MBTA thread(s) cleanup

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I propose nice clear topical separation for MBTA topics?

In particular, ArchBoston has a real niche in being able to discuss Bus, Silver, and Boat, Bike, The Ride. (which cannot be discussed on Railroad.net's MBTA forum)

And even for the rail stuff, here the same lines are discussed with a better feel for their role in making the city work, not just for their trainfulness.

How about:

MBTA Alerts & Today's Disruptions
MBTA Money & Governance, Reform, Funding, & Fare System
MBTA Multimodal: Boats, Bikeways, The Ride, Parking

MBTA Subways (Red, Orange, Blue, Green)
MBTA Bus & Silver Line (Yellow & Silver)
MBTA CR (Purple & Indigo) NSRL, xMU, & North/South/West Sta.

as needed, like

MBTA Late Night Extended Hours
MBTA Winter 2015 Shutdown & Recovery

van, can you please move the Waltham Developments thread into the Development Projects forum from the Greater New England forum.

Waltham doesn't fit in the Greater New England forum, which seems to be for cities outside of the Boston area (Providence, Portland, Hartford, New Haven, etc).

On the other hand, there are many projects and cities represented in the Development Projects forum that are in Waltham and other suburbs, ("Wellesley and other Metrowest Developments," "The "MERC" at Moody & Main," "Malden/Melrose," "Westwood Station").

Thank you.

I moved the Waltham thread, that makes sense.

As for the MBTA stuff there is no way we need that many threads. It's all going to get mixed together anyway so separating them will just lead of confusion.

THis has at least ripened to needing
- Fare system
vs
- Commuter rail
vs
General

The MBTA general thread is still too noisy, in my opinion.

And, given the the volume of discussion, I don't see a problem breaking it into threads the way that each large building project in the city gets its own once it graduates from the "What's Happeing With" thread

Just like in Development thread we have a general"What's Happening with X" we need a place where people can post things like "What's up with the Green Line today"

There are two dimensions to MBTA discussion:
x-axis: Lines by Color
y-axis: Ops&Now vs Capital&Future

Just like we accomodate new commercial and new retail in complex ways, I'd propose either of:

OPTION 1
MBTA What's Happenging: Ops, Delays, Repair Closures, & Status (all LRT & HRT)
MBTA What's Planned: Transformation and Capital Plans

OPTION 2
MBTA Green (Ops & Transformation)
MBTA Orange (Ops & Transformation)
MBTA Red (Ops & Transformation)
MBTA Blue (Ops & Future)
(we already have a Yellow & Sliver in the Bus & BRT thread)
(we already have a Purple in the Commuter Rail thread)

I think something like your first option is best. The "What's Happening" thread would be in keeping with the original (sarcastic) "Customer Service" thread, which became the MBTA general discussion thread.

The thing about Transformation and Capital Plans is that most of those sorts of projects should (and do) have their own threads. Would that be a "big picture" thread? A thread about FMCB meetings and politics? We don't want to overlap too much with individual threads *or* fall into the transit pitch realm.

Back