be decommissioned and a new staircase to the 2nd floor will be installed there. I believe the other public entryway along Main st. will go to what will be a food hall.

Back